Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Mixed Brewpub 6

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Belgian wrote:
Lager Bore wrote:A colleague is heading to the Morningside LCBO so I invite myself. The Beer Guy is back....
That is now a very fine store, slightly relocated and bigger with a huge beer cool room. The old building felt a bit urban-hell-holeish! It's GREAT that there is a little elegance & class arriving along the far east Kingston Rd corridor, boy does it need it and there is money in that area, south of Kingston Rd.

The old store was the only LC I've known to have night-time roll-down metal shutters. A Lick's is taking its place. It's an interesting neighbourhood, make no mistake. They can build a Starbucks and put a Shoeless Joe's "eatery" on the corner, but you still don't want to be waiting for the bus at G-way and Kingston after dark. Sorry if I went off topic; I'm new around here.

At any rate, I do enjoy the new store. As I've said the Beer Guy is really good and he cares about what he brings in. He takes flak from the manager and juggles those SKU's (I'm sure Steelback Guy could tell us how this works) and makes sure that for every skid of Heineken and Estrella, there's a whole whack of Rogue, Fuller's, and Anchor.

Cheers

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sampled the pils tonight. Very bohemian and flavourful. A repeat buy for me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

biegaman wrote: THANK YOU BELGIAN for finally giving this part of Scarborough some respect!
Isn't that Scarlem? :)

I'm a few blocks from Scarberia... there's at least half a dozen chicken schwarma places on Lawrence east... good stuff.

$

Post by $ »

I'd never had the coffee porter before, so the six pack was a great way for me to try one. (I notice the LCBO is putting up signs to not break six packs now??)

I went to a party with my porter, the hostess had bought a 6 of the porter that day and she hated it, so I scored 5 more! It's good.

My wife has enjoyed the organic and stock ale so far.
Haven't tried the pilsner or wit yet.
This 6 variety pack is a great idea.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

$ wrote:(I notice the LCBO is putting up signs to not break six packs now??)
LCBO has had those signs up for a while, at least at any LCBO I've been to. It's supposed to be for sealed six packs not open accessible ones.
lister

$

Post by $ »

lister wrote:
$ wrote:(I notice the LCBO is putting up signs to not break six packs now??)
LCBO has had those signs up for a while, at least at any LCBO I've been to. It's supposed to be for sealed six packs not open accessible ones.
A few weeks ago the cashier seemed a bit angry at me for having a single dead guy ale (it was actually the last one) and a Dogfish 60. He asked me if I broke the 6 pack. I didn't, they were already broke...never saw any signs up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:new LCBO at Kingston and Morningside ... seem to have huge stocks always put out on time and carry all seasonals (which can sometimes fortunately move slow meaning more for me!)

I hear The Beer Store just down Lawrence Ave. is pretty good too :wink:
Yeah the Mark/Lawr location is OK.

But the Morningside one is bursting with so many interesting seasonals, it feels more like a small American chain store - rather than some big pretender with nothing but a few straggler beer seasonals nobody wants.

I believe developing the bright, new aesthetic of the Kingston corridor may over time cause the criminal element to feel less comfortable and shy away from some areas. It attracts more money moving in, which generates public cash for more police patrols. IMO a little 'gentrification' would just be a re-balancing of what is presently an 'out of whack' situation dominated by poor immigrant influences - because though it's great GTA absorbs so much diverse new population each year, it's just so poorly managed with no plan. It looks like Scarborough is being dangerously ignored with regard for public safety.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

$ wrote:A few weeks ago the cashier seemed a bit angry at me for having a single dead guy ale (it was actually the last one) and a Dogfish 60. He asked me if I broke the 6 pack. I didn't, they were already broke...never saw any signs up.
I've never been questioned on it. The last time was when ST IPA came in. (I was curious to try it but don't like most IPAs so buying a single bottle is easier.) The cashier just rung up a single domestic bottle for $2.10 (cheaper than the per bottle cost of buying the six pack. Heh.) The other time I did that the cashier bellowed to another cashier what code to enter, I think that was for the DFH60.

I think they're just being lazy. Steelbackguy has said it's okay to break up non-sealed six packs. I'll keep doing it when I want to try something but don't want to commit to a sixer. I don't know why this seems to vary store-to-store and employee-to-employee. Bad management?
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

lister wrote:
$ wrote:A few weeks ago the cashier seemed a bit angry at me for having a single dead guy ale (it was actually the last one) and a Dogfish 60. He asked me if I broke the 6 pack. I didn't, they were already broke...never saw any signs up.
Steelbackguy has said it's okay to break up non-sealed six packs. I'll keep doing it when I want to try something but don't want to commit to a sixer. [/quote

Absolutely right. You can break up the open 6 packs until the cows come home. We encourage our customers to do it with coolers, and the same goes for beer. It is the closed 6 packs that do get problematic. If anyone is giving you a hard time, they are likely lazy, don't know their own job froma hole in the ground, or shouldn't be working for us altogether.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

TwoPint wrote:
Magni wrote:It's a shame because if you want six (in bottles) it lands you 15$ at the brewpub.
I picked up 8 bottles of Pilsner at Mill St. on Friday - two singles plus 6 in a generic carrier case. They charged me for 8 at the single rate. I believe it was $2.15 a bottle plus 10c deposit. That makes it $13.50 a six-pack.
Either I was wrong or they changed the price. Today they charged me $12.60 (including deposit) for a 6.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TwoPint wrote:
TwoPint wrote:
Magni wrote:It's a shame because if you want six (in bottles) it lands you 15$ at the brewpub.
I picked up 8 bottles of Pilsner at Mill St. on Friday - two singles plus 6 in a generic carrier case. They charged me for 8 at the single rate. I believe it was $2.15 a bottle plus 10c deposit. That makes it $13.50 a six-pack.
Either I was wrong or they changed the price. Today they charged me $12.60 (including deposit) for a 6.
It's not more than 12 + deposit right now,. I was just there. Looks good for toonie beer.

Delicious there on tap, plus they have their own fantastic craft root beer now as well!
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Absolutely right. You can break up the open 6 packs until the cows come home. We encourage our customers to do it with coolers, and the same goes for beer. It is the closed 6 packs that do get problematic. If anyone is giving you a hard time, they are likely lazy, don't know their own job froma hole in the ground, or shouldn't be working for us altogether.
I think it may actually be strongly encouraged. I noticed that the Queens Quay LCBO had shelf stickers for 6-packs of Brooklyn Lager for $15, or singles of the same for $2.10. Six singles, please! :P

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sstackho wrote: I think (breaking non-sealed sixers) may actually be strongly encouraged. I noticed that the Queens Quay LCBO had shelf stickers for 6-packs of Brooklyn Lager for $15, or singles of the same for $2.10. Six singles, please! :P
Yeah, I remember at LCBO some Mill Street for 1.95 each or 11.95 a six. It's unquestionably stupid. Don't people in business have basic multiplication & division skills?

I've noticed the same 'rounding to..95' mentality applied insensibly in other stores and in restaurants, as if .95 really means the same as rounded up. Duh. Math is indeed tough....
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
sstackho wrote: I think (breaking non-sealed sixers) may actually be strongly encouraged. I noticed that the Queens Quay LCBO had shelf stickers for 6-packs of Brooklyn Lager for $15, or singles of the same for $2.10. Six singles, please! :P
Yeah, I remember at LCBO some Mill Street for 1.95 each or 11.95 a six. It's unquestionably stupid. Don't people in business have basic multiplication & division skills?

I've noticed the same 'rounding to..95' mentality applied insensibly in other stores and in restaurants, as if .95 really means the same as rounded up. Duh. Math is indeed tough....

Mixed domestic singles are $2.00 + .10 for deposit. The imports and non-domestics have a variation of prices, but for each single, there is a product number, and the list is just too huge to sort through when looking for one single beer. Especially when you have a line 3 or 4 people dep. Most cashiers just use the domestic breaker number in this case, which is why you're getting a lot of the US micros for $2.00.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Mixed domestic singles are $2.00 + .10 for deposit. The imports and non-domestics have a variation of prices, but for each single, there is a product number, and the list is just too huge to sort through when looking for one single beer. Especially when you have a line 3 or 4 people dep. Most cashiers just use the domestic breaker number in this case, which is why you're getting a lot of the US micros for $2.00.
FWIW, the Brooklyn Lager singles actually had a shelf tag of $2.10, and it seemed to scan in normally (or maybe she had to hit some buttons first to indicate that it was a single) and it showed up as Brooklyn on the receipt.