Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sign me up

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Sign me up

Post by dutchcanuck »

Well it sounds like Niagara College's brewmaster program is a go according to the globe and mail.
http://www.globecampus.ca/in-the-news/a ... e-program/

All I can say is I'm going to apply.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

I guess my first question would be if this certification would be viewed of real value, compared to say a degree from Siebel.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Sounds awesome!

If only I were a younger man . . .
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

jaymack wrote:I guess my first question would be if this certification would be viewed of real value, compared to say a degree from Siebel.
There are no 'degrees' from Siebel. There are only 2 week, 8 week and 12 week courses offering an 'intensive exposure to brewing' which have no recognized value other than a Siebel 'Diploma'. I would suggest the Niagara College course would actually be of legitimate value because I view Siebel as great spot to go and hang with a bunch of guys in the industry while trying a few new beers and little more.

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

hmm, I'm now considering switching my major.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I'm there!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Thansk for the insight Rob. When I first scowered the 'net some time ago it seemed all Brewmaster education programs, in North America, led back to the likes of Sieble or U of C Davis.
I assumed these were the minimal expectations of someone wanting to became a certified Brewmaster within the industry.

TJ

Post by TJ »

The_Jester wrote:Sounds awesome!

If only I were a younger man . . .
Ditto that.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

jaymack wrote:When I first scowered the 'net some time ago it seemed all Brewmaster education programs, in North America, led back to the likes of Sieble or U of C Davis.
You are right. That's pretty much all that exists in NA. The UC Davis course is an extension of their fermentation science degree program. It allows a candidate to be exposed to an 18 week brewing science and engineering course that will help them write the Institute of Brewing exams out of England. The Siebel courses are obviously offering some of the same info.

Both are legitimate sources of brewing knowledge (in short bursts) but I like the fact that Niagara is offering a 2 or 3 year (?) diploma college course with practical experience and exposure to both the science and business aspects of brewing. The micro on site is both competition for us (GR) and a training ground that removes some of the missing links from a potential employee. It sounds attractive to me.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

If I get layoff, I know where I want my EI training funds going.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole