Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Boycott the LCBO and BS, Saturday Oct 3rd

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Sales at my store were up 8% over last year on this particular day. You guys really made a difference. :)
len, im pretty that 8% was me stocking up on Tecate

So thats where all the Tecate went.

Tecate, la mierda de la cervesa!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Sales at my store were up 8% over last year on this particular day. You guys really made a difference. :)
len, im pretty that 8% was me stocking up on Tecate
Tecate is an important part of LCBO's amazing success story in Ontario!

I mean, just LOOK at all the peoplle that shop there. That proves it.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The LCBO should thank and bonus all of their employees for the hard work they did. Without them, sales would never continue to grow at such an amazing rate. Good work! :o
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Ghost542

Post by Ghost542 »

Tapsucker wrote:The LCBO should thank and bonus all of their employees for the hard work they did. Without them, sales would never continue to grow at such an amazing rate. Good work! :o

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I give up on that...at Christmas we get a form letter saying thanks for all the hard work, then they slash the budget again cutting hours, so that there are less people working.

Today was insanely busy, tons of customers wanting help and recommendations, and I am one of the more competant workers. I was stuck on cash the whole day while others socialized in the warehouse. It was pathetic.

Sorry, I needed to vent there....

$

Post by $ »

You lie! Propaganda to stop our glorious revolution!!! Ignore them!!

Belgian wrote: for fun we should organize pickets on the downtown LCBO's and incite people to join us in the pubs instead.
If I were less of an introvert I would. I was kind of hoping you more extroverted people would jump on this boycott stuff and do something. It's amazing I even communicate with people on a forum.

I'm picking Friday Nov 6 to Sunday Nov 8 for the next boycott, and more importantly, to buy beer elsewhere. LCBO sales should increase by 24% apparently.

I was just in Hartford, went to an average private chain store with so many great beers. It reminds me that a fight against the LCBO-BS government control of sales is worth it.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

$ wrote:
Belgian wrote: for fun we should organize pickets on the downtown LCBO's and incite people to join us in the pubs instead.
If I were less of an introvert I would. I was kind of hoping you more extroverted people would jump on this boycott stuff and do something. It's amazing I even communicate with people on a forum.

I'm picking Friday Nov 6 to Sunday Nov 8 for the next boycott, and more importantly, to buy beer elsewhere. LCBO sales should increase by 24% apparently.

I was just in Hartford, went to an average private chain store with so many great beers. It reminds me that a fight against the LCBO-BS government control of sales is worth it.
You guys realize that the LCBO is still getting their cut on pub sales too, right? At least that's how it works here. Everything that's sold to licensees goes through the NSLC. Even if it comes from a private store the NSLC gets a cut as wholesaler.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ghost542 wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:The LCBO should thank and bonus all of their employees for the hard work they did. Without them, sales would never continue to grow at such an amazing rate. Good work! :o
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I give up on that...at Christmas we get a form letter saying thanks for all the hard work, then they slash the budget again cutting hours, so that there are less people working.

Today was insanely busy, tons of customers wanting help and recommendations, and I am one of the more competant workers. I was stuck on cash the whole day while others socialized in the warehouse. It was pathetic.

Sorry, I needed to vent there....
It's OK!

I'm well aware workers do that in stores. It's amazing there can sometimes be 5-6 people around a store - some hiding or evading notice - yet there is perhaps ONE cash open, and you can't find ANY help on the floor.

It's probably what the particular system encourages. People like you and Steelback are different, you are posting here because you actually have some character and believe it matters whether you put some work in your work day. You CARE because of self-respect.

One has to wonder if this hurts the business of the LCBO... but then, how can it really. But the uneven spread of work does hurt the wages of good people which, as you've indicated, are having their potential earnings diluted by non-working persons on the payroll.

Be good to fire a few unmotivated staff and give guys like you the added income and shifts. Same cost, better service - and probably better sales since products are being well-represented.

(/speech mode]
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote: You guys realize that the LCBO is still getting their cut on pub sales too, right? At least that's how it works here. Everything that's sold to licensees goes through the NSLC. Even if it comes from a private store the NSLC gets a cut as wholesaler.
Well then we could all go to all these home brewers like viggo or loutman or whoever. You think these guys trade beer for groceries? :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

$

Post by $ »

Bobbyok wrote: You guys realize that the LCBO is still getting their cut on pub sales too, right? At least that's how it works here. Everything that's sold to licensees goes through the NSLC. Even if it comes from a private store the NSLC gets a cut as wholesaler.
I think it's irrelevant to the boycott idea.

The protests (or lack of at this point) are to boycott government sales of beer and the granting of the monopoly to the BS. I'd assume with private sales there will still be an agency that deals in licensing and such.

The other point of the boycott is to shop somewhere else, most likely at breweries here in Ontario.

And lastly, the boycott could prompt the LCBO to carry better beers and have more selection.

It's a triple win for anyone who participates. I'll try and get more extroverted about it in the near future.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

"Better beers, more selection" - a noble cause. I'm sure even the titanic LCBO is slowly becoming aware that great craft beer is far more than a weird fringe interest.

Can't keep on selling $200 + Bordeaux wines in a system that ignores Rochefort and De Dolle beers. It's too hypocritical, it must change.
In Beerum Veritas