Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Strep Throat

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Strep Throat

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is the worst thing I've had in some time. Can't swallow a thing, hard to breathe properly, can't sleep......can't have a damn beer! EFF the STREP!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Victory throat lozenges (or anything similar with linseed oil) really help a lot:
http://www.abitofhome.ca/page/C1/PROD/6041302

The sugar probably breeds more stuff, but keeping it lubed with oil feels good.

And some hard liquor is a good antiseptic... warm sake?

Magni

Post by Magni »

I almost died from Strep Throat this past March. Cepacol is the 'doctor recommended' lozenge. Also for the pain try going to the pharmacist and asking for Mersyndol, it's acetaminophen, codeine and a sleeping drug. Sleep, and don't forget to get it checked up and take antibiotics!

(i'm still recovering from what it did to my body)

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

If your the homeopathic type I recommend Oregano Oil... kills everything. Available at most health food stores.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Derek wrote: keeping it lubed with oil feels good.
there's a line there somewhere, but i can't quite put my finger on it. sorry sorry. tired and on a neocitran buzz.

but seriously though, len, i feel your pain. i get strep every friggin' march like clockwork. aside from loads of sleep, i find herbal teas (say, chamomile) with a bit of honey are nice. or, nuke some brandy for 30 seconds or so, then put a bit of lemon juice and some honey.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

if you have strep, you def need to get antibiotics

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

northyorksammy wrote:if you have strep, you def need to get antibiotics

I am Sam. It was the first thing I did. Thanks for the concern though, I appreciate it.

Hey, one thing I've learned out of this I guess is that Strep Throat is bad, but at least there isn't a Strep Penis...........:P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Unfortunately, some species of Strep can colonize the urethra under certain conditions. :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Same bacteria streptococcus can cause necrotizing fascititis, a cheerful little disease that rapidly kills away the flesh if it gets around to the wrong place in the body.

That probably won't happen. But get plenty rest & blow off all other time obligations till you are feeling chip chip!
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I feel for ya. Due to what can only be described as the horrific burn that now dwells on my right forearm the Doc recommended that I abstain from alcohol as it might slow the healing process. However I don't think 1 or 2 a night will slow anything down too much. :D

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

boney wrote:Unfortunately, some species of Strep can colonize the urethra under certain conditions. :o
I don't think Lenny's that flexible. :D