Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop head or Malt tooth?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Hop head or Malt tooth?

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So what is your guilty pleasure?

Are you a hop head? One in search of the puckering piney, cirtic bitterness? Do you seek beers with the highest IBU?

Or do you prefer the malty sweetness of a beer? Do you like the caramel, the bread or sweet fruitiness?

I am a confessed Hp Head, though I know that malt gives us the colour, the head retention, the structure and most of the flavour of a beer. I just love the hoppy beers though.

*edit note- my complete ignorance to the study of beer has left me comparing mats to heads when it should be teeth :P
Last edited by SteelbackGuy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

for me it depends on style. i find some highly rated barley wines and imperial stouts are over hopped. i also really enjoy well made malt forward lagers.

but when i feel like hops all i want is hops.

id say i have malt teeth in a hop head :P

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Malt, uh, Tooth. I've been wondering whether I am a hop head and just don't know it lately and that has led me to try alot of American hoppy beers lately. I find that the only ones I really enjoy are those with noticeable malt flavours. Favourite thus far, for that reason, is Green Flash IIPA. It has a real honey/caramel base and some wonderful bittering hops, with surprisingly little citrus flavours. So yeah, I think I'm firmly in the malt camp.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Malt-tooth. I have a difficult time with bitter foods and liquids. I can't understand how many people find many vegetables to be sweet.

As examples, beers like Deuchars IPA are okay as a single beer part of a four or five beer session of other beers. Rogue Brutal Bitter however is awful for me.
lister

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I would label myself a hop addict actually. I cannot get enough. I'm forever trying to find my next fix. Dogfish head 60 minute, ST IPA, Rogue Brutal Bitter, whatever I can get at the LCBO. When I had more disposable income I was making monthly trips to Premier just to load up on the good stuff.

I would even homebrew if the smell of anything remotely beer like didn't make my fiancee gag. Can you believe she refuses to even sample my homemade beer bred?! I keep warning her that when we move into our first house hops are being grown in the backyard and the garage is going to be converted into a brewery.

Damn this economy and my lack of employment.
If anyone has any pull I'd be willing to work "volunteer" in order to get some practical work experience.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Definitely a hop-head. Big, juicy, fresh resinous hops just can't be beat in my books. However, if a beer is simply a one-trick pony and is a totally unbalanced hop-bomb with no malty counter balance, I usually get saddened by what could have been.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The third category is Balance Beasts. Those who crave OUTRAGEOUS amounts of balance. It's like extreme moderatism.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Definitely a hop-head. Pretty much all I buy now are IPAs or the hoppy pale ales like Tankhouse and GRB Ploughmans.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Hophead.. but as JesseM stated, it's nothing without some semblance of balance. The more hops that are present the more malt that's required to balance it out. Add in some fruity yeasts and I'm in flavour country.

As an example I just had a Stone Ruination.. it's definitely on the hoppy side, but I think has a decent amount of malts to back it up. Dangerously good.

scagooch

Post by scagooch »

Really starting to be a hophead

carguy

Post by carguy »

I like hops, but like JesseM said, balance is important. That is why Grand River Plowmans is my favorite beer. Rich malty backbone, but a lot of hop bitterness in the finish. Excellent!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Definitely malt...not a hop head at all. Give me a nice dark ale, porter or impy stout anytime.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Hop junkie. Stone ruination is the tops for me right now. Beers just don't do it for me without a blast of hop aroma that singe my nose hairs.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

BALANCE!

...but if not possible, give me more hop than sweet.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Looks like hop heads are in the lead................ :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!