Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bastille Day - July 14th (Today)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Bastille Day - July 14th (Today)

Post by Guybrush »

So it's Bastille Day, and in honour of this french holiday I'm gonna avoid beer for the day and enjoy some nice cellard wine, eat some homemade fresh baked baguette, some nice cheese, and come up with some sort of french themed dinner... should be good times.

As we all know we can't drink beer in honour of Bastille Day cuz Boris beer sux, and I'm not about to buy another bottle of Fischer...

Happy Bastille Day!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Guybrush wrote:So it's Bastille Day, and in honour of this french holiday I'm gonna avoid beer for the day and enjoy some nice cellard wine, eat some homemade fresh baked baguette, some nice cheese, and come up with some sort of french themed dinner... should be good times.

As we all know we can't drink beer in honour of Bastille Day cuz Boris beer sux, and I'm not about to buy another bottle of Fischer...

Happy Bastille Day!
SOunds good. I'll crack a bottle of Cahors tonight when I get in from work.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

The best French beer I've ever had is Abbaye du Cateau Vivat Triple, which I picked up at the SAQ this winter. Although, the brewery being only 20km from the Belgian border (100km from Brussels) is a help I'm sure.

And I'm sure there is no reason we can't have the excellent beers of New France instead. Reading this post inspired me to go throw a couple Fin du Monde and Maudite in the fridge.

The baguette and cheese we already have, so sounds like a good idea to me.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm a little rusty on my social history. I'm guessing that the beer-wine divide probably came down to different sides of the monarchy and republic.
Would we celebrate the revolution with affordable table wine or with premium craft beer? What would be more appropriate?

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm a little rusty on my social history. I'm guessing that the beer-wine divide probably came down to different sides of the monarchy and republic.
Would we celebrate the revolution with affordable table wine or with premium craft beer? What would be more appropriate?
I'd always thought that it was more to do with soil conditions, and therefore ingredient availablility. And that it was more of a northern Europe-southern Europe divide than a divide within France. Soil in the south is decidedly poorer, and therefore lends itself better to grapes. In the north, conditions are such that beer ingredients flourish relative to the south. And then the areas to the west, there is a tendency to consume grain spirits, such as vodka.

I was recently considering the dearth of quality beer from France. On one hand it seems surprising considering that they share a border with Belgium, Germany et. al... but on the other hand, they also share a border with Spain, Italy et. al. so...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Tapsucker wrote:I'd always thought that it was more to do with soil conditions, and therefore ingredient availablility. And that it was more of a northern Europe-southern Europe divide than a divide within France. Soil in the south is decidedly poorer, and therefore lends itself better to grapes. In the north, conditions are such that beer ingredients flourish relative to the south. And then the areas to the west, there is a tendency to consume grain spirits, such as vodka.

I was recently considering the dearth of quality beer from France. On one hand it seems surprising considering that they share a border with Belgium, Germany et. al... but on the other hand, they also share a border with Spain, Italy et. al. so...
That's it, it's pretty much all about location and climate. Keep in mind that France hasn't always been a country and has some pretty unique local identities. There are certainly great farmhouse type beers in the Alsace and Lorraine regions. Also, I'd take cider from Normandy any day over a bottle of grape juice!