Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brewdog Nanny State

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

A
Bar Fly

Brewdog Nanny State

Post by A »

Maybe we can get some of this in a follow-on Brewdog order:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 278312.stm

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I typically wouldn't want a 1.1% beer, however, I love the idea of this so much that I'd buy it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

it sounds awesome to me and id pay $$$ for this low gravity beer. brewdog surely dont care about pleasing anyone but themselves.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

'm up for it, and for other brewdogs

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

matt7215 wrote:brewdog surely dont care about pleasing anyone but themselves.
and the people worth pleasing :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I love the outright political slant of the derogatory name Nanny State.

Remind you guys of anyplace? ;)
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I do believe we saw an earlier article about Scotland looking at the LCBO model for inspiration, poor bastards
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:I do believe we saw an earlier article about Scotland looking at the LCBO model for inspiration, poor bastards
Well every time I drive to Buffalo, and I witness the gang-bangs and public orgies and mass-murders in the Wegman's parking lot, I am SO glad we do not have America's easy access to good beer. Who knows how many rapes and murders we'd all commit if we drank De Dolle and Avery beers whenever we felt like a good beer?? :o

(Of course the LCBO knows exactly how many and we have to just trust them.)
In Beerum Veritas

$

Post by $ »

Belgian wrote: every time I drive to Buffalo, and I witness the gang-bangs and public orgies[/i]
That's why I go to Buffalo!!!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ohh we're all so hard done by. I think I might move to The Congo for a better chance at life.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Ohh we're all so hard done by. I think I might move to The Congo for a better chance at life.
Obviously freedom in alcohol sales isn't the biggest issue in our lives, but that isn't really the point. Given how good we do have it here, I think the government infringing on our freedoms is a big political issue and alcohol sales in Ontario is one area that there isn't enough freedom. I'm glad that I live in a place that I can worry about the government operating a ridiculous liquor monopoly (instead of worrying about famine or war), but that doesn't mean I shouldn't worry about making Ontario better.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Ohh we're all so hard done by. I think I might move to The Congo for a better chance at life.
Obviously freedom in alcohol sales isn't the biggest issue in our lives, but that isn't really the point. Given how good we do have it here, I think the government infringing on our freedoms is a big political issue and alcohol sales in Ontario is one area that there isn't enough freedom. I'm glad that I live in a place that I can worry about the government operating a ridiculous liquor monopoly (instead of worrying about famine or war), but that doesn't mean I shouldn't worry about making Ontario better.
Yeah, I was actually just trying to be funny. But I guess you're right.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Belgian wrote:
icemachine wrote:I do believe we saw an earlier article about Scotland looking at the LCBO model for inspiration, poor bastards
Well every time I drive to Buffalo, and I witness the gang-bangs and public orgies and mass-murders in the Wegman's parking lot, I am SO glad we do not have America's easy access to good beer. Who knows how many rapes and murders we'd all commit if we drank De Dolle and Avery beers whenever we felt like a good beer?? :o

(Of course the LCBO knows exactly how many and we have to just trust them.)
I am in my 30's and I think it is funny that every time I drive down to NY or Vermont and buy beer in one of the major grocery store chains not only go I get carded but my birthdate info gets typed into the computer and printed on my receipt. I have lived in Ontario for about 7 years know and I can probably count on my hands the amount of times I have been carded at the LCBO.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Kel Varnsen wrote: I am in my 30's and I think it is funny that every time I drive down to NY or Vermont and buy beer in one of the major grocery store chains not only go I get carded but my birthdate info gets typed into the computer and printed on my receipt. I have lived in Ontario for about 7 years know and I can probably count on my hands the amount of times I have been carded at the LCBO.
The idea that the LCBO helps protect minors getting alcohol is silly, yet I do hear this argument for LCBO supporters. We already trust bars/restaurants and The Beer Store to ID people for alcohol in this province (plus many store clerks for tobacco/lottery), so clearly people that aren't in the LCBO union are capable.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

It's funny, when I was in highschool we went to the LCBO because we were less likely to be carded than at the BS. So I drank 40s of vodka instead of 24s of Blue, gooooo LCBO!!!