Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Towel Announcement!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Bar Towel Announcement!

Post by Cass »

Hey everyone,

I’ve got some exciting Bar Towel news to report today.

For a long time I’ve wanted to do something more in the beer scene besides BT itself and the Golden Tap Awards. Unfortunately I don’t have the time, money or knowledge to open a brewery or a bar. Maybe sometime, it would certainly be cool. So I’m doing something I’ve long wanted to do, and that’ll fit with everything else including BT and GTAs.

I’m happy to say that I have received my license from the AGCO to become a manufacturer representative (an importer).

My desire to do this is three-fold: one, to get a bit more into the beer industry, two, to help as I can with the beer offering here, and three, perhaps more exciting for everyone, is to shed some light on what it’s like to work with the powers that be in Ontario for Free Our Beer.

Now if anyone knows about how one gets a manufacturer license, you cannot get one without having a brewery who is willing to have you as their representative. Its a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing. Lucky for me I was able to find one: Garrison from Halifax.

Now this doesn’t in any way affect my enthusiasm to drive forward Ontario brewing. That’s what Bar Towel has always been about. This is to help expand my knowledge of the beer industry here, get some juicy content for FOB and hopefully bring some interesting brews to beer fans here.

To kick things off, I’m immediately starting a private order from Garrison. Their Imperial Pale Ale, Sugar Moon Maple Ale and Mix 6 pack will be available for those looking to get in on it. You can participate in the order directly at www.bartowelimports.com.

Anyway, I’m pretty excited about this. Would love to know your thoughts.

Cass
Last edited by Cass on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This is awesome! :) 8)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's a press release I wrote:

THE BAR TOWEL ANNOUNCES ITS APPOINTMENT AS EXCLUSIVE ONTARIO AGENT FOR GARRISON BREWING OF HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA

TORONTO, March 19 - The Bar Towel, through its partner corporation Cecktor Limited, is proud to announce that it has been appointed the exclusive agent in Ontario for Garrison Brewing Company of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

“We are thrilled to announce this exciting new venture for The Bar Towel and our new relationship with Garrison,” said Cass Enright, President of The Bar Towel. “The Bar Towel has always stood for promoting craft beer in Ontario, and now we will be able to help contribute to this directly with one of Canada’s premier breweries in Garrison,” he continued.

The Bar Towel intends on doing things a little differently as a brewery agent in Ontario. All dealings with the LCBO and other regulatory bodies will be documented on Free Our Beer (www.freeourbeer.org), a web site begun by The Bar Towel in summer of 2008 to raise awareness about the challenges craft beer drinkers face from a retail point-of-view. “We believe that Ontarians deserve the best that the beer world has to offer,” said Cass. “And we intend on shedding some light, from the inside, what it’s like to be in the beer business in Ontario.”

A private order will be the first way that beer lovers in Ontario can try Garrison’s ales. Starting immediately, consumers can join a private order to purchase full cases of the following:

The multiple-award winning Imperial Pale Ale
The new seasonal Sugar Moon Maple Ale
A mixed-six of different brands including Irish Red Ale, Tall Ship Amber Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Martello Stout Ale and Jalapeno Ale.

Consumers interested in being a part of this order can find out more information and apply online at www.bartowelimports.com.

“This represents a big leap forward not only for The Bar Towel, but for beer lovers of Ontario as well,” Cass continued. “Hopefully passionate beer fans will be able to try some new beers as a result of this,” he concluded.

Garrison Brewing Company is an award-winning independent Halifax microbrewery, producing distinctive, unpasteurized, all-natural ales in small batches. Now in it’s 11th year, Garrison distributes widely throughout the Maritimes and has nearly doubled sales since moving to the Halifax Seaport three years ago.

The Bar Towel is Ontario’s premier online destination for craft beer lovers in the province. The Bar Towel is the founder of the Golden Tap Awards, a leading awards event recognizing beer achievements in Ontario and Free Our Beer, a web site dedicated to craft beer retail reform.

For more information, contact: Cass Enright, President, The Bar Towel, cass@bartowel.com, 416-452-4049.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Congratulations Cass!!

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Congratulations Cass!

It is good to see more people who are willing to get into this, sometimes challenging, but never boring, passion and profession. The line is blurred, you will see it yourself. Also, congratulations on your first success, Garrison is a great brewery and it is wonderful that their beers are now available through Bartowel (we will take a case or two, for sure).

Best of luck!

Your friends at Roland + Russell

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Awesome! 8) The FOB project is one of the most innovative and credible ways to usher change in the current import beer retail monopoly that I have see thus far.

Great idea, good luck. Tell us what to do to help.

BTW how do we recieve/pick up our orders?
Last edited by pootz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Casshole!!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Wow! Amazing news!!! Congratulations Cass!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Now let's all start ordering some cases!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Pub Style wrote:Now let's all start ordering some cases!
Done!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Great news Cass!
Last edited by Jon Walker on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Tremendous news Cass, congrats

carguy

Post by carguy »

Congratulations! It will be great to have Garrison avaliable here in Ontario. Every time I go home, I pick some up to bring back, along with Propeller and Picaroons. Now, I'll have more luggage space, as I won't have to stock up on Garrison anymore!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I detect a conflict of interest. Unless...

Will you be giving the beer away free to all Bar Towelers? :P

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Congratulations! That's great. Order submitted. :D

I'm looking forward to the FOB postings. Hopefully that'll bring about some change.
lister