Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Denison's Weissbier: Portable Take Home Edition

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Denison's Weissbier: Portable Take Home Edition

Post by lister »

http://www.denisons.ca/

"Pending LCBO final approval, our Weissbier should be available in selected LCBO stores, and from the retail store at the brewery during the last week of September. Just in time for Oktoberfest!

Look for Denison’s Weissbier in 473ml cans, LCBO # 132480, $2.60. Look for a distinctive blue and gold container with our Weissbier logo prominently displayed."

:D
lister

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Awesome! Sounds like we should be able to get some next week!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Excellent news. Always loved this one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Been enjoyng Denisons a lot on draught, cans should serve it well.
In Beerum Veritas

bartle

Post by bartle »

HUZZAH!!!
enjoi

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I hope "selceted" LCBO stores means it will make its way around the province, and not just where the brewery wants to deliver, or else distribution will essentially be the same.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I hope "selceted" LCBO stores means it will make its way around the province, and not just where the brewery wants to deliver, or else distribution will essentially be the same.
I'll take "where the brewery wants to deliver", over allowing something like the LCBO or beer store taking care of the product properly anyday. My guess would be, most breweries probably feel the same about their product.
it's beer o'clock.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Fantastic news!

I thought Denison's was set on 500 mL bottles?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Queef wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I hope "selceted" LCBO stores means it will make its way around the province, and not just where the brewery wants to deliver, or else distribution will essentially be the same.
I'll take "where the brewery wants to deliver", over allowing something like the LCBO or beer store taking care of the product properly anyday. My guess would be, most breweries probably feel the same about their product.
LCBO distribution is a great thing as more people should get to try this amazing beer, but if it is only going to be in the GTA, then essentially nothing will have changed.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
LCBO distribution is a great thing as more people should get to try this amazing beer, but if it is only going to be in the GTA, then essentially nothing will have changed.
Even if it was only available in the GTA, I think it's a great step forward... drinkin' at home, cottage/camping (cans are a great choice), and even trading!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Even if it was only available in the GTA, I think it's a great step forward... drinkin' at home, cottage/camping (cans are a great choice), and even trading!

Like I said, there is no doubt it is a great thing, but I am not going to get too excited until I see it on London shelves.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with people wanting every single beer to be available in every single LCBO, or every area of Ontario. We live a in Province bigger than most countries, yet we insist small locally made craft brews must be delivered to LCBO's from Ottawa to Windsor. Half the threads on here these days are people complaining that said beer is not available in London or Ottawa. Craft beer is a local thing - if I was a brewer, I would not want my beer to travel, especially through the LCBO distribution system where you have no control over the conditions, unless I knew it would survive in perfect condition. Pasteurized strong Fullers beers are not the same as a very delicate Weissbier that has never been available in cans before. Some beers are built for traveling and some are not. Let's see how this one does before we are clamouring for it at our local LCBO's hundreds of km's away from where it is made ok?

I know we all want the beer, hell I do these days as i do not live in Toronto any more, but I have no problem with these ultra small craft breweries - Dennison's, Church Key, Grand River - only making their beer available to select LCBO's near them (I do not know if this will be the case with Dennison's, but it is for the other two). It makes sense.

But come on Len, whether you get the beer or not, how can you say you are not excited about Dennison's being available in cans? This is perhaps the most highly regarded Ontario Craft Brew and it is finally available for take home consumption! This is a big step for one of Canada's most talented brewers, as a fan of great beer in this Province, I am very excited.

Queef

Post by Queef »

I've come to accept that I can't get Grand River bottles in eastern ontario, the same way I can't get Lake Placid stuff at the LCBO (even only being 2 hours south of me). If I really want it, I'll travel for it and get it.
I, in no way trust the LCBO distro to properly care for craft beer. If I was a brewery I would trust them even less.
it's beer o'clock.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

tupalev wrote:I'm not sure I understand the fascination with people wanting every single beer to be available in every single LCBO, or every area of Ontario. We live a in Province bigger than most countries, yet we insist small locally made craft brews must be delivered to LCBO's from Ottawa to Windsor. Half the threads on here these days are people complaining that said beer is not available in London or Ottawa. Craft beer is a local thing - if I was a brewer, I would not want my beer to travel, especially through the LCBO distribution system where you have no control over the conditions, unless I knew it would survive in perfect condition. Pasteurized strong Fullers beers are not the same as a very delicate Weissbier that has never been available in cans before. Some beers are built for traveling and some are not. Let's see how this one does before we are clamouring for it at our local LCBO's hundreds of km's away from where it is made ok?

I know we all want the beer, hell I do these days as i do not live in Toronto any more, but I have no problem with these ultra small craft breweries - Dennison's, Church Key, Grand River - only making their beer available to select LCBO's near them (I do not know if this will be the case with Dennison's, but it is for the other two). It makes sense.

But come on Len, whether you get the beer or not, how can you say you are not excited about Dennison's being available in cans? This is perhaps the most highly regarded Ontario Craft Brew and it is finally available for take home consumption! This is a big step for one of Canada's most talented brewers, as a fan of great beer in this Province, I am very excited.
As a fellow lover of Ontario beer and as a fellow ticker, I'm not sure how you cannot understand the fascination with wanting to have access to as many beers as possible. That is part of the excitement of the hunt for good beer.

I've already said it is a great thing that this beer will be available. I most certainly am excited, and I hope it makes the way to my area, but until it does, I am not going to go gaga over it. That being said, I could always just transfer some to my store for myself, so I guess in that aspect I will have access to it no matter what?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

cannondale wrote:Fantastic news!

I thought Denison's was set on 500 mL bottles?
Michael covers that on his web page.
lister