Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your favourite OCB breweries

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

furthur personal comments on brewers others listed:

Black Oak - could have been in my top 5 for all the reasons others have mentioned but since i cant buy their beers without at least 45min of driving i dont buy them as often as id like too.

Beau's - the lug tread is the only thing ive had from them and it was awesome, id love to try more of their stuff. i also wish i could buy lug tread.

Scotch Irish/Heritage - john by and srgt majors are the only thing i buy from these guys, id buy john by year round if i could.

Denison's - they make the highest rated beer in ontario but i cant buy it without a trip to TO. bottles coming soon might push them into a top 5 spot for me

King - their pils is awesome but i havnt had anything else, cant buy it near me either

Great Lakes - hit or miss with me, other then the pumpkin i dont buy much of their stuff

Neustadt - solid lineup, i should buy their stuff more, (please make an ESB, please!)

Muskoka - solid lineup of safe brews, great value for the lager

other breweries that havnt been mentioned but have top 5 potential:

F&M - never had a bad pint of F&M, id buy it in bottles if i could

Cameron's - safe well made brews, the auburn is under-rated IMO

Flying Monkey's - wheres my Hoptical Illusion??

Granite - if i lived in TO id frequent the place but i dont think its destination worthy

MacLean's/Battleaxe - we'll see, inspirational if nothing else, makes me want to move out of my condo and buy a house with a big garage

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote: Beau's - the lug tread is the only thing ive had from them and it was awesome, id love to try more of their stuff. i also wish i could buy lug tread.
The Beau's IP Eh! iis quite the nice little surprise!

Of all the Ontario IPA's (or TRY-PA's) I've had in recent years it's in the Top Three.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:

Flying Monkey's - wheres my Hoptical Illusion??
Stopped by the brewery Thursday, was told they would be bottling today for LCBO distribution
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

austin

Post by austin »

Agree with the all the praise for Grand River .....always good stuff. Not that familiar with Better Bitters but had their Nickel Brook Cuvee '08 at Victory's Winter Cask Festival and it was exceptional. Granite's cask ales are consistently some the best in Ont. Denison's rarely disappoints.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I haven't been able to try all the OCB Brewers yet, but my top 5 would be:

1. Grand River
2. Durham
3. Neustadt
4. Mill Street
5. King

Black Oak is up there as well, but I don't see it in the store too often to drink it. Same with Better Bitters.

Great Lakes makes a great pale ale, but I've been underwhelmed with the lagers. The Orange Peel and Pumpkin ales are pretty decent too.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

1. Trafalgar Brewery
2. Stratford Brewery
3. Walkerville Brewery

Oh wait, BEST OCB breweries?....

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I've been impressed by both Grand River and Neustadt (thanks to Jesse). I also have to say Great Lakes just because I'm nuts for Devil's Pale Ale. Oh, and Beau's! Ottawa represent!!1!!!11!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bytowner wrote:I've been impressed by both Grand River and Neustadt (thanks to Jesse). I also have to say Great Lakes just because I'm nuts for Devil's Pale Ale. Oh, and Beau's! Ottawa represent!!1!!!11!
And thank YOU for my first exposure to Beau's! I really do love that Lugtread, and it's really a shame I can't get any of their other stuff without a trip to Ottawa (though I do love visiting Ottawa, I just don't get to do it enough).

For me:

1) Grand River- I've got to give it up to my local, they really are something special and if I could have an ornate fountain of Galt Knife running 24/7 in my house I could die a happy man.

2) F&M- Everything I've had from them I just love, they make some of my favourite session brews that I can enjoy in any mood and under any circumstances.

3) Beau's- The Lugtread is one of my single favourite OCB beers and I always make sure to get some when I'm in Ottawa. I hope things work out for this brewery over the next few years as I want to be able to drink their stuff for a while yet!

These are just 3 that come to mind right now. I appreciate the time and effort put in by all OCB brewers and will always be a firm supporter of local beer.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I've never tried Grand River (although their web site says they're available at the Wellington St. Gastropub here in Ottawa...good to know). I'd say my top three are:

- Beau's (Lugtread but I've liked all their seasonals too)
- Mill Street (Tankhouse and Coffee Porter in particular)
- Church Key (IPA, chocolate porter)

I don't think Church Key is an official OCB member but I'll include them anyways. I wish they were more readily available.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Inkling wrote:I've never tried Grand River (although their web site says they're available at the Wellington St. Gastropub here in Ottawa...good to know). I'd say my top three are:

- Beau's (Lugtread but I've liked all their seasonals too)
- Mill Street (Tankhouse and Coffee Porter in particular)
- Church Key (IPA, chocolate porter)

I don't think Church Key is an official OCB member but I'll include them anyways. I wish they were more readily available.
wellington gastropub has had the Galt Knife on tap for a while now, pretty much the only place in ottawa I've seen any GR.
it's beer o'clock.

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

These posts just make me sad. I have such limited access to quality brews around here :(

1. Mill Street (love the Tank, Wit, Porter and the wife enjoys the Stock)
2. Creemore springs (favourite lager to date)
3. Hockley Valley (both the dark and stout are nice)
4. True North IPA (really solid IPA but sadly hard to get now)
5. Wellington (solid beers)
6. Steam Whistle (once and a while)

Past that I have to really travel to see anything else. Not knocking those choices but even these choices are not stocked up all the time. I have had many a time where I asked for Mill St. and been told "Hmm, we only have a six of that left", there also occasions where I walk out with nothing due to poor stock. Ugh, then I go down the list and cobble together an order - "Fine! give me a two four of Moose Head" :lol:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Matty D wrote:These posts just make me sad. I have such limited access to quality brews around here :(
Ask your local LCBO to have some products you want transferred in.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

1) Grand River
2) Great Lakes
3) Nickel Brook
4) Black Oak
5) Mill St

Non-OCBs: Denison's, Church Key.
lister

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Lister, holy shit, you're right. I never even considered that I could ask for locally distributed Ontario craft beers to be transferred down here! The OCB web site even provides a listing of products with LCBO numbers.
Mat

carguy

Post by carguy »

I never thought of that either Mat. Although, I think you have to comming to buying the entire case don't you? I'd be willing to split a case of Beau's with you, as I've never had it.

And what is the latest on Dennisons? I thought it was coming to the LCBO this summer.