Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

nobeerstore.ca - any news?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

$

nobeerstore.ca - any news?

Post by $ »

Whatever happened to this...I've sent an email or two this year, no response.
Does someone else need to start it up again to try to make it an issue, in time for the next election at least?

www.nobeerstore.ca

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Cass' site is still up and active http://freeourbeer.org/

As for the actual efforts, I believe the petition was read in the legislature and given a polite f*** off from the government.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Not to toot my own horn, but I think that FOB has a bit more of a realistic goal than some of the other blogs that have popped up. Frankly the abolishment of the LCBO and the Beer Store won't happen and I think it's naive to believe so. Maybe *some* change is possible, however.

$

Post by $ »

I like your approach Cass, but I like the big attacks too. Basically, any pressure for change is good, attack on all fronts!

The nobeerstore petition, which I think was named incorrectly, actually just called for competition to the beer store, not the closing of the LCBO stores and The Beer Store.

It's not like we're talking about having private health care, I don't think it's naive to think major change can happen given enough, uh, decades.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

$ wrote:I like your approach Cass, but I like the big attacks too. Basically, any pressure for change is good, attack on all fronts!

The nobeerstore petition, which I think was named incorrectly, actually just called for competition to the beer store, not the closing of the LCBO stores and The Beer Store.

It's not like we're talking about having private health care, I don't think it's naive to think major change can happen given enough, uh, decades.

Change can happen, and over time I think it probably will. But we are such a small group that it is no wonder our voice is not often heard at the government tables. TBS and LCBO are big money makers for both the GOVT and the select companies that run TBS. Over 88% of Ontarians are more than happy with the current infrastructure. I think calling for the abolishment of either organization isn't going to make any inroads except into the garbage bin. It is going to take a long time and a lot of effort to move mountains.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!