Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lake of Bays Brewery to open in Muskoka in 2010

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Lake of Bays Brewery to open in Muskoka in 2010

Post by GregClow »

Second Muskoka microbrewery to open in Baysville

It won’t be much longer until Muskoka is flaunting a new taste in beer.

Construction of the new Lake of Bays Brewing Company, at the northwest corner of Bay Street and Hwy 117 in Baysville is slated to begin early this September.

The up-and-coming, 4,000- square-foot craft microbrewery, which is expected to be completed by early December, will feature high ceilings, an exposed timber frame, a retail store and large windows allowing the public to view the brewery’s 20-barrel production system.

By the end of December, once the facility’s main brewing system is delivered and set up, the young brewmaster and president Darren Smith will begin working on the Lake of Bays Brewing Company’s specialty recipe development.

If all goes as planned, the Lake of Bays Brewing Company will officially open its doors and begin distribution next year on the Victoria Day long weekend. The microbrewery will produce around 10,000 litres of beer every week, and as it will be opening in the summer, Smith, 22, says he is looking to start the brewery off with a signature summer ale.

[See http://muskokasun.com/article/144091 for the rest of the article]

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Man if my daddy was bankrolling I'd have started a brewery long ago!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Nice to see it getting some press already. I drive right through Lake of Bays on the way to the cottage and Gary McMullen (LOM) mentioned this was in development a while back. Looking forward to stopping in (maybe this weekend) to have a look.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

does he have any brewing reputation?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

northyorksammy wrote:does he have any brewing reputation?
So long as the beer tastes cold, I don't care.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I heard Lake of Bays Light Lime is the summer ale they've been planning

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

I'm excited by this but very skeptical. It sounds like they are trying to make a cool trendy retail operation, appeal to the cottage crowd. As such I think it will be a macro type beer with a "cool-factor" micro-appeal that will make people think there getting something special.

I hope their succesfull but I really hope that they make a great beer.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i guess steelback guy has got it right

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Please inform Lake of Bays Brewing that they are not allowed to be any less good than Lakes of Muskoka Brewing, because what would the point. Lakes of Muskoka Brewing are pretty decent IMO.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

the market will inform them

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I think the Lakes of Muskoka Hefe is better than decent. Under-rated, IMO.