Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Denison's Weissbier: Portable Take Home Edition

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Magni

Post by Magni »

Just went to the Parliament & Gerrard LCBO (which is not even close to Gerrard) but conveniently at the end of my street. The beer guy hadn't even heard of Denisons, which is first saying a lot seeing as he is the beer guy, and second scary since apparently they are supposed to be stocking it.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

So what's the latest news on this? I'm really looking forward to being able to have this stuff in Barrie.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

FYI, there was a case of Denison's in the cooler at the Manulife (Bay/Bloor) LCBO when I was there around 5:30!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

i can't even find it in the lcbo system yet, but good for you if you found some in the store already.

now i just have to wait for it to hit Barrie. :)

maple99

Post by maple99 »

Despite the fact that I dissed them above, Overlea & Millwood actually had the goods today.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

looking forward to getting some cans of this one. perhaps some will find its way up to markham (store #590 at woodbine+hwy 7 is probably the best store in the area). i know we've got at least one other markham bartoweler that'll help keep the stock moving.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Collingwood LCBO now has 8,000 cans. (Disregard this if you're new on BarTowel.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Collingwood LCBO now has 8,000 cans. (Disregard this if you're new on BarTowel.)

Nice!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

It's not on the "to start" list, but the Parkdale Brock St. LCBO had half a case when I stopped in about an hour ago.

And, on a another note - is it a heresy to say that I prefer the canned Muskoka Hefe to the canned Denison's? Denison's in the can seems a different beer than on tap... :( Will have to re-sample. Perhaps my tastebuds are off after an afternoon at the Slow Food Brick Works Picnic...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:It's not on the "to start" list, but the Parkdale Brock St. LCBO had half a case when I stopped in about an hour ago.

And, on a another note - is it a heresy to say that I prefer the canned Muskoka Hefe to the canned Denison's? Denison's in the can seems a different beer than on tap... :( Will have to re-sample. Perhaps my tastebuds are off after an afternoon at the Slow Food Brick Works Picnic...
Well Muskoka does put some import Hefeweizen to shame, but Michael "The Brewer" was been quoted "the canned Denisons is bette than draught" which it should be since it only took 3 or 20 years to package, LOL.

Ahh, time will tell. It's at my two favorite stops, gotta love living in Toronto.
In Beerum Veritas

TJ

Post by TJ »

velovampire wrote:It's not on the "to start" list, but the Parkdale Brock St. LCBO had half a case when I stopped in about an hour ago.

And, on a another note - is it a heresy to say that I prefer the canned Muskoka Hefe to the canned Denison's? Denison's in the can seems a different beer than on tap... :( Will have to re-sample.
I picked some up there yesterday. I find it just about the most depressing LCBO on the planet.

I had one a few hours later with my girlfriend (she loves Denison's). Funnily enough, we both said it didn't taste like it tasted on tap and I commented that, other than the flatness, I preferred the Muskoka. There was just an off flavour in the canned version...and yeah. I think I need to re-sample as well. :-?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hmm, I can only speculate and wonder at that. Maybe there is still some tweaking going on - but I'm sure they will nail it. How can they not? One very nice Hefe I remember was a 50cl can mailed to me from Germany. Very tasty banana-clove, citrus and bubblegum. It was made by Tucher! I am guessing because it was local release it was not pasteurized (as are the imports we get.)
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:Hmm, I can only speculate and wonder at that. Maybe there is still some tweaking going on - but I'm sure they will nail it. How can they not? One very nice Hefe I remember was a 50cl can mailed to me from Germany. Very tasty banana-clove, citrus and bubblegum. It was made by Tucher! I am guessing because it was local release it was not pasteurized (as are the imports we get.)
Tucher make some good shit - if you get a chance try their Bajuvator doppelbock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Grabbed just three cans just to try the current batch, and from my Prinzregent Luitpold glass (the brewery from whioh the Denisons yeast came) this Hefe tastes just about right on. Notable citrus in this particular brewing!

Cheers
JK
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I was surprised not to see any at Queens Quay the other day. I count on them to have just about everything. Actually, there was a dearth of choice there. I guess they don't stock the variety they used to. :cry:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.