Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote:At lunch break today I attempted to buy some reserves at the Queen's Quay LCBO. I say "attempted" because I walked in and the line was curving up and down aisles and I thought it could be hours before I actually made a purchase. Out of curiosity I took a look at the back section with the beer and the shelves were thinning out.

Long lines and empty shelves... don't you love how a government monopoly can turn us into the Soviet Union?
Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on going by there for some party weekend beer and may pass. Of course the beer shelves in that popular location are often thinning out, so what was I thinking.

And Steel, I agree with you physical confrontation may be unlikely. but you ARE dealing with a bunch of employees who have NO history or experience of handling themselves in strikes or picket lines, so who are we kidding what may happen - we don't know. People are emotional, rules are not. Also from the other side of it neither have employees ever dealt with angry (or even crazy) customers in a strike picket situation, so enjoy THAT wild card... I sincerely hope it doesn't come to anything going afoul.

IMO the LCBO is right at this moment encouraging a pattern of excessive buying & consequently excessive consumption, which seems to go against the Bureau's own principle of 'Social Responsibility.' If there are more alcohol-related incidents than usual this weekend, who then is liable?

Oops. :oops:
In Beerum Veritas

jethro796

Post by jethro796 »

I am amazed at the union bashing going on in this forum. Let's remember that private sector and/or non union employees enjoy many rights and freedoms on the coat tails of unionized employees.
Our society as a whole benefits from a 5 day work week (some only working 37.5 hours a week), benefits for most full time employees, and their families as well as paid vacations.
If it weren't for unions we would still be working 6 day weeks - 12 hours a day for far less than minimum wage.
Before spouting off, do a bit of reading on the history of the workplace in Canada.
I am thankful to live in a country where people can choose to go on strike and not be thrown in jail - or worse.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

jethro796 wrote:I am amazed at the union bashing going on in this forum. Let's remember that private sector and/or non union employees enjoy many rights and freedoms on the coat tails of unionized employees.
Our society as a whole benefits from a 5 day work week (some only working 37.5 hours a week), benefits for most full time employees, and their families as well as paid vacations.
If it weren't for unions we would still be working 6 day weeks - 12 hours a day for far less than minimum wage.
Before spouting off, do a bit of reading on the history of the workplace in Canada.
I am thankful to live in a country where people can choose to go on strike and not be thrown in jail - or worse.
Most people aren't union bashing as much as they bashing the ridiculous government monopoly that lets a union strike bring liquor sales to a halt (and gives us crappy hours/selection even when there are no labour disputes).

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

It's lonesome away from your kindred and all,
By the campfire at night where the wild dingos call,
But there's nothing so lonesome, so dull or so drear,
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer.

Now the publican's anxious for the quota to come,
There's a faraway look on the face of the bum,
The maid's gone all cranky and the cook's acting queer,
What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

The stockman rides up with his dry, dusty throat,
He breasts up to the bar, pulls a wad from his coat,
But the smile on his face quickly turns to a sneer,
When the barman says suddenly: "The pub's got no beer!"

There's a dog on the veranda, for his master he waits,
But the boss is inside, drinking wine with his mates,
He hurries for cover and he cringes in fear.
It's no place for a dog, round a pub with no beer.

Old Billy, the blacksmith, for the first time in his life,
Has gone home cold sober to his darling wife,
He walks in the kitchen; she says: "You're early, me dear"
Then he breaks down and he tells her , that the pub's got no beer

Oh, it's lonesome away from your kindred and all,
By the campfire at night where the wild dingos call,
But there's nothing so lonesome, so dull or so drear,
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

kwjd wrote:At lunch break today I attempted to buy some reserves at the Queen's Quay LCBO. I say "attempted" because I walked in and the line was curving up and down aisles and I thought it could be hours before I actually made a purchase. Out of curiosity I took a look at the back section with the beer and the shelves were thinning out.

Long lines and empty shelves... don't you love how a government monopoly can turn us into the Soviet Union?
Yeah, much the same experience here. I couldn't believe how much people were buying. Literally every person in the massive line had a shopping cart overflowing with cases of wine, beer and various bottles of liquor. It was like the opening scene in Leaving Las Vegas, multiplied by 70-80. I put down the single bottle of rum I had intended to buy and walked out. Seriously, how long do these people think the strike is going to last, if it even happens at all?

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

As a proponent of a broader utilitarian approach to politics it is difficult to see unions (certainly in 2009) as anything other than a special interest group whose gains are at the expense of society as a whole. (The days of 6 day week 12 hour days won't be back if government unions lose some of their power!)

In the case of the LCBO dispute both sides are the benefactors of a government monopoly. If a political leader proposed privatisation of liquor distribution in Ontario wouldn't both management and union fight it in order to preserve their privileged status protected from competition unlike most Ontarians? The union most certainly would.

Unfortunately OPSEU also supports political causes that have nothing to do with their workers - for example their opposition to any reform of Canada's immigration mess. It's hard to have any sympathy for them.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Sancus wrote: I'm really not sure where you're getting the idea that minimum wage is competitive for simple/unskilled labour in general, that is not my experience having worked a number of such jobs while in school, etc, several years ago.
Should have clarified. I apologize. What I meant was I know that unskilled labourers get paid more than minimum wage, however they are not deserved wages. Monkey work should be paid in peanuts.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I think a lot of what you might be seeing in stores today are people who have weddings, family reunions, etc planned and are suddenly worried that they may not be able to buy their wine and spirits when they need it this summer.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Belgian wrote:
Cayenne spray or mace - which is less cruel for the first idiot who so much as even touches me when I try to walk in a store? Any and all physical contact = assault.
If I recall correctly, mace is a chemical that a person can build up a tolerance to, whereas cayenne pepper spray causes a physical reaction of watering in the eyes and swelling that will make a person go down no matter what. So bring the pepper spray. ;)

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

mjohnston wrote:I don't understand how picketers are allowed to block traffic and impede peoples' movements. ... If anything, the only thing it achieves is to make people angry and create the risk of violent confrontation.
Easy. Policemen are unonized, and aren't going to be in a hurry to bash their "brothers and sisters." Nor should they be.

Philip1 wrote:As a proponent of a broader utilitarian approach to politics it is difficult to see unions (certainly in 2009) as anything other than a special interest group whose gains are at the expense of society as a whole. (The days of 6 day week 12 hour days won't be back if government unions lose some of their power!)
This is for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184NTV2CE_c

It is naive to think that corporations and governments wouldn't start clawing back if unions "lose some of their power". If you think otherwise, then your outlook on humanity is certainly more optimistic than mine.

Sorry for going off topic. The preceeding is by no means intended to be interpreted as support for the monopoly known as the LCBO.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

LOL - good video.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Anybody know if the strike would affect the agency stores that are in some of the small towns like Drayton, Ayton, etc?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

They will still operate as normal until their supply dries up, I doubt they keep much more than a normal weeks volume in stock.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobbyok wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobbyok wrote: Um, isn't a union supposed to represent the interests of its members, not the other way around? That's mostly rhetorical, but I am a bit curious about what your answer would be.
Well, the union is the one who creates the strike deadline, as mandated by the workers. We voted 93% in favour, which gives OPSEU the right to set the deadline. As a collective, we don't set the date, just give the mandate. If it conincides with other strikes, it is purely that. A coincidence.
Coincidence or not, you've also said this:
Let me be the first to say that a very large majority of LCBO staffers DO NOT want a strike.
So most members of the union don't want a strike, but voted in favour of one anyway (likely at the behest of the union), so members are now at the mercy of the union? Isn't that a clear case of the union working against the wishes of its members?
Voting in favor of a strike is a simple bargaining tactic. You can vote yes, but still not actually want to go out.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Forgive me if this has been covered, but what about agencies who use the LCBO warehouse(s) to store their beer? Beer such as Garrison Imperial Pale Ale. Will this affect them?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman