LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2637
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:20 am
Location: Aurora, ON
Contact:

Postby icemachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Bobbyok wrote:
toweringpine wrote:There is no doubt that unions are a mixed blessing. In the recent years they appear to have taken their wages and benefits to levels that appear unreasonable to many of us but you can bet that if they were all gone we'd be working 60 hours weeks for peanuts.

What proportion of the workforce do you think is unionized? Excluding the government, it's less than 20% (around 17 in 2007). Are the other 80% all working 60 hour weeks for peanuts?


If it wasn't for Unions, I doubt I'd have nearly as many benefits as I do, even though I work in a non union job. I don't get quite as many benefits as the Union guys, but I get to keep more of my paycheck, and I get performance based bonuses that union guys don't.

Upshot is, unions are fine for some, I'm happy not working in a union, and IMO all government employees should not be able to strike, binding arbitration should be mandatory after contracts expire and either side is unwilling to negotiate.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole
User avatar
GregClow
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Parkdale
Contact:

Postby GregClow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 pm

June 24, 2009

LCBO REACHES TENTATIVE AGREEMENT
WITH ITS UNIONIZED EMPLOYEES


LCBO today announced that a tentative agreement has been reached with its 6,000 unionized employees, averting the possibility of a strike at LCBO stores and warehouses.

Terms of the new collective bargaining agreement were not disclosed pending ratification by members of the Liquor Board Employees Division of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU).

The agreement must also be approved by members of the LCBO Board of Directors and by the Government of Ontario through an Order-in-Council.
toweringpine
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: Etobicoke

Postby toweringpine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm

icemachine wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:
toweringpine wrote:There is no doubt that unions are a mixed blessing. In the recent years they appear to have taken their wages and benefits to levels that appear unreasonable to many of us but you can bet that if they were all gone we'd be working 60 hours weeks for peanuts.

What proportion of the workforce do you think is unionized? Excluding the government, it's less than 20% (around 17 in 2007). Are the other 80% all working 60 hour weeks for peanuts?


If it wasn't for Unions, I doubt I'd have nearly as many benefits as I do, even though I work in a non union job. I don't get quite as many benefits as the Union guys, but I get to keep more of my paycheck, and I get performance based bonuses that union guys don't.

Upshot is, unions are fine for some, I'm happy not working in a union, and IMO all government employees should not be able to strike, binding arbitration should be mandatory after contracts expire and either side is unwilling to negotiate.


I'm happy to be in a non union shop but I am glad we've got the right to join together if we feel it is necessary.
User avatar
inertiaboy
Bar Fly
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:18 pm
Location: Steve, Ottawa West
Contact:

Postby inertiaboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Ever wonder if LCBO management chooses to prolong negotiations until there is a threat of strike just to clear old stock off the shelves? :wink:
User avatar
GregClow
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Parkdale
Contact:

Postby GregClow » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 pm

inertiaboy wrote:Ever wonder if LCBO management chooses to prolong negotiations until there is a threat of strike just to clear old stock off the shelves? :wink:


You might be on to something there...:
http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2009/06 ... uor_store/
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 pm

http://www.opseu.org/lbed/collective.htm

Wow, the LCBO pretty much bent over, bit the pillow and asked for more.
dutchcanuck
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:19 am
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario

Postby dutchcanuck » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I would say this is in many ways a win-win. The employees get a little more job security and benefits, and a pay raise for the casuals. But I wouldn't call 100 jobs over four years a big win for the union. I can well imagine 25 jobs a year is token gesture by the LCBO towards the union. But....what do I know?!
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Well congrats to the staff that deserve it!
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:24 pm

dutchcanuck wrote:I would say this is in many ways a win-win.!


Actually it's win-win-lose.

Win for the spoiled brats that comprise the LCBO workforce, win for the LCBO because they avoid a strike and notched a 60 million dollar single retail day, and lose for the consumer because the LCBO still exists, with an even more insulated staff.
User avatar
pootz
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:36 pm

Postby pootz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 pm

....sooooo where does this leave our Garrison Order Cass? Any undue delay?
Aventinus rules!
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Belgian wrote:Well congrats to the staff that deserve it!



Thank you!

I will continue to work hard and try to earn every dollar I make through excelling in every way possible. This is the attitude I bring to work each and every day.

And to all you folks who work in the media, be it radio, newsprint, or television, I want to thank you for striking the fear of god into the public without all the facts! You've made my employer even richer with your irresponsible journalism! Can't say I'm surprised given the types they hire in these industries, but thankfully the employer has at least agreed to share some of their wealth this time around.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:02 am

SteelbackGuy wrote: I want to thank you for striking the fear of god into the public without all the facts! Can't say I'm surprised given the types they hire in these industries,


If the sheeple weren't such mindless automatons they wouldn't be so easy to manipulate.
$
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby $ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:40 am

"These days, more and more people are realizing that an economic system where business does well but working people don’t is a system that doesn’t work."

What planet are the unions on again?
As though "business" is some machine with no working people involved.



The new pay grid for casuals

$13.84 an hour

$15.22

$16.62

$17.62

$18.77


better off as a garbage collector I think...
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 am

$ wrote:"These days, more and more people are realizing that an economic system where business does well but working people don’t is a system that doesn’t work."

What planet are the unions on again?
As though "business" is some machine with no working people involved.



The new pay grid for casuals

$13.84 an hour

$15.22

$16.62

$17.62

$18.77


better off as a garbage collector I think...



It is hardly a new pay grid.

The only thing new is the top scale, which casuals prior to 2002, were not getting. But that has now changed with the new agreement. Now all casuals are able to obtain the top rate, based on satisfactory performance appraisals, over a 4-5 year period.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
$
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby $ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:52 am

SteelbackGuy wrote:It is hardly a new pay grid.

The only thing new is the top scale, which casuals prior to 2002, were not getting. But that has now changed with the new agreement. Now all casuals are able to obtain the top rate, based on satisfactory performance appraisals, over a 4-5 year period.


hmmm, just quoting what the union has posted...


I'm curious, how much are union fees? Or do casual's not pay that?

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest