Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

beer & wine import taxes/duties

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

$

beer & wine import taxes/duties

Post by $ »

I know there is a link to the excel spreadsheet to determine how much tax and duties you will pay, just wondering if it is up to date - I notice it still has 7% gst. I'm mainly wondering if the other fees have changed.

And, is it the same for wine?

I've tried searching the Canada Customs site, I guess I am impatient, where do you find this info?

OK, I found it I think:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm- ... -6-eng.pdf

39.6% markup on wine...beer is still .676/litre

oh this link is even better:
http://www.lcbo.com/askus/importing.shtml

so there are a couple changes needed to the spreadsheet
no more import duty, but the excise duty is up a bit

I made a wine column for myself. a $6 US(say $7.20 cnd) bottle ends up with $4.85 in taxes
not sure of NY state taxes have changed

AND, it appears the PST is charged after the border levy, which I don't think the spreadsheet does.
I think the LCBO example is wrong for the beer, the border levy seems off (.676 X 24 X .355L = $5.76)

ok I'm spending too much time on this

last edit! lcbo example is based on .341 L not the .355 they stated

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It continues to amuse/annoy me, that at the very least, they have a process for bringing product into the country but continue the inter-provincial B.S. If they really wanted to stand by the inter-provincial laws, they would have a FAQ published to explain how to legally bring product across provincial borders.