Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2009 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:
carguy wrote:They even delisted Bitter and Twisted, which boggles the mind, as it was selling faster than they could order it. I guess I better save up on gas money, as I'll be once again cruising southern Ontario LCBO's in search for new beers.
They delist seasonals pretty rapidly it seems, although they are willing to bring more in from the warehouse if demand (and supply) is there.
Bitter and Twisted isn't a seasonal, it was added to the general list as a new "Super Premium" beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Garthicus wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Good news, folks, Chapeau Exotic is now on the shelves.
Well thank the f'n gods for that! I've been waiting for this elixir of life to show up!
Is this the same beer?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/chapeau-exotic/2133/

Yes it is Al. And if you haven't guessed yet, I was joking hehehe :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

PHEW - I was wondering :o

dmits

Post by dmits »

GregClow wrote: Margriet (Anker Blond) (6.5% - $2.70/330 ml - LCBO 119982)
I see this is on the LCBO website but its listed with 0 stores carrying. Was kind of looking forward to trying it... did I miss the release or has it not appeared on shelves yet?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

dmits wrote:
GregClow wrote: Margriet (Anker Blond) (6.5% - $2.70/330 ml - LCBO 119982)
I see this is on the LCBO website but its listed with 0 stores carrying. Was kind of looking forward to trying it... did I miss the release or has it not appeared on shelves yet?

Hasn't hit the shelves yet. No worries, you should be able to find some.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

do we have an ETA on the ST raspberry wheat?

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

most of the listings are up on the lcbo site, so we should see them in the next week or two?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I picked up a few bottles of the Het Anker Margriet at Queen's Quay today. They also had the Deuchars.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

This beer should hitting the shelves in the next day or so. It is coming in at the terrific bargain price of $2.10 per bottle.

For those not familiar with it here are the tasting notes from the LCBO site:

Tasting Note
This beer features a fantastic aroma of fresh raspberries. The taste is tart & crisp, with a raspberry flavour dominating, but also with a nice dry, slightly hopped finish. A very light & refreshing summer ale that can be paired with a variety of dishes.

Enjoy!
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roland + Russell wrote:This beer....
= Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat (4.5% - $2.10/355 ml - LCBO 119362)
(Oh you actually posted that in the 'subject' line but I rarely notice that line, just the post contents.)

Sounds great R & R! Thanks for the heads up on yet another great USA micro.
In Beerum Veritas

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

I generally love ST beers, with Jah-Va being my personal favourite, but I was not impressed with either the ST Raspberry Wheat or the Raspberry Porter I picked up in Buffalo last year. I thought the raspberry was very artificial tasting.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

kinguy wrote:I generally love ST beers, with Jah-Va being my personal favourite, but I was not impressed with either the ST Raspberry Wheat or the Raspberry Porter I picked up in Buffalo last year. I thought the raspberry was very artificial tasting.
Agreed - bought 6 tonight and found it to taste very much like a cherry/raspberry fluoride/cough syrup. Hopefully I can find some friends to take the other 5...

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

It would appear that there was a very limited distribution of the Ephemere Pomme. Wonder why...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

cannondale wrote:It would appear that there was a very limited distribution of the Ephemere Pomme. Wonder why...
Its possible it just got bought up by bars already?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

velovampire wrote:
kinguy wrote:I generally love ST beers, with Jah-Va being my personal favourite, but I was not impressed with either the ST Raspberry Wheat or the Raspberry Porter I picked up in Buffalo last year. I thought the raspberry was very artificial tasting.
Agreed - bought 6 tonight and found it to taste very much like a cherry/raspberry fluoride/cough syrup. Hopefully I can find some friends to take the other 5...
The ST Raspberry Wheat was easily my biggest disapointment of the summer so far. The raspberry was indeed slightly medicinal and I found a very unpleasant cardboardy cereal grain character underneath. The cardboard I tasted wasn't oxidative, but equally unpleasant.

I'm way more excited about the regional offerings that wll first arrive this summer from Creemore, Taps, Flying Monkey and Denisons than anything from the actual summer list.