Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Railway City Dead Elephant Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Railway City Dead Elephant Ale

Post by SteelbackGuy »

A one off that celebrates the late Jumbo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo ) , that will be available on September 16th, 2009, in 750 ml bottles. This is a very limited one batch brew and once they are gone, they are gone. My feeling is that this will be an IPA.
I will be there bright and early to grab some bottles once they open.

I will be taking "orders" via PM if anyone is interested in having a bottle. I am willing top buy in advance for Bartowel members, and we can work out the details at a later time. I will post once my max has been reached. My understanding is that the bottles have a unique collectible design and the beer will be quite good.

In any event, this might be your only chance to get this beer.

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ok, the spots have been filled, thanks for your interest. I'll be contacting folks when I have these in my possession.

Thanks!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

I was told at the brewery that they this beer will be hoppier....I will believe it when I see/taste it.
I am still waiting for an Ontario brewer to make a lupulin punching, tongue bursting IPA.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Dokta Owange wrote:I was told at the brewery that they this beer will be hoppier....I will believe it when I see/taste it.
I am still waiting for an Ontario brewer to make a lupulin punching, tongue bursting IPA.
We're almost there I guess, but isn't it just so much safer for every brewery to brew a pale lager and tell us that they have to take "baby steps".

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ok update time- Tomorow I go get the beer. There's one wrench that has been thrown into the plans.

Originally the brewery was doing 500 750 ml bottles with a really cool design for bottle collection sake. Well according to the brewery, not everything could be ready in time but they still wanted to release the beer. So they have decided to release 100, 2L growlers instead.
By the time I get there tomorrow, they might be sold out. They would only put 2 aside for me, 1 of which is for me, 1 of which is for a good friend.

So here is the deal.....IF there are any more when I get there, I will pick up an additional growler or two, and all of the people that contacted me about this beer will have to answer a trivia question and those to get it right will win a jug of the beer. This is the only fair way I can do it given the situation.

Cheers

Len

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Delicious.

Going to need to buy more of this, lots of growlers at the store in case anyone was wondering.

Well hopped, good bitterness, don't even notice the 6.8% alc. until it's too late...

P.S. Tried the Cigarette-way City IronSpike Ale, not as bad as everyone was saying, but did taste like the smell of a burnt cigarette filter / scorched - boiled dry pot of boiled potatoes.... really interesting.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Yes it is absolutely delicious. Very well hopped, and the bitterness was quite prominent. Seemed like a lot more than the 45 IBU it is supposed to be. I drank my growler in about two hours.

I am going to be raffling off one growler of this to all the BTers who contacted me regarding this beer. Just have to come up with some sort of trivia question.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

growler from a trade with jimmay. bottled on sept 15th 2009. pours bright orange with a short lived white head and no retention, some lacing. aroma of railway city smoke malt, tangerine, and pale malt. flavour of true north IPA fermented by railway city. there is a weird smoky element and there is a biscuit malt body. its weird in so many ways. its hoppy and bitter but the malt profile is so strange its distracting. i cant figure this brewery out. bring back to yeast filled belgian styled blonde!! whats up with the smoke railway city??

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Too bad about your sample. I've had several now and no smoke yet. Plus they told me they fixed the smoke problem because they found the source.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Too bad about your sample. I've had several now and no smoke yet. Plus they told me they fixed the smoke problem because they found the source.
i wanted to love it len but it had the exact same thing going on as my most recent sample of the blonde. i do appreciate the hops though.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

looking forward to trying at c'est what

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

northyorksammy wrote:looking forward to trying at c'est what
It's on tap at Volo tonight.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:looking forward to trying at c'est what
It's on tap at Volo tonight.

Hopefully it is good. My samples have been excellent. A few others diasagree of course, but that always happens. Some people like the Church Key Mead and others the Nickel Brook Apple Pils.............

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Gotta say that I was totally underwhelmed by the beer tonight at Volo. Personally, I couldn't get past get the smoky aroma and flavour of the beer. It just seemed to be a weird hybrid that didn't quite work. But each to their own.

WilliamEstevan

Post by WilliamEstevan »

I'm glad someone else mentioned the smoky flavour! I was told that I was crazy when I brought it up (we were drinking it beside the Iron Spike blonde, from the batch that tastes like an ashtray).[/quote]