Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Oktoberfest events?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

RyanWright

Oktoberfest events?

Post by RyanWright »

Hello everyone, after going to Oktoberfest in Munich last fall, I have an itch to go to an Oktoberfest outing this fall in the gta. I know there is one in Ottawa by Beaus that looks good, but its too far from Toronto. I used to go to the Kitchener Oktoberfests during my University days to see George Kash's band, but now its a Molson Oktoberfest. Does anyone from Kitchener know if they serve Creemore at the Kitchener Oktoberfest now...as I'm not sold that its worth the drive to Kitchener. Any feedback by Bartowellers that went over the last few years would be helpful. I have been to the Granite Oktoberfest night a few times in years past, but I don't think they are doing it tis year. If anyone knows of a good local Oktoberfest event in the gta, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

Queef

Post by Queef »

I'm going to the Beau's one and drinking the Märzen all day. Toronto isn't that far from here (ottawa), why is it far the other way?
it's beer o'clock.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

Queef wrote:why is it far the other way?
pull of gravity is strong when leaving centre of universe :wink:

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I'm going to the Beau's one as well. Looking forward to it!! And also happy there is a bus so I can have a few!

Queef

Post by Queef »

maple99 wrote:
Queef wrote:why is it far the other way?
pull of gravity is strong when leaving centre of universe :wink:
bravo, well played.
it's beer o'clock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Just an aside, there's some kind of Oktoberfest dinner going on at Feathers on the 6th. Nothing spectacular, just Okanagan-braised Bratwürst with all the Bavarian trimmings.

K-W Molson "Oktoberfest' is, well, need we really say. Yet I always wanted to do that one.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

RyanWright wrote:. I used to go to the Kitchener Oktoberfests during my University days to see George Kash's band, but now its a Molson Oktoberfest. Does anyone from Kitchener know if they serve Creemore at the Kitchener Oktoberfest now...as I'm not sold that its worth the drive to Kitchener. .
Bypass it, there is nothing but Molsons at any fest hall, not even Brick is allowed or they loose their city franchise as a fest hall. I used to tough it out at the Castle but with that gone I'll probably spend another Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth MI. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

pootz wrote:
RyanWright wrote:. I used to go to the Kitchener Oktoberfests during my University days to see George Kash's band, but now its a Molson Oktoberfest. Does anyone from Kitchener know if they serve Creemore at the Kitchener Oktoberfest now...as I'm not sold that its worth the drive to Kitchener. .
Bypass it, there is nothing but Molsons at any fest hall, not even Brick is allowed or they loose their city franchise as a fest hall. I used to tough it out at the Castle but with that gone I'll probably spend another Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth MI. :wink:
The Kick Off in University Plaza has Mill St. Marzen on tap right now, for what it's worth. About as close as one in going to get to real Oktoberfest beers around here at the moment unfortunately :cry: .

I was thinking today, people recognize and respect that there's a specific type of sausage for Oktoberfest, yet mention a special beer and no one has the faintest clue such a thing could exist. It's just frustrating and probably won't ever change. :evil:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It's depressing that K/W is so proud of their academic and tech industries, promote them so well and benefit from them while they squander their great brewers.
The tax paying breweries in the region should hammer the local economic development people to turn Oktoberfest into a true regional marketing bonanza.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Check out Greg's post in the events section for Cole's (Buffalo) Oktoberfest event on the 17th - it certainly seems more promising than what we have around here!

In KW, it is not much at all, but Blue Moon in Petersburg (which I was pleased to discover is a 10 minute drive from my house in Waterloo) has Hacker-Pschorr on tap and seems to be running quite a few Oktoberfest events (dinners and such). Food is good out there and the tiny little back bar room has a pretty cool atmosphere and an entertaining group of older locals.

Off topic, but the Stone Hammer Dark there was in terrific shape last Friday as well