Lagers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
JesseM
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

Postby JesseM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 pm

pootz wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!


Dortmunder is an under appreciate/ represented style in this market.



Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).
User avatar
pootz
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:36 pm

Postby pootz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:59 pm

JesseM wrote:
pootz wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Heuther Werzberger is a really sexy lager. Id stop by the brewpub everyday for pints of that one!! Great call pootz!!


Dortmunder is an under appreciate/ represented style in this market.



Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).


H-P Edelhell is a Bavarian Helles lager...lighter in body, color and hops than a Dortmunder.
I buy a box or so of this when a fresh one shows up.
Aventinus rules!
User avatar
JesseM
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

Postby JesseM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Yeah I know what it is. But you had compared the Wuerzberger to DAB which are quite different beers so I just figured we were going on the premise that they're more or less the same style, like how they're classified on RB. But of course they are different styles. The ratebeer classifications sometimes make no sense to me, like Abt/Quad, Dort/Helles, etc. But that's another subject.
Philip1
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:10 pm

Postby Philip1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Bobsy wrote:Some interesting recs, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of my favourite readily-available lagers - Sam Adams. I think this is a brilliantly made beer, and one of the most drinkable brews I've come across.


Yes, it's got a distinctive taste. It's been one of my favourites for a while but until today I hadn't seen it at my local Beer Store for 5 or 6 weeks. It's back today but is now more than $14 for a six pack. :(
User avatar
pootz
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:36 pm

Postby pootz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:36 pm

JesseM wrote:Yeah I know what it is. But you had compared the Wuerzberger to DAB which are quite different beers so I just figured we were going on the premise that they're more or less the same style, like how they're classified on RB. But of course they are different styles. The ratebeer classifications sometimes make no sense to me, like Abt/Quad, Dort/Helles, etc. But that's another subject.


Wuerz and DAB and Lion are all Dortmunder styled lagers... yes they taste different. Taste variance in style rendition is a fact of nature in the commercial brewing arts. The Wuerz is a better representation of traditional Dortmunder style, the type popularized in Canada by Christian Huether's Lion brewery, and the Kuntz park brewery. Kelly's modern version has proper color, malt profile, body and hop bearing. The Bottled Gold Crown lion is a tad lighter in body but the same Dortmunder color and profile.

AFAIC DAB is really a poor representation of traditional Dortmunder style. Dortunder Union was a better representation , dark gold, 5.5%abv and dry hop finish but the LCBO hasn't imported this for some years now. Seems the traditional lager brewed in Dortmund has been in decline for some years now and what exists is a lightened up commercialized version. Shame. The highest rated traditional Dortmunders are made by US micros....and of course Ayinger.

As for style classifications on RB, I wouldn't take them as the gospel as often they are just a guesstimate from the first guy to review a beer. Also there are so many beers which defy style classification or bridge two or more styles that discrete style classification is fairly limited with the style list available.
Aventinus rules!
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Postby Bobsy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

JesseM wrote:Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).


I heard from a fellow bartoweller that its been (or in the process of being) replaced by the Münchener Gold.
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Bobsy wrote:
JesseM wrote:Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).


I heard from a fellow bartoweller that its been (or in the process of being) replaced by the Münchener Gold.



Can't trust those bartowel types!! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
User avatar
JesseM
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

Postby JesseM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Bobsy wrote:
JesseM wrote:Agreed. Granted, I'm somewhat lucky, my local BS has the Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell in single 500mL's, and it sells pretty well so the stock is usually at least somewhat fresh (for an import).


I heard from a fellow bartoweller that its been (or in the process of being) replaced by the Münchener Gold.


I'm actually cool with that, I've loved everything from HS/Paulaner and am always happy try something new. I'd still buy it regularly even if it's rated lower on RB (I don't take the over-all ratings on RB for lagers seriously at all). I just worry it won't sell as well because the label doesn't have the German blonde girl on it :P (I'm pretty sure that's why it sells so well while the hefe right beside it sits there for eternity, the one with the old portrait of a german brewmaster on it).
$
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby $ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:44 am

carguy wrote:Grand River Galt Knife is by far my favorite lager.


Had one last night, it really is a good lager. It's worth the trip to Cambridge!
Matty D
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Alliston

Postby Matty D » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

Picked up six cans of Muskoka lager and for the price it is rather good. It has a nice balance of hops which is sorely lacking in most lagers at this price range. It did have a bit of strange flavour in the middle that I can't put my finger on but overall it is a great alternative, thanks for the recomendation :D
User avatar
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON
Contact:

Postby SteelbackGuy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am

Matty D wrote:.........It did have a bit of strange flavour in the middle that I can't put my finger on...............



That is called malt. :D :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
User avatar
JesseM
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

Postby JesseM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:20 pm

So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me? Someone listed it as available on RB at the Uptown Waterloo LCBO, but alas it's no where to be found in KW. I'm really wanting to get my hands on some of it now :( .
User avatar
GregClow
Beer Superstar
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Parkdale
Contact:

Postby GregClow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:06 am

JesseM wrote:So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me?


Well, both the LCBO and Beer Store websites still have the Helles listed, not the Gold.

But I also see on RateBeer that DerWeg (aka Belgian) rated the Gold recently. So perhaps he can chime in and let us know where he got it?
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:21 am

GregClow wrote:
JesseM wrote:So is this Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold thing actually happening, or is it all just an elaborate joke being played on me?


Well, both the LCBO and Beer Store websites still have the Helles listed, not the Gold.

But I also see on RateBeer that DerWeg (aka Belgian) rated the Gold recently. So perhaps he can chime in and let us know where he got it?


Beer Store in the Beach.. It said Münchner Gold which first of all confused me... TBS website just says Edelhell so what I had must be a transitional shipment.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest