Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

B.C. ramblings

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

B.C. ramblings

Post by Tapsucker »

I just had a short trip out to Vancouver and made some pleasant discoveries.

First up has to be Central City Red Racer (Surrey based). I really don't remember coming across this brewery before, but maybe they have more history than my feeble mind can handle. I had an ESB from them that flat out ranked in the top beers I have ever had. It was a totally perfect balance of flavours. Their Empire IPA is also really good, but in a crowded field it keeps up while the ESB knocks down the competitors.

Swans has an oddball offering in a coconut stout. I really hate 'screw brews' (from jam beers to black forest cake in a glass), so I approached this with caution. I was nicely surprised. The coconut is totally hidden. If you did not know it was there you would never pick it up, It does, however, really seem to create a smoothness that elevates this stout. I was totally impressed.

Finally, I noticed something cool in the service culture. Vancouver has always done hospitality well, but it appears bar tenders are upping the bar so to speak.

Here are some examples.

Good bars will often hand clean and inspect wine glasses before serving. I noticed in three establishments: the Alibi, A Cactus Club chain location and a dumpy neighborhood pub, the bartenders hand cleaning beer glasses before serving! No soapy spray rinse. Even better. At the Cactus Club, often noted for it's taste in hiring attractive servers (ahem) I had a rather unattractive lady serving at the bar. It quickly became clear she was hired for her professionalism. When I ordered a pint, she pulled a sample, smelled it, tasted it and then served me. I asked if something was wrong with the lines and she said no it was just that since the start of her shift she had not served that beer and she wanted to make sure it was good before sending it my way. Very nice touch!

I don't know if it's the Olympics or a desperate economy that have motivated them, but we really could do well to pick up some of Vancouver's service habits and beer lits.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Central City has been around for a few years but they have stepped up their game recently. Several of their canned beers, including the IPA, are available throughout the lower Mainland at private and provincial liquor stores. The IPA is one of the best being made in the province right now (IMHO) and worth getting hold of. I brought a six back with me for tastings. Never got around to trying the ESB but will next visit.

And the Swans coconut beer you had actually isn't a stout, it's a porter. I saw bottles of it at Brewery Creek a week or two ago but since neither the ingredient or the style are amongst my favorites I skipped it.

As for serving culture, I suspect you had a better than average experience. There are plenty of places where I didn't witness this care and attention to quality...but perhaps your experience is a small sign of improvement. Any way you look at it they are still miles ahead of us due to the larger number of brew pubs, decent ale houses, quality beer shops and quality locally made beers widely available. I'd give Vancouver a 7 out of 10 while Toronto still ranks a 5 or 6.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Thanks for posting, I'm heading out in a month and haven't been for about 2 years now. Really looking forward to beer hunting. I'm bringing extra large luggage.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Jon Walker wrote:
And the Swans coconut beer you had actually isn't a stout, it's a porter. I saw bottles of it at Brewery Creek a week or two ago but since neither the ingredient or the style are amongst my favorites I skipped it.
Yes, it is a porter. That was a typo. The added ingredient raises suspicions for me, but I really think it works. Especially since it is very subtle. It did more to enhance the flavour instead of change the flavour.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Bytowner wrote:Thanks for posting, I'm heading out in a month and haven't been for about 2 years now. Really looking forward to beer hunting. I'm bringing extra large luggage.
If you're stocking up, I've recommended it before and still do: Check out Viti on Seymour near Dunsmuir. Their selection keeps getting more interesting. Nice knowledgeable staff too.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

When I was there in March, the best selection was to be found at Firefly and Brewery Creek. Maybe Viti was having a stock problem when I was there, but they didn't have much of a selection at all. But check them all out. Sometimes you can find something extra special hiding in one of those stores.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

nickelass wrote:When I was there in March, the best selection was to be found at Firefly and Brewery Creek. Maybe Viti was having a stock problem when I was there, but they didn't have much of a selection at all. But check them all out. Sometimes you can find something extra special hiding in one of those stores.
I find it to be a small but very interesting selection. That probably means its not all that consistent.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

If you use Facebook subscribe to both Brewery Creek and Viti's groups. They each routinely update new beer arrivals, the return of out of stock items and special events like tastings.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I was much impressed on a recent trip to Vancouver by Alibi Bar.

It is on Alexander Street, Railway District.

This spacious bar has a natural ambience and offers superb, mostly B.C., craft brews. A barley wine from Victoria impressed with its rich palate informed by oak aging and Spanish orange peels. This was from Swan, I believe. R&B's IPA on cask could not be bettered for West Coast savour and authenticity. Other fine beers essayed (via the convenient Sampler method) were a "white bark wheat ale"; a nuanced English-type brown ale; and a fine Czech-type pils. All made in B.C. and all superb. A must for the fan of beers from Canada's western terroir. I should add the food was excellent.

Gary
Gary Gillman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I was much impressed on a recent trip to Vancouver by Alibi Bar.
Was that place in existence May 2008? I was last in Vancouver then and didn't see the place amongst the listed places to visit. Or maybe I somehow missed it. Alibi looks to trump the handful of better beer places I went to. Damn! And they've got Philip's Double Chocolate Porter on tap too.

But the girlfriend will be there in late June so I will pass this along.

Thanks for posting that! :D
lister

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This place has existed for some years I believe but I am not sure if it always had a B.C. craft beer focus. But it does now and is most impressive. The link (clearly you found it) is www.alibi.ca. Its full name is the Alibi Room.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Alibi has been around for a while. Excellent beer list (highly local/regional focus) and great knowledgeable staff. The only downside is the food is not that great. Not terrible, but it's a beer destination, not a food destination.

I hate to sound like I'm putting them down in any way, the beer, beer handling and the staff are excellent. I just wish the menu were better.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I've contacted some long-lost family out in Kelowna, BC.

So at some point I may fly out and try some Tree beers!
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Alibi has been around for about a decade. At its inception I do not believe the beer list was as impressive. The craft beer focus has emerged over the years and has currently culminated in a truly impressive list of bottled and draft offerings. Many of the beers on tap when I was last there (March) were custom beers brewed by head brewers of other outfits exclusively for the bar.

The food is pretty good (IMHO) and you can't beat the place for a lazy Saturday or Sunday brunch (which is excellent). The vibe on a Friday or Saturday night is very cool, a very artsy 20-30ish crowd...not pretentious. Certainly the best beer bar in the lower mainland.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Are there any particular alcohol stores there with a solid beer selection? Anywhere in the area bordered by Stanley Park, Granville Island and Main St.
lister