Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Go Train/Bus to Peterbrough

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Publican

New Go Train/Bus to Peterbrough

Post by Publican »

I was checking out the Go Transit website and found that there is a new service to Peterborough. This will be great as there are a few places to go to get some craft beer.

The weekend schedule is as follows
Toronto Union- Peterbrough
7:13 am-9:10 am
10:13 am-12:10 pm
1:13 pm- 3:10 pm
4:13 pm-6:10 pm
7:13 pm-9:10 pm
11:13 pm-1:10am

Peterbrough to Toronto Union
6:25 am-8:37 am
9:25 am-11:37 am
12:25 pm-2:37 pm
3:25 pm-5:37 pm
6:25 pm-8:37 pm
10:25 pm-12:37 am

The return fare from Union Station is $32.50

The Go Train dosen't stop anywhere else in Toronto. The next eastbound stop it makes is Pickering so Bartowelres living in the far east of Scarbrough or east of Toronto should check www.gotransit.com for times and cost from Pickering.

The last time I was in Peterbrough was in the late 1990's on a bus trip with CABA. We visited a malt extract factory, Kawartha Lakes Brewery, and the Old Stone Brewpub where I had my first stout. I plan to vist Publican House, Old Stone, and St. Veronus Cafe And Tap Room

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea. I may well make the trip out there at some point to hit the joints you mentioned.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Wow that's a great service. I wish it existed when I live in Peterborough!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That IS a good way to check out the bars.... blood alcohol be damned.
In Beerum Veritas

$

Post by $ »

so that's a train to Oshawa and then a bus to Peterborough. At first I thought there was train service all the way!

One cool train service I did notice is a weekend train to Niagara falls and St Catherines. It says "seasonal" though.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

$ wrote:so that's a train to Oshawa and then a bus to Peterborough. At first I thought there was train service all the way!

One cool train service I did notice is a weekend train to Niagara falls and St Catherines. It says "seasonal" though.
Ya, from what I understand the train service will only go on weekends/holidays until Thanksgiving, but they just started up Go busses that leave from the Burlington station during the week too.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Don't forget the Ritz Deli North for some Durham Bitter on cask.

And if you come October 3rd weekend, the Publican House will have a new Vienna Lager ready for you.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

The_Jester wrote:Don't forget the Ritz Deli North for some Durham Bitter on cask.

And if you come October 3rd weekend, the Publican House will have a new Vienna Lager ready for you.
Eeverytime I go home to visit I always hit the Ritz Deli North. Fantastic food with great beer. If only it existed before I moved!!!

Publican

Post by Publican »

I travelled to Peterbrough this past Saturday. The GO Train was 2 minutes late getting into Oshawa but that was alright as the Go Bus driver said that they always wait for the train to get to the station and the passengers get on the coach before he leaves. The ride was great as the Go Bus goes near Lake Ontario in Oshawa and the trip on Hwy's35/115 is nice as there is rolling countryside with lots of forests on the way up to Peterbrough.

Now to the Beer, after arriving at 12:30 I headed to Old Stone Brewing where I had a pint of Pickwicks Best Bitter and a pint of Or Dubh Stout. The Pickwicks was alright only slightly bitter but the Stout was awesome just like I remembered it back in the 90's when I was last at Old Stone. The cost of these pints were $5.00 each :D After having lunch I went to St Vernous Cafe and Tap Room where I had a Petrus Oud Bruin which was good although a little thin in the body. I finnally headed to Publican House where they only had the House Ale on tap. It was a golden colour and had a aroma of bread and sweet malt with a hint of bitterness. This was served in a 12oz glass and cost $3.50. The Publican House has a nice patio and it will be great when the former Peterbrough Arms is open. I bought two growlers of Square Nail Pale Ale.

After leaving Publican House I still had a hour till kill till the bus left. I was going to go to Ritz deli North but as I was walking I noticed a sign outside a coffee house that had a Church key brewing sign on the sidwalk I went in and found that they had two taps (which were on a old fridge) Church Key Holy Smoke and Square Nail Pale Ale I had two pints of Square Nail and a half of the Holy Smoke. The cost for pints was $5.50. This coffee shop is called The Spill and is located at 414 George St ph 705-748-6167, www.thespill.ca

This was a great day and I plan to return the growlers and get more beer next month. I should be a great ride up to Peterbrough as the leaves may be changing colour then

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Sounds like a good trip! I didn't know the Spill started to serve beer. I'll have to check it out next time I'm back home.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Two and a half pints in an hour is pretty good going! I am going to do this trip... its just a matter of time.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Bobsy wrote:Two and a half pints in an hour is pretty good going! I am going to do this trip... its just a matter of time.
I bet he puked!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

viggo wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Two and a half pints in an hour is pretty good going! I am going to do this trip... its just a matter of time.
I bet he puked!!
All over the fackin' bus! :oops:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

viggo wrote:
I bet he puked!!
Wonder if it was a double decker bus? :evil:

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

nickelass wrote:Sounds like a good trip! I didn't know the Spill started to serve beer. I'll have to check it out next time I'm back home.
Nor did I. I'll have to check it out. Even The Pig's Ear is serving Publican House beer now.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman