Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Limited Edition Innis & Gunn 'Canadian Cask' beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

woodpecker

Limited Edition Innis & Gunn 'Canadian Cask' beer

Post by woodpecker »

Innis & Gunn celebrates Canada Day with exclusive 'Canadian Cask' release
Innis & Gunn, brewers of Canada's favourite Scottish beer, celebrate the special relationship between Scotland and Canada with a unique, Limited Editon beer crafted for Canada Day

TORONTO, June 7 /CNW/ - To celebrate Canada Day 2009 and to thank loyal fans of their beer, Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn has announced the release of a Limited Edition Innis & Gunn 'Canadian Cask' beer.
The product, which was developed exclusively for Canada, employs the use of antique Canadian whisky casks (some as old as 50 years) during the revolutionary and renowned Innis & Gunn oak-barrel aging process. The special beer was released in very limited quantities in eight Canadian provinces earlier this month and, barring it selling out, should be available to customers across the country for Canada Day celebrations next month.
"Our beers are all about smooth, complex flavours for savouring - like a fine wine. We were really excited about the prospect of using these gnarled, old Canadian casks. They were packed with the most amazing aromas and after maturation the resulting beer turned out to be one of the best Limited Editions we have produced," said Innis & Gunn owner and brewer Dougal Sharp.
"There are hints of maple and vanilla in this brew and the use of Rye in
the recipe has added a delicious raisin character and deep red colour. It has surpassed all of our expectations.
"Canada has quickly become one of our most important markets and we are proud to help celebrate Canada Day with this very special beer."

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Bobsy has already had it and posted a review;
Bobsy wrote: I'm knackered from cooking all evening, so I'm nursing a Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask. I usually hate these English Pale Ales, but this aint too bad. Upfront its pretty average, but the finish is great, with boatloads of buttery vanilla and oak.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:Bobsy has already had it and posted a review;
Bobsy wrote: I'm knackered from cooking all evening, so I'm nursing a Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask. I usually hate these English Pale Ales, but this aint too bad. Upfront its pretty average, but the finish is great, with boatloads of buttery vanilla and oak.
Its a decent beer, but like all these Innis and Gunn special editions its not great value for the price as far as I'm concerned. Here's my longer review:
Amber body with a frothy white head that died down pretty quick, but left a few spots of lace. Aroma of pale malt, bread, grass, alongside the woody vanilla tones you would expect from an oaked beer.

Fairly average English pale on the palate at first with toffee and raisin notes staving off a bready maltiness, and mild hopping. This beer is really picked up in the finish, where boatloads of buttery vanilla come into play. Imagine the most buttery California chardonnay you can imagine, and that's the finish. The body is quite light, and would be disappointing were it not for the slick smoothness added by the buttery finish.

Yeah, its pretty good. Probably not 'buy again' good, but its up there. I'll try the regular oaked beer on the back of this performance.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I have many friends who generally like micro/craft beer but are not necessarily 'beer geeks" that obsessively hunt down and rate beers. For whatever reason they all generally LOVE Innis & Gunn products, regular or special editions. I find them relatively tasty when fresh, but I'm a little baffled at their near cult-like following among the general masses. Very odd indeed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Innis & Gunn's success in Canada amongst mainstream drinkers is downright mindboggling.

woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

Jon Walker wrote:Bobsy has already had it and posted a review;
thought some1 would have. just couldn't find it. thx!