Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2009 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Summer 2009 Release

Post by GregClow »

The following beers are planned to be included in the LCBO's Summer, 2009 seasonal beer promotion. The official release date for these beers is late May. Note that the prices listed below are estimates and are subject to change, as are all other details about the release, including the beers included.

Edelweiss Snowfresh Weissbier (5.0% - $2.05/330 ml - LCBO 73718)
Unibroue Ephemere Apple (5.5% - $5.50/750 ml - LCBO 74500)
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (5.4% - $3.05/500 ml - LCBO 75291)
Great Lakes Orange Peel (5.3% - $4.95/650 ml - LCBO 615633)
Christoffel Bier (6.0% - $2.80/330 ml - LCBO 696955)
Samuel Adams Summer Ale (5.3% - $13.45/6x355 ml - LCBO 76497)
Chapeau Exotic Lambic (3.5% - $2.40/250 ml - LCBO 676346)
Deuchars IPA (4.4% - $3.40/500 ml - LCBO 697649)
Margriet (Anker Blond) (6.5% - $2.70/330 ml - LCBO 119982)
Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat (4.5% - $2.10/355 ml - LCBO 119362)
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (4.4% - $3.35/500 ml - LCBO 118091)
Wittekerke Rosé (4.3% - $2.40/250 ml - LCBO 119990)
Hop Back Summer Lightning (5.0% - $3.45/500 ml - LCBO 698522)
Floris Ninkeberry (3.6% - $2.95/330 ml - LCBO 479154)
Last edited by GregClow on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I wish we found a way to combine great weather with great releases.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Buffalo here I come.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Here's something to think about;

If you take the scores of all these Summer 09 releases from Ratebeer (and I do want to say that I'm not suggesting Ratebeer scores are necessarily the be all and end all) and average them out this release gets a 48.9% It's also a release with only one beer that scores greater than 90% (Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier with a 96).

Compare that to the Spring 09 release which gets an average score of 60.7% and has numerous offerings that score in the high nineties.

The Fall 08 release gets an average score of 76% with a whopping seven beers over 90%.

However, last year's summer release only scored an average of 49.9%.

While I appreciate that the LCBO is trying to offer a variety of styles according to seasonal distinctions I just wish they could attempt to bring in BETTER beers for the summer season. Who the hell approved that Chapeau Exotic Lambic? Do they really think they're going to move a lot of those? Have these people never heard of Cantillon? And why the hell do so many Trafalgar beers creep into the seasonal releases when they usually get such abysmal scores?

Thoughts?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

probstk

Post by probstk »

This is a somewhat disappointing release in that they have brought back many from last summer and included some truly awful beer-pops.

Meh, whatcha gonna do? Spend more time at good bars, good brewpubs and road trippin' to the microbreweries around Ontario and Quebec, that's what. :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
Who the hell approved that Chapeau Exotic Lambic? Do they really think they're going to move a lot of those? Have these people never heard of Cantillon? And why the hell do so many Trafalgar beers creep into the seasonal releases when they usually get such abysmal scores?

Thoughts?
Yeah - expensive and rare Cantillon Lambic doesn't conveniently fill the province-wide ordering and distribution schemes the LCBO wants... while the soapy, perfumey Chapeau Exotic somehow does make such base requirements (even if it sells poorly.)

Our small consolation this summer, we do have two great American IPA's on General List, and Prima Pils is on its way. Did we not agree that is a 'serious' pils? Let's promote the heck out of Victory Prima by drinking lots of it and setting aside the arguably bland Summer release if we need to. Anyway... I stash enough beer to buy nothing all summer, so that's pro-active too (nice time of year for Orval!!)

So there's that, and maybe some gratifying trunkloads of Buffalo beer. We will survive, comrades! Chin chin... :D
Last edited by Belgian on Tue May 05, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I almost wonder if the LCBO is trying to target the vodka/wine cooler/cocktail set with the summer release by putting out a bunch of fruit based beers. The summer is supposed to be a time for whimsical refreshing drinks, so why not beer right? It wouldn't suprise me if these selections were made by a group of people with this mind set who know absolutely nothing about beer or good fruit beers, thinking they were being progressive, hip and exotic.

Side note: Have you seen the label for the Wittekerke Rose? My wife ordered that beer at a bar last year and even she was embarrased at how girly the label was. I'd rather go to the till at the LCBO with bottle of Girls Night Out wine than that embarrasing selection.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Funnily enough, my fiancee is excited about the Wittekerke and ST Raspberry and she loves all of the Floris beers, so that's one happy customer I guess.

The one that puzzles me is the Sam Adams. When they brought it in last season I was really disappointed with it. Of all the Sam Adams products they could bring in they choose this one. Maybe next year they will bring in the cherry wheat to keep the streak going.

Can anyone suggest any decent fruit beers? I nominate Dogfish Aprihop.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Gedge wrote:Funnily enough, my fiancee is excited about the Wittekerke and ST Raspberry and she loves all of the Floris beers, so that's one happy customer I guess.

The one that puzzles me is the Sam Adams. When they brought it in last season I was really disappointed with it. Of all the Sam Adams products they could bring in they choose this one. Maybe next year they will bring in the cherry wheat to keep the streak going.

id rather see DFH Festina Peche, the Aprihop isnt very fruit forward so it wouldnt sell to fruit beer customers. if you really want some Aprihop blend some 60min and St Ambroise Apricot.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Gedge wrote:Funnily enough, my fiancee is excited about the Wittekerke and ST Raspberry and she loves all of the Floris beers, so that's one happy customer I guess.

Are we talking just Fruit Beers, as defined by ratebeer, or also fruit Lambics?

New Glarus and Kuhnhenn make some pretty tasty fruit beers if you're heading stateside. We don't have a lot of super good fruits on our side of the border. A few in Quebec, where you'll also find some pretty nice ciders.

Not sure of the LCBO or its clientele are ready for "real" lambics....

beerbroker

Post by beerbroker »

I don't think you'll ever see Cantillon on the shelves at the LCBO after they poured a shipment of Kriek down the drain (the horror!) a couple of years ago because it didn't pass the lab test.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

probstk wrote: New Glarus and Kuhnhenn make some pretty tasty fruit beers if you're heading stateside. We don't have a lot of super good fruits on our side of the border. A few in Quebec, where you'll also find some pretty nice ciders.
New Glarus would be awesome, but they dont make it too far out of Wisconsin - turns out they can sell all their stock closer to home.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JerCraigs wrote:
probstk wrote: New Glarus and Kuhnhenn make some pretty tasty fruit beers if you're heading stateside. We don't have a lot of super good fruits on our side of the border. A few in Quebec, where you'll also find some pretty nice ciders.
New Glarus would be awesome, but they dont make it too far out of Wisconsin - turns out they can sell all their stock closer to home.
new glarus would be amazing but there are 45 states that will get it before we do. Kuhnhenn is again very wishful thinking. If we want good affordable fruit beers our only hope would be the OCB.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Kuhnhenn don't really bottle much of anything. The NG fruit beers are the best I think, good thing I have half a case sitting at home.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Yeah, Kuhnhenn only bottles their really special stuff, and in very limited runs, and with totally non-LCBO compliant labeling :) They're in Detroit though so it's not too killer a drive to go check them out.

New Glarus is a bit harder to get ahold of - you basically have to trade for it.

There's no way in hell that LCBO in its current form will ever carry those products.

Support your local brewers for seasonal brews!
Mat