Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New York bottle law proposed changes

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

maple99

New York bottle law proposed changes

Post by maple99 »

Where have we seen this before??

This article says new law requires NY-specific labelling, so people can't get 5 cents in NY from bottles bought out of state. This looks like a real threat to the diversity of beer for sale in NY, which is a matter of concern for those of us who shop in Buffalo.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It amazes me that the beverage industry is so backwards in inventory/packaging/logistics. I don’t know if it will take large players, small or government co-operation (oops, oxymoron!) But the simple answer is modern barcodes.

This is easy to add to packaging lines without pushing costs up too far for small or large players, yet it would allow huge efficiencies for recycling. It works great in parts of Europe.

Every container gets a bar code, from a juice bottle to a beer can. The code allows quick identification by machine for sorting and deposit return. On the distribution end, a shared database allows a jurisdiction to quickly identify product in and out of territory, what was sold where and what gets the local deposit return and even track tax revenue. Furthermore, it enables a far bigger variety of containers to enter the recycling stream. In Europe they even have these cool machines for returns in all sorts of convenient locations instead of backing up beer stores with line ups.

Queef

Post by Queef »

recycling works wonders if you can allow people to profit from it. Both collecting it and returning it. Bottle depots in alberta take back anything that can be recycled, juice boxes even being worth 5 cents. Private companies own the depots, and ship it where required.
it's beer o'clock.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Queef, agreed. If the bottles are valuable, why aren't the bottles just bought back? I know some breweries pay up to 60 cents a bottle, but are only allowed to charge 10 cents deposit. It would make more sense if they'd just buy them back from me for 30 cents. Right now, the extra 50 cents is priced into the beer, and you don't get it back even if you return the bottles to the brewery.

Distribution of bottle returns is the problem. In Ontario, only the standard bottles are reused - the rest (bombers, etc) are just recycled as bulk glass.
Mat

Queef

Post by Queef »

mjohnston wrote:Distribution of bottle returns is the problem. In Ontario, only the standard bottles are reused - the rest (bombers, etc) are just recycled as bulk glass.
if molsons decided to put their swill in bombers, or american style bottles, then there would be no problem returning them to the "beer" store.
it's beer o'clock.

$

Post by $ »

a good bar code system could allow companies to determine how much they pay for returned empties. Each company might have a different amount.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

This new NY law was supposed to come into effect on June 1, but has been postponed to April 2010. Maybe it will get changed before then - Premier expects to lose the ability to distribute many brands if the law comes in.

Note that the law is not to have a bar code, nearly everything does already. It is asking for an NY-specific bar code. So anybody who wants to sell in the state has to adjust their packaging (or make a special version?) to match what NY wants. Seems it is more about bottled water than beer, but beer is caught up in the ride. And NY state legislature is a disfunctional disaster.

Southern Tier is still only $7.99 for six in WNY grocery stores - I simply cannot bring myself to pay $15.49 here.

madhatt

Post by madhatt »

On that note, I believe a road-trip to Buffalo must occur soon!