Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

I.P.Eh?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sanchex wrote:Had it last night at the Black Tomato and was mildly disappointed. It would be a stretch to compare this to DFH and ST IPA... more of an IPA or PA in the British style. It tasted like Corporal Punishment but with less flavor and more bitterness. Overall, a decent beer but nothing to get excited about.
Yeah it isn't too crazy. Just a well made IPA with a marked bitterness that will hopefulyl help pave the way to get more people interested in regional beers with actual flavour.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Had this tonight at Volo. A good brew, with some distinctive orangey/peachy overtones. It was, however, BLOWN out of the water by the cask Mike Duggan # 9 IPA. I had it previously on draught at C'est what, but DAMN, the cask version is an EXTREMELY nice pint. West coast IPA fans take note...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

velovampire wrote:Had this tonight at Volo. A good brew, with some distinctive orangey/peachy overtones. It was, however, BLOWN out of the water by the cask Mike Duggan # 9 IPA. I had it previously on draught at C'est what, but DAMN, the cask version is an EXTREMELY nice pint. West coast IPA fans take note...
Exact same experience here. They were both great but the number 9 was heavenly.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Beau's was planning on having a party at the Cheshire Cat today to celebrate the launch of their IPA on cask. Unfortunately the event was rained out and postponed to May 24th.

I had a hunch that the beer probably arrived last night so went anyway.. and sure enough it was there. It was better than I had hoped. The volume on everything had been bumped up and the smell was sharp pine. It had a lovely soft mouth feel as well.. plus it just looked great after being poured from the hand pump.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ralphus, am I correct in assuming the cask will be back on the 24th?

bartle

Post by bartle »

I had a nice experience with this beer. It wasn't what I expected for an IPA. It seemed to be lacking something. It was bitter but it was lacking aroma and any dominate flavor. The dry finish made it an easy drinker.
By no means was this a bad beer, but I think I was expecting something a little more special.

I cannot get enough of Duggan's #9! That is liquid gold.

Cheers,

- B
enjoi

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

bartle wrote:I cannot get enough of Duggan's #9! That is liquid gold.
Hear, hear! It's absolutely heavenly on cask - one of, if not THE best Ontario IPA I've had.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Bytowner, here is the email that came via the "Beau's Army" facebook group:

Subject: Cask Party at the Cheshire is Rained Out. (Insert Sad Face Here)

Hey Everybody!

Well the cask party at the Chesire Cat in Carp is officially a rain out, BOOOO, but there is a rain date set for May 24th, YEAAAH!. So come out and party with the guys and gals from Beau's and the Chesire Cat to help celebrate patio season.

Once again, things kick off at 3pm and we'll probably peter out by 6pm. Cheshire Cat is located at 2193 Richardson Side Rd., Carp, ON, 613-831-2183, http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.cheshirecatpub.com

Cheers,

Rob

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Does anyone know if it's possible to get kegs of the Lug Tread directly from Beau's? We're hosting a mussel and beer night at my house, and the general census is that we should have Beau's to go with the food. We're in Ottawa so easy to pick up at the brewery if possible!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I think it is nickelass... I could swear I've seen someone on some forum somewhere say they regularly stocked their home bar with lugtread.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

BTW the Rain date on May 24th at the Cheshire cat featured the keg version - good.. but not cask :(

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hi,

I was talking to someone about how GREAT the hoppy American beers are, if you don't buy them up here but fresh in the USA!! Two examples are Lagunitas IPA (SO much better in NYC) and even Brooklyn Lager was brilliantly tasty with lots of great juicy delicate hop flavors and no metallic 'edge' (to be fair it was draught compared to bottled Brooklyn here, but also locally made.)

The point of my tangent is that local, fresh IPA on tap, incredibly well-made stuff, may be the closest thing we have to 'the real deal' therefore I do suggest people tale all pains to try the Duggan #9 two or ten times.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote: Two examples are Lagunitas IPA (SO much better in NYC)
Seriously? Better in NYC? After coming all the way from California? I know I'm nitpicking but that's hardly a good example of local equating to fresh, particularly if your comparison point is a purchase in NYC vs Ontario. It may speak more to the inefficiency of the LCBO in getting product to shelves quickly.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote:
Belgian wrote: Two examples are Lagunitas IPA (SO much better in NYC)
Seriously? Better in NYC? After coming all the way from California? I know I'm nitpicking but that's hardly a good example of local equating to fresh, particularly if your comparison point is a purchase in NYC vs Ontario. It may speak more to the inefficiency of the LCBO in getting product to shelves quickly.
Yep it was better for whatever reason shipping-wise etc. They sell a lot of beer quickly at Ginger Man, the USA itself is not magical.. I was making the case similarly for Duggan #9, which so long as it is fast-selling in its local market it similarly represents the potential of super-fresh hops in IPA really well. So #9 is kind of the ideal option we have been waiting for - not despite the limited distribution, but perhaps because of it. It's always new beer!

Remember ALL pre-industrial brewers used to be local small brewers, and it was in this climate that all major beer styles evolved (delicate lagers and Weisse in Germany, bitters and so on in the UK, etc.) Often in those days (as still sometimes today) you drank very new beer because it' was extremely local. It's not the nature of some beer styles to travel that well or keep for very long. By comparison some of the most 'acclaimed' styles are robust Imperial Stouts and Belgian Strongs which just happen to travel better -or it would at least seem so. People perhaps judge beers globally at face value, which may mean that in delicate styles of beer people judge good local ones to be "better" quality than those brought in from afar.
In Beerum Veritas

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

anyone know what happened to the ST IPA?

Can't find it in any Toronto LCBO...