ST IPA Price Drop

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

$
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby $ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:27 am

Belgian wrote:
toweringpine wrote:
$ wrote:
bujubanton wrote:ST IPA..much better than Dogfish...I will go pick up a few six packs..


no way...Dogfish way better


That's why they make both!!


Yes, because clearly both are better as we've just proven.


I will prove to myself dogfish is better. I will drink a ST, then a dogfish. Then another ST and another dogfish. repeat...
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:31 am

$ wrote:
Belgian wrote:
toweringpine wrote:
$ wrote:
bujubanton wrote:ST IPA..much better than Dogfish...I will go pick up a few six packs..


no way...Dogfish way better


That's why they make both!!


Yes, because clearly both are better as we've just proven.


I will prove to myself dogfish is better. I will drink a ST, then a dogfish. Then another ST and another dogfish. repeat...


Sounds like a noble (hop) cause.
In Beerum Veritas
biegaman
Bar Fly
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: West Hill

Postby biegaman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Belgian wrote:
Sounds like a noble (hop) cause.


Nope, more of an American hop cause.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 am

Gotta love Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops#Noble_hops

Noble = traditionally just four low-bitterness varieties - not including Fuggle and East Kent Goldings, ie. British hops some consider 'noble.' Interesting stuff!
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Bonesey
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Bonesey » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 am

Can anyone confirm the price drop in stores? The LCBO website still shows $15.70 for a six pack.

I also think the ST IPA beats the Dogfish. I'm a big hop aroma guy and the ST just kills the DFH in the aroma dept. To be sure though I will also conduct a scientific blind test once i get my hands on that hoppy nectar.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856
User avatar
TJ
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Bonesey wrote:Can anyone confirm the price drop in stores? The LCBO website still shows $15.70 for a six pack.

I also think the ST IPA beats the Dogfish. I'm a big hop aroma guy and the ST just kills the DFH in the aroma dept. To be sure though I will also conduct a scientific blind test once i get my hands on that hoppy nectar.


I bought some the other week and I didn't even notice what I paid. I just saw it. I wanted it. So I bought it. Which is pretty much how 99.999% of my beer purchases go.

I'm doing an IPA tasting tomorrow night starting with Dogfish Head 60 Min followed by Southern Tier IPA which is great because I haven't had ST IPA since...last summer, I think it was, and I could really use a refresher. From what I do recall I think the ST is a better IPA. The 60 min IPA is a nice little beer, but it's not really the hop bomb I look for in an IPA and it's lacking some bitterness and aroma.

We shall see.
User avatar
Zuma
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Zuma » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 am

Three weeks after the announcement of a restock and price drop of the ST IPA it has yet to appear in stores in the Ottawa region. There does not seem to be many six packs in TO either according to the LCBO web site. Sigh.

I think the last time it was available was in late April.

.....(Im)patiently waiting.....
User avatar
Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1899
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Wherever you go there you are

Postby Jon Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:47 am

These days finding ST IPA is like catching a leprechaun. I was lucky enough to find some last week in the Spadina store. The price was not reduced. I'm really at a loss to understand how the beer, supposedly a general list item, is so hard to stock with months going by between shipments. Who's dropped the ball here? Hard to build a following for the beer amongst the more beer literate GP when the item can't be easily or regularly obtained.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.
User avatar
Gedge
Bar Fly
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Dementia Five

Postby Gedge » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am

I picked some up at Atrium on Bay last week and can confirm (a) the price drop and (b) that the beer is still delicious.
User avatar
TJ
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby TJ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Gedge wrote:I picked some up at Atrium on Bay last week and can confirm (a) the price drop


Really? I just bought a six pack on my lunch break in Oshawa for $15.70. Is there some sort of password or secret handshake you need to know to get the reduced price?

Not that I mind, really. It's a solid journeyman American IPA at any price, and I'm not about to quibble over two bucks.
User avatar
Gedge
Bar Fly
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Dementia Five

Postby Gedge » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm

TJ wrote:
Gedge wrote:I picked some up at Atrium on Bay last week and can confirm (a) the price drop


Really? I just bought a six pack on my lunch break in Oshawa for $15.70. Is there some sort of password or secret handshake you need to know to get the reduced price?


I did have to say "the moon is brightest over Barcelona."
icemachine
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2637
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:20 am
Location: Aurora, ON
Contact:

Postby icemachine » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

20 stores stocking it, and only 5 with 10 or more six packs. Web listing still shows $15.70. Has anyone who bought it recently checked the date code?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10014
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Jon Walker wrote:These days finding ST IPA is like catching a leprechaun. I was lucky enough to find some last week in the Spadina store. The price was not reduced. I'm really at a loss to understand how the beer, supposedly a general list item, is so hard to stock with months going by between shipments. Who's dropped the ball here? Hard to build a following for the beer amongst the more beer literate GP when the item can't be easily or regularly obtained.

It's all part of Big Brother de-programming us from expecting any accountability. LOL.

I'm sure R & R do feel pretty bad about both problems.

I feel a bit silly even chasing products around but - again - the LCBO is not principally a consumer retail operation, it is a tax-collecting machine, in one of the best places to live in the world - hence, driving to Premier Gourmet Buffalo is worth it.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Belgian wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:These days finding ST IPA is like catching a leprechaun. I was lucky enough to find some last week in the Spadina store. The price was not reduced. I'm really at a loss to understand how the beer, supposedly a general list item, is so hard to stock with months going by between shipments. Who's dropped the ball here? Hard to build a following for the beer amongst the more beer literate GP when the item can't be easily or regularly obtained.

It's all part of Big Brother de-programming us from expecting any accountability. LOL.

I'm sure R & R do feel pretty bad about both problems.

I feel a bit silly even chasing products around but - again - the LCBO is not principally a consumer retail operation, it is a tax-collecting machine, in one of the best places to live in the world - hence, driving to Premier Gourmet Buffalo is worth it.




Yeah, I really don't know about the whole deprogramming thing. Seems a bit silly.

Price drops are done on a monthly basis, usually first Monday of the new month. There are hundreds of them every month, so the week before, we print all tags for the up-comming change, and then put them up when appropriate. Perhaps the news of the price drop came a bit prematurely? I'm not saying this is the case, rather a possibility.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
Roland + Russell
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:45 pm
Location: Burlington, ON.
Contact:

Postby Roland + Russell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 am

The shipment has arrived and is awaiting distribution to all stores allocated to carry it. If you don't see it in your store, please ask the manager, that is the only way to ensure it comes in.

For some reason (unknown to us), the new price will take effect on July 20 and this change will also be reflected on the LCBO's web site at the time. In the meantime, ST IPA will start hitting the shelves and it is already doing so.

We posted the price drop announcement when we were informed by the LCBO, hoping to bring some cheerful news into an otherwise dull season.

Please support not just Southern Tier, but DogFish Head and the other American craft breweries as future decisions will be made based upon their sales.

We have made some new submissions and hope that at least some will be accepted. Roland + Russell thanks you for your understanding and support.

Cheers,

R+R
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests