Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

My guess of a 90+ percentage strike vote was correct.

We have voted an overwhelmingly 93% in favor of a strike. The employer has decided to start bargaining again on Tuesday.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

At the risk of escalating the political tensions here 8) I hope they do strike. I hope it's long and painful for everyone (like the strikes I experienced when I was in union jobs) and I hope the union keeps up its demands and combativeness with this stingy top heavy monopoly.

Because every negative event like this is one step closer to privatization/out sourcing/private franchising.

The union is unwittingly becoming a prime justification for LCBO liqudating to a private distribution system (can you imagine the revenue from selling LCBO properties to private buyers?).... selling troublesome retail and warehousing holdings and licencing the private independent operators ... LCBO converting to a sole import wholesaler/excise/licencing authority...leaner, more revenue less overhead expense.....delicious to watch history repeat itself in this province.
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:At the risk of escalating the political tensions here 8) I hope they do strike. I hope it's long and painful for everyone (like the strikes I experienced when I was in union jobs) and I hope the union keeps up its demands and combativeness with this stingy top heavy monopoly.

Because every negative event like this is one step closer to privatization/out sourcing/private franchising.
if harris didn't privatize the lcbo, it ain't ever going to happen. not saying i'm content with the way things work, just being realistic.

$

Post by $ »

tuqueboy wrote: if harris didn't privatize the lcbo, it ain't ever going to happen. not saying i'm content with the way things work, just being realistic.
The PCs never privatize anything, they are liberals.

I think the LCBO actually started getting better when Harris was in. I think he scarred them or something.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Harris "scarred" just about everyone in the province.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

$ wrote:The PCs never privatize anything, they are liberals.
Highway 407.
lister

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

The_Jester wrote:Harris "scarred" just about everyone in the province.
Heheh.

I'm with pootz. LCBO employees would be opening up a debate they can't win.

$

Post by $ »

lister wrote:
$ wrote:The PCs never privatize anything, they are liberals.
Highway 407.
ya, before it was even finished.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Looks like LCBO workers could be on strike by Wednesday. Time to stock up, maybe?

Strike looms at LCBO

Nice timing. :roll:
Here's to the slow path.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Looks like LCBO workers could be on strike by Wednesday. Time to stock up, maybe?

Strike looms at LCBO

Nice timing. :roll:

Timing is everything, and is another tool that the we, the members can use as leverage in dealing with the employer.

Let me be the first to say that a very large majority of LCBO staffers DO NOT want a strike. Our demands this period are quite modest, and I am actually surprised the employer has not agreed to our terms yet.

For some reason, they can't afford to give us a very modest cost of living wage increase of about 2%, but they can afford to pay over 120 people, $100,000 and some, up to wages of $400,000. Most store managers are even getting bonuses of $10-20,000 per annum.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Timing is everything, and is another tool that the we, the members can use as leverage in dealing with the employer.
Just a hunch, but I'd say that public sympathy for striking public workers--any workers--is going to be inversely related to the amount of garbage that piles up in Toronto. Seems like a daft time for LCBO workers to strike, but that's just my opinion.
SteelbackGuy wrote:but they can afford to pay over 120 people, $100,000 and some, up to wages of $400,000. Most store managers are even getting bonuses of $10-20,000 per annum.
I see no justification for that, either.
Here's to the slow path.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Timing is everything, and is another tool that the we, the members can use as leverage in dealing with the employer.
Just a hunch, but I'd say that public sympathy for striking public workers--any workers--is going to be inversely related to the amount of garbage that piles up in Toronto. Seems like a daft time for LCBO workers to strike, but that's just my opinion.
SteelbackGuy wrote:but they can afford to pay over 120 people, $100,000 and some, up to wages of $400,000. Most store managers are even getting bonuses of $10-20,000 per annum.
Agreed. It certainly is a silly time, but we now belong to OPSEU and as such, we have to play by their rules now. They have called the strike deadline. It is unfortunate that is coincides with others that are on strike at this time.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
I personally see no justification in paying LCBO workers more than minimum wage.

I am securely strapped to the LCBO strike bandwagon. :D

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
I guess I am too if it means it will turn public opinion against the ridiculous liquor monopoly. Short term pain for long term gain.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

kwjd wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
I guess I am too if it means it will turn public opinion against the ridiculous liquor monopoly. Short term pain for long term gain.
Exactly. The bigger picture is what's important here. If that noodle spined wimp McGuinty was serious about saving small businesses private retail of alcohol would already be in the works.