Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mike Duggan's New Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobsy wrote:Looks like the latest new beer is #17 Czech Pils. I'll be popping by tonight to check it out.
/
I found the hopping a bit odd - I am not often enamored with European hops - but I enjoyed it enough to order it again when I went back this week. I think the German lager is slightly more drinkable overall but both are nice.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

JerCraigs wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Looks like the latest new beer is #17 Czech Pils. I'll be popping by tonight to check it out.
/
I found the hopping a bit odd - I am not often enamored with European hops - but I enjoyed it enough to order it again when I went back this week. I think the German lager is slightly more drinkable overall but both are nice.
I had the Czech Pilsener yesterday and I enjoyed it. I think I like it more than the German Pilsener, but I haven't had that one since December so maybe my memory of it has faded. I hope more new beers keep coming!

I'm also happy to say that all the service stuff I mentioned previously was not an issue last night. It was even the same waiter.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I really digged the pils, and preferred it to the German version. This is the crappy review I wrote about it on BA:
Glass at the brewpub.

This arrives a clear light gold with a finger of creamy white head that leaves sheets of lace as it slowly drops to a film. A classic appearance, well executed, and its a sight to behold in the correct glassware, with a candle backlighting it. The aroma is neat - some floral notes mixing with lemon and pillowy malt. Quite inviting.

Taste is damn solid for a pils. Big soft pils malt provides a bicuity backbone and a hint of cereal and cream. The hops really shine, and provide a decent, yet balanced, bitterness to this beer. Some grassiness, some lemon, pepper, floral notes... they are all there. Well balanced and satisfying with the soft mouthfeel of a well made pilsener.

Tough to fault this one. Its clean, well-made and I could drink it all night. Chalk another one up for Mr. Duggan.
As mentioned on the news page, the retail store is selling Number 9 right now. I believe a 4-pack was around $8.45, but don`t quote me on that.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

$8.75/4 pack (still in the old ISB bottles, not yet in the (assumedly) new American-style, painted label bottle that they have on display at the brewpub. According to the very friendly front of house guy, they'll be selling growlers in a couple days time (with any luck by the weekend - they received the shipment today) of ANY BEER THEY CURRENTLY HAVE ON TAP! Fills directly from the tap, with refills the same. Looking forward to a growler of that great stout very soon...

And Bobsy, "digged"? :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

New 'branded' glassware today. The skinniest looking 'pint glasses' I've ever seen, and these amazingly shrimpy half-pints.

I'm going on record to say the so-called 'half' pints look so tiny it is embarassing.

They swear it is 10 oz, but they look 7-8 oz to me, with maybe a 6.5 oz fill under the cap of foam. Glorified 'sample glass' really.

So sad, when this place could be so great. Guess I'll need to go to C'est What to get an 'honest' 550 ml pint of #9!
In Beerum Veritas

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

Belgian wrote:New 'branded' glassware today. The skinniest looking 'pint glasses' I've ever seen...
These are the ones the waitress swore to me were 20oz. Yeah, okay...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Know what, I'm revising my somewhat litigious stance, partly based on the Pub Reviews thread Greg locked:

Duggan's may be silly to misrepresent how many oz the serving carries (please train your staff MD!) but at least I know what I'm getting & I say the price is just fine. Life's too short to not just enjoy good beer with good people. Duggan's is still a gem for the quality of the beer alone.

Yes, Belgian is done carping about this now. Thank you for listening.
In Beerum Veritas

Mr. Lou Pepe

Post by Mr. Lou Pepe »

To be honest here, I think its fair to criticize an establishment for certain things , but if the people running this place want to serve 16oz instead of 20oz, let them do that. Its a brewpub. Usually, people sample beers at brewpubs and at that price, i think its a great idea to have smaller pints. If your too snobbish to understand their business structure, then just do not support the place.

On to the beer, the Porter is defiantly one of the top brands, followed by the Asian Lager. Keep the good work MD! Havn't tried the food, but it looks good.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: I'm going on record to say the so-called 'half' pints look so tiny it is embarassing.
The DDC glasses at Volo also look very small in comparison to the "half pint" glasses most places use - because most places use 12 oz glasses.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

The only thing I can complain about a $5 16oz at Duggan's is that they inconsistently pour and refuse to top up a glass that is obviously under filled, saying "it's supposed to be poured like that" when the pint before that was filled to the brim. She ran away before I could say otherwise. :\ They also changed up the gravy on the Duck Poutine to something lighter (in flavour/colour - like moving from beef to poultry stock), which I'm not sure I like as much. Still a good deal but it's sad to see the deliciousness of something like that decrease, since I'd pay more for it if needed.
Mat

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JerCraigs wrote:look very small in comparison to the "half pint" glasses most places use - because most places use 12 oz glasses.
Yeah, that's pretty common. Most places pour bottles as well, so it saves them from stocking yet another sized glass. It also makes the pint look like a better deal (it's much less than twice the price of a 'half-pint')... easy upselling.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mjohnston wrote: The only thing I can complain about a $5 16oz at Duggan's is that they inconsistently pour and refuse to top up a glass that is obviously under filled, saying "it's supposed to be poured like that" when the pint before that was filled to the brim. She ran away before I could say otherwise. :\
She's saving her mileage. I'd go to the bar.

Great it's doing so well!
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Checked out the place this week. Pretty stark inside, but packed with people! Beer was really good - tried the Asian Lager, IPA, Stout and Belgian Triple. Glasses are small, put so are the prices for the beer. Not sure what the fuss is all about. If a recall correctly, they were advertised as full and half, put no word pint in there. I'll be back for sure.

austin

Post by austin »

Finally got to Duggan's. The real winner is Mike's #8 London Porter...good stuff. Although the atmosphere is not as good as Volo or C'est, the food portions and quality are ok. Great to have the take out 4 pack of #9 and looking forward to growlers in the future. Another solid beer destination for this city and worth the trip to Duggan's.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I popped in for a minute earlier this afternoon as I was in the area. No growlers yet and no evidence that they are imminent, at least judging from the guy I spoke to who seemed to have no knowledge of them whatsoever. The "beer store" space on the Lombard St. side doesn't appear to be quite ready yet.