Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Denison's Weissbier: Portable Take Home Edition

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:
cannondale wrote:Fantastic news!

I thought Denison's was set on 500 mL bottles?
Michael covers that on his web page.
And he also mentions which LCBO outlets will be carrying it, at least to start:

Toronto
Queens Quay
Bay & Bloor (Manulife Building)
Summerhill and Yonge
Parliament & Gerrard
Queen & Coxwell
Coxwell & O'Connor
Laird Drive
Overlea & Millwood
4525 Kingston Road
Meadowvale Towne Centre
Bloor West Village
Weston Road and 401

Oakville
Oakville Upper Middle Road and 8th Line

Barrie
Bayfield Street

Hamilton
Main St. E.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Queef wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I hope "selceted" LCBO stores means it will make its way around the province, and not just where the brewery wants to deliver, or else distribution will essentially be the same.
I'll take "where the brewery wants to deliver", over allowing something like the LCBO or beer store taking care of the product properly anyday. My guess would be, most breweries probably feel the same about their product.
LCBO distribution is a great thing as more people should get to try this amazing beer, but if it is only going to be in the GTA, then essentially nothing will have changed.
In the case of Denisons I hope that means whatever works in getting the freshest beer to the consumer, consistently, and with good turnover (why sell it in outlets it doesn't move? - a dusty old can of Hefe will be pretty lifeless and there's no point at all.) Michael is particular about the sale condition of his product so that could translate to only high-volume outlets in south eastern ontario.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

GregClow wrote:
lister wrote:
cannondale wrote:Fantastic news!

I thought Denison's was set on 500 mL bottles?
Michael covers that on his web page.
And he also mentions which LCBO outlets will be carrying it, at least to start:

Toronto
Queens Quay
Bay & Bloor (Manulife Building)
Summerhill and Yonge
Parliament & Gerrard
Queen & Coxwell
Coxwell & O'Connor
Laird Drive
Overlea & Millwood
4525 Kingston Road
Meadowvale Towne Centre
Bloor West Village
Weston Road and 401

Oakville
Oakville Upper Middle Road and 8th Line

Barrie
Bayfield Street

Hamilton
Main St. E.
No Bayview Village? I think it'd be a better choice than Laird (which was nice when it opened, but the stocking seems kind of spotty).

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Nice! I'm a 6 minute walk from the Oakville location.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Looks like I'll just have to transfer a case to my store and hoard it from the rest of the Londoners! Muahahahaha!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Michael suggested recently that he was particularly pleased with the batch for canning, which is good news for his many fans.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

Derek wrote:
No Bayview Village? I think it'd be a better choice than Laird (which was nice when it opened, but the stocking seems kind of spotty).
Overlea & Millwood is even worse! Seems to cater mainly to the Molson Black Ice 1183 ml buyer.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

tupalev wrote:I'm not sure I understand the fascination with people wanting every single beer to be available in every single LCBO, or every area of Ontario. We live a in Province bigger than most countries, yet we insist small locally made craft brews must be delivered to LCBO's from Ottawa to Windsor. Half the threads on here these days are people complaining that said beer is not available in London or Ottawa. Craft beer is a local thing - if I was a brewer, I would not want my beer to travel, especially through the LCBO distribution system where you have no control over the conditions, unless I knew it would survive in perfect condition. Pasteurized strong Fullers beers are not the same as a very delicate Weissbier that has never been available in cans before. Some beers are built for traveling and some are not. Let's see how this one does before we are clamouring for it at our local LCBO's hundreds of km's away from where it is made ok?

I know we all want the beer, hell I do these days as i do not live in Toronto any more, but I have no problem with these ultra small craft breweries - Dennison's, Church Key, Grand River - only making their beer available to select LCBO's near them (I do not know if this will be the case with Dennison's, but it is for the other two). It makes sense.

But come on Len, whether you get the beer or not, how can you say you are not excited about Dennison's being available in cans? This is perhaps the most highly regarded Ontario Craft Brew and it is finally available for take home consumption! This is a big step for one of Canada's most talented brewers, as a fan of great beer in this Province, I am very excited.

I think you are right. On one hand we want choice, on the other we become spoiled for it. There is some pleasure in finding good local gems and enjoying them. This does go away with too many options. I'm sure I overlook many great beers when I'm in the store because I have so many to choose from.

Local and focused works well for me as a consumer, though I generally don't admit it! I like to get anything I want wherever I want!

On the other hand, I resent a distribution system that makes it difficult for a brewer to do whatever they can to grow their business. If a brewer wants to restrict their geography to deliver the best product without shipping compromise great, but. if they want to grow their territory, why does it have to be made difficult for them?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Definitely. If Denisons in cans does well in its immediate geography (and is therefore always fresh and delicious at time of sale) how is that a bad thing, for now at least.

I would also hope that brewers in OTHER parts of Ontario feel encouraged to bring a similar level or range of brewing to their OWN local market.

On a loosely related 'local beer' note the Dragon's Breath Pale in Kingston yesterday was really great.

Look forward to the Denisons!
In Beerum Veritas

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Dragon's Breath Pale in Kingston yesterday was really great.
Is that cask or keg Belgian? It has not been in good form the last few times I have been there - I've started just ordering St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout when I go there, as I do really like the atmosphere and food in that pub...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jamie Mistry of Amsterdam just posted "Canning Denisons Weissbier" to his Twitter (@trubman) - so I guess the secret's out re: where it's being canned. :wink:

notdan

Post by notdan »

I'll have a to pick some up next time I go through Toronto. I keep hearing about how amazing this beer is, though I have tried it twice now and can't seem to get a good sample. First time was at Bier Markt and it was old and flavourless. Next time was at the Golden Tap Awards, where it was flavourful, but it seemed really funky/sulphury... unless that's how it's supposed to taste, or maybe my palate was messed up from trying too many beers. In any case, looking forward to trying this again in a new format.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:Jamie Mistry of Amsterdam just posted "Canning Denisons Weissbier" to his Twitter (@trubman) - so I guess the secret's out re: where it's being canned. :wink:
I hope they send some to the NSLC with their next shipment of Blonde and Raspberry Wheat! And I think that would make it easier to get a shipment to a private store in NS too - I may have to start bugging some people to see if they can get it.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:I hope they send some to the NSLC with their next shipment of Blonde and Raspberry Wheat! And I think that would make it easier to get a shipment to a private store in NS too - I may have to start bugging some people to see if they can get it.
I'm pretty sure that Michael is still brewing at Cool, and just sending the beer to Amsterdam to be canned. In which case I don't think Amsterdam would be able to send it anywhere - distribution, etc. would still be up to Denison's/Michael.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:I hope they send some to the NSLC with their next shipment of Blonde and Raspberry Wheat! And I think that would make it easier to get a shipment to a private store in NS too - I may have to start bugging some people to see if they can get it.
I'm pretty sure that Michael is still brewing at Cool, and just sending the beer to Amsterdam to be canned. In which case I don't think Amsterdam would be able to send it anywhere - distribution, etc. would still be up to Denison's/Michael.
I realize that, but shipping it all out from the same place would certainly be easier than shipping it from Amsterdam back to Cool and then out to distribution. So if Michael did have an order from NS he could coordinate shipping with the Amsterdam folks. In theory anyway.