Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Young's Double Chocolate?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Young's Double Chocolate?

Post by Bobbyok »

This is still available as a general list item, correct? Someone from Halifax posted over at Beer Advocate that the NSLC told him it was no longer available in Canada, yet there's a ton of it in the LCBO online inventory. Perhaps it was the switch in LCBO product number that confused them - any idea why they switched the number without a change in bottle size, or as I initially suspected, a change to cans?

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I see it almost every time I'm in the LCBO.. it's one of those products that I barely buy and when it's delisted I'll be very very sad.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I think it is coming in cans. But lots in London, and it sells quite well.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

There were plenty enough in Whitby when I picked one up on Tuesday.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

It's too bad the superior Rogue Chocolate Stout isn't a regular listing.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:It's too bad the superior Rogue Chocolate Stout isn't a regular listing.

Agreed.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could at least replace some mediocre offerings that we get, with the best representations of the style?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this is one of my most frequent LCBO purchases, my wife loves this stuff and ive really grown fond of it. you should all try icebocking a bottle, it makes for quite a brew.

i hope this stays as a regular list in either bottles or cans.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:this is one of my most frequent LCBO purchases, my wife loves this stuff and ive really grown fond of it. you should all try icebocking a bottle, it makes for quite a brew.

How does one Icebock a bottle ?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:this is one of my most frequent LCBO purchases, my wife loves this stuff and ive really grown fond of it. you should all try icebocking a bottle, it makes for quite a brew.

step one:

pour contents of bottle into metal bowl

step two:

place bowl in freezer

step three:

check on beer every 10 or so min for freezing

step four:

when you got a 7/11 style slush in your bowl pour contents into a snifter through a funnel, the funnel will catch the solid ice chucks and leave you with a concentrated version of the now "icebocked" beer

you wont have and carbonation left but it makes a quasi imperial chocolate stout

cheers
matt

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

step one:

pour contents of bottle into metal bowl

step two:

place bowl in freezer

step three:

check on beer every 10 or so min for freezing

step four:

when you got a 7/11 style slush in your bowl pour contents into a snifter through a funnel, the funnel will catch the solid ice chucks and leave you with a concentrated version of the now "icebocked" beer

you wont have and carbonation left but it makes a quasi imperial chocolate stout

cheers
matt
You're either completely mad or a genius, but I can guarantee you that I'll be doing a bit of ice-bocking this weekend on the evil pump house blueberry bottles left in the fridge.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Garthicus wrote:I see it almost every time I'm in the LCBO.. it's one of those products that I barely buy and when it's delisted I'll be very very sad.
Heheh, I'm in the same boat. I remember getting excited at the prospect of having this as a regular list, but I don't believe I've picked any up since it first appeared on the shelves.

Ghost542

Post by Ghost542 »

They switched the number because the packaging went from 12 bottles/case to 8, similar to Bombardier.
This looks like a question to ask the rep next time he comes around...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:

cheers
matt
Matt, I like your thinking. It's amazing we don't have a lot of really big stouts up here (and so we put them on a high pedestal) since they are probably not that hard to make - but good work-around you have here LOL.

I would like to try this with some other brews as well, perhaps Sinha Stout and St. Ambroise. (A regular stout is just an Imperial Stout that is retaining water!)

As for carbonation, have you ever double-iced a beer? This would remove still more of the water, enabling you to re-combine the thicker icebock with a small amount of carbonated beer, for better mouth-feel.

I just tried a few Stone Impy's and other crazy ones so I'm psyched for this beer style.
In Beerum Veritas

Magni

Post by Magni »

I would like to try this with some other brews as well, perhaps Sinha Stout and St. Ambroise. (A regular stout is just an Imperial Stout that is retaining water!)

As for carbonation, have you ever double-iced a beer? This would remove still more of the water, enabling you to re-combine the thicker icebock with a small amount of carbonated beer, for better mouth-feel.
Genius.

wilco

Post by wilco »

I'm finishing off my ice-bocked bottle of Young's right now and I approve!

Would this work with IPAs to make them Imperial? Or would it lose too much carbonation and make it undrinkable?