Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Selector: Coming Soon

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TJ

Beer Selector: Coming Soon

Post by TJ »

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

My guess is a food pairing thing or a survey that'll tell you what beer is best for you.
lister

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Maybe you type in your IQ and it tells you where to find the Coors Light. :P

carguy

Post by carguy »

So the "Beer Selector" is working on the LCBO site, but it is a total joke. You can do a search under one of two possible choices: Ales, or Lagers. So I choose "Ales", and just about spit my coffee out my nose. The first line of bottles across the screen shows, among Abbot Ale and Anchor Liberty Ale is Ashai Super Dry, and Grolsch Blonde. Now I suppose that whomever was responisble for setting this up has never drank a beer in their life, and was unaware that if they were unsure if a beer was actually an ale or a lager, they could simply look it up on ratebeer.com. However, scrolling down the list, I see some others in the "ale" section that I think are quite obvisoulsy not ales, even to someone totally ignorant of beer, since they have names like "Brooklyn Lager" and "Dos Equis Lager", or "Elora Grand Lager". So now I decide to try the "Lager" section, and at first it looks promising, but by the time you get to the "D" (they are listed in alphabetical order) you will find Durham County Signature Ale, and Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (Keiths IPA was listed under ales).

I don't know how many people looked at this before it went live to the public, but man, you'd think SOMEONE at the LCBO would have noticed that there were lots of ales listed under lagers and vice versa.

Anyway, besides being good for a laugh, it does do one thing that I've always wished I could do on the LCBO website, and that is actually list all the brand they carry. Just make sure you check out both sections!

Oh, and you could break your search further by things like country and colour, but I didn't bother using them, as I didn't want to waste any more of my coffee.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

So I click on ales and then click on Brooklyn Lager (in the ale section as noted by others) to get get details and here is another "joke":

Available formats for Brooklyn Lager:
12x341ml, 14.95
6x355ml bottles, 11.95
710ml can, 12.45

I'll be emailing them for sure on this one....

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Just doing a very quick scan, I picked out 20 Lagers in the Ale category, and there could be more that I missed, with notable ones like Nickel Brook Organic Lager, Creemore Traditional Lager, Cameron's Dark 266, Laker Lager, Muskoka Lager, etc....

In the Lager category they have brands like Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale, Dogfish, Hockley Dark, La Fin Du Monde, Tank House, Neustadt 10W30, etc....

If I was a brewer and I came across this I'd be calling the LCBO first thing to have the information corrected.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Oh man. It's beyond disheartening that the people in charge of selling beer at the LCBO don't seem to know a whole lot about beer.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Almost makes this page from the Beer Store look good. Almost...

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

inertiaboy wrote:Almost makes this page from the Beer Store look good. Almost...
That page should be shortened to just "Varieties that the Beer Store doesn't carry... save for lagers... did we mention that you can get a 28 of Canadian for the price of a 24 this week!" :roll:

As for the LCBO beer listing. Yes that is messed up horribly. However the fact that they are trying to show case a large variety of beer that is not mainstream is exciting, so kudo's for that :D I'm sure it will get sorted out, regardless if it turns a ale-a-phobe onto something new and craft brewed who cares if the category is wrong :P

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Matty D wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:Almost makes this page from the Beer Store look good. Almost...
That page should be shortened to just "Varieties that the Beer Store doesn't carry... save for lagers... did we mention that you can get a 28 of Canadian for the price of a 24 this week!" :roll:

As for the LCBO beer listing. Yes that is messed up horribly. However the fact that they are trying to show case a large variety of beer that is not mainstream is exciting, so kudo's for that :D I'm sure it will get sorted out, regardless if it turns a ale-a-phobe onto something new and craft brewed who cares if the category is wrong :P

I've contacted the person in charge, and they will look after it shortly.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

Whoops:

And for people who like beers with semicolon:

I scanned a couple of the descriptions at random, and to be fair, most of them aren't too bad as these things go. Some are weird. Waterloo Dark's is "xxxx"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Haha, that's good. I especially enjoyed this tidbit from the "Specialty Beers" description:
These beers range in alcohol content from 5.0% - 9%.

The Beer Store HATH SPOKEN!!!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bytowner wrote:
Haha, that's good. I especially enjoyed this tidbit from the "Specialty Beers" description:
These beers range in alcohol content from 5.0% - 9%.

The Beer Store HATH SPOKEN!!!!
So labatt max ice and colt 45 are specialty? :) heheh
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Even better is the search by type option. Here are the choices:
Ale
Lager
Light
Malt
Mix
Stout

Behold the mysteries of the 'Malt' type beers:
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brands ... esults.asp

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Whoops sorry. It includes Wellington Iron Duke, Brador, citrus Mead, Niagara Eisbock and Olde English. All fine 'malt' beverages.