Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

O'Hanlon's dropping Thomas Hardy's

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

O'Hanlon's dropping Thomas Hardy's

Post by GregClow »

Just posted to Twitter by Josh Rubin:

"O'Hanlon's has decided to no longer brew Thomas Hardy's. No word yet on whether someone else will pick up the rights..."

:cry:

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Thomas Hardy is practically beer royalty. Picking each new vintage, drinking a few and tucking many away in boxes is one of my yearly highlights. Very sad indeed.

I can't possibly imagine it being a poor seller for O'Hanlon's, so I wonder why the decision was made. Based on the pedigree and reputation, I also can't imagine another brewer not scooping it up pretty quickly.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

After a long and painful debate, O'Hannlon's has decided to stop brewing Thomas Hardy's Ale. While its popularity and value is without question, the process is quite expensive and complex for a small craft brewery. At the end, this venture was no longer sustainable for Liz and John O'Hanlon.

We are in touch with the company which owns the rights and the recipe for Thomas Hardy's Ale and will keep you posted of any new developments. At this point, they are looking into potential breweries, but we are running out of time to see the 2009 batch of THA. You may want to buy a few bottles at the LCBO, at $4.85 it looks even like a better deal than it was last month.

We will do our best to bring you future incarnations of this unique and wonderful beer.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This is terrible news. THA is a world classic and can't be allowed to disappear. I hope to god that someone somewhere will be able to produce it.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

This is bad news indeed. Hopefully we only lose the 2009; you gotta believe that someone will pick it up. Hopefully it's someone with an import deal in Ontario. R&R's explanation makes a lot of sense, though. It must be an expensive beer to brew, and an expensive beer to age/store.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Terrible news. I'll buy a few bottles now, so that in 55 years, they'll be drinkable.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

There could be a few quality control issues at first, and most likely a constant failing to meet volume production expectations, but i'll take one for the team, and tell them I'll brew it out of my basement.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I guess i better stock up so I have a few bottles to indulge in next winter.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Terrible news. I'll buy a few bottles now, so that in 55 years, they'll be drinkable.
I know you quit smoking... but do you really think you'll be around in 55 years? :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Terrible news. I'll buy a few bottles now, so that in 55 years, they'll be drinkable.
I know you quit smoking... but do you really think you'll be around in 55 years? :D

Well, I'd be 84 then, so who knows. :P :P :P

But that shit takes ages to uhhhh..........age.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: But that shit takes ages to uhhhh..........age.
Yeah - but think about how good it was the last time you aged it 55 years. Need I say more? Why NOT buy beer that takes longer to age than a great Madiran or Barolo!
matt7215 wrote:it is a shame if this does not get picked up by another brewer.
Not for trading. It's a 'retired' beer that lasts forever, so there should be growing demand for a diminishing supply. Can't hurt to buy 6 or 12 extra.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i love this beer and ive only ever had it "fresh". please feel free to send me all your fresh samples so you can be free of them.

it is a shame if this does not get picked up by another brewer.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've found that just a year works wonders for Thomas Hardy's. Anyways, if anyone in Toronto is still interested in getting some while its here (and lets face it - even if its brewed again it may not be through someone who imports to Ontario) there's a large stock at Davisville LCBO. I'd say they had around 100 bottles out when I got there.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:I've found that just a year works wonders for Thomas Hardy's.
I had an 07 about 2 months ago, still way too hot. I wouldn't even have ordered it, but I thought the chalkboard special said 04.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

markaberrant wrote:
Bobsy wrote:I've found that just a year works wonders for Thomas Hardy's.
I had an 07 about 2 months ago, still way too hot. I wouldn't even have ordered it, but I thought the chalkboard special said 04.
Hey, I hear some like it hot! I keep mine at room temperature to speed things up. My old man has a bottle from the early 70s... I'm not sure what he's saving it for, but I want to be there!