Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westvleteren coming to T.O.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Westvleteren coming to T.O.

Post by Gedge »

That's the word according to Josh Rubin (via Twitter). He says one, maybe two, bars will have it and to expect to pay $$$.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

when?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Today Matt, you're going to miss it!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

No date given - "on its way".

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There was a false rumor on RateBeer that cases of bottles would be legitimately exported to North America, to help make some repairs to the Abbaye St. Sixtus. Presently the bottles only have caps identifying the brewery and which beer it is.

It would be exceptional to try a very fresh sample of any (Blonde, 8, 12) Westy on draught and the keg format would get around the total lack of bottle labels.

I bet some days it would be nice to work in the beer trade! "Yeah... that keg of 12 is showing a little more spice than it did yesterday morning!"
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

It's worth trying a Westy so you know just how good the Rochefort 10 really is.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Interesting news. I'll likely give it a miss only because I'm going to Belgium in August, but it still a nice opportunity for other folks to try it. I'm curious how high the price point could be set for this. I suspect there are people who would pay up to $50 for this beer. I also suspect it would be gone almost instantaneously (if it comes here at all).

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I agree with Bobsy that it could hit $50 (which was what one bar in NYC was charging). At that point you are looking at $60+ with taxes and tip. For that kind of bread you might as well roll the dice with one of the Ebay sellers.

Having said that, when I did roll the dice (successfully) a couple of years ago it came in at about $16-17 a bottle (bought six) including shipping, so who knows - maybe it'll sell at $25 -$30 a go.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Anybody know if this is a Westy one-off, or does the Abbey intend to keep selling it here for a while?
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote:
Anybody know if this is a Westy one-off, or does the Abbey intend to keep selling it here for a while?
the abbey doesn't ever intend to sell it anywhere except at their gates. and only to people who promise to purchase it only for their own consumption. that's one of the reasons (aside from their miniscule production) why it's so bloody hard to get. any westy which shows up on these shores is bought through 2nd and third parties.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

both Caffe Volo and Beerbistro received shipments of Westy 12 in the past month as well as St. Veronus in Peterborough and Chancey Smith's in London. Don't know if they are on the menus yet or whether you can ask for them. We'll have some St. Bernardus Abt 12 here in about a month and I can't wait to do a side by side which I have never done.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

If a secret handshake is required or name dropping could you please let me know? I'm heading up to Toronto this week to renew my Dutch Passport and I would love to indulge and savor a bottle of westy 12.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

when i was at volo on the 6th i saw a Westvleteren case off to the side of the bar. i assumed it was full of something other then Westvleteren product or i would have inquired.

id hate to think i missed it.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

when i was at volo on the 6th i saw a Westvleteren case off to the side of the bar. i assumed it was full of something other then Westvleteren product or i would have inquired.
That case has been there for years for display purposes - it is not to my knowledge related to this current shipment.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tupalev wrote:
That case has been there for years for display purposes - it is not to my knowledge related to this current shipment.
yeah i know it was there at cask days last year, thats why i didnt ask