Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Star article re American craft beer in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Star article re American craft beer in Ontario

Post by sstackho »

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It was a hell of a fun night and an honour to be invited by the Brewers Association.

Nice work Josh in getting out the word about US craft beers and the quality of the brews.

Unfortunately there's a lot more working against us besides labeling. Pricing and buying policies, strange grandfathered regulations around kegs, submitting seasonal beers a year in advance, freight costs and the LCBO's supreme authority as to what goes on the shelves, no name a few, are all barriers.

I applaud the Brewers Association for having the right attitude and hosting the dinner, and I certainly applaud the beer guys from the LCBO in attending as well. Every little bit helps but we've got a long way to go.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

They forgot to mention the high security piece of tape!!! LOL

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There typos in a the article.

B'gpsh Josh! Check your copy mate.

But to cry 'conspiracy' for a minute, it really does look like LCBO's prohibitive policies are aimed squarely at keeping out a lot of Craft Beer products - and THIS could be seen as self interest, facilitating the LC in making sweetheart deals with certain major producers, for whom our Province would be seeking to eliminate most competition.
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:There typos in a the article.

Shameless pedantry. Remarkable.
Belgian wrote:But to cry 'conspiracy' for a minute, it really does look like LCBO's prohibitive policies are aimed squarely at keeping out a lot of Craft Beer products - and THIS could be seen as self interest, facilitating the LC in making sweetheart deals with certain major producers, for whom our Province would be seeking to eliminate most competition.
Stop the press! We have breaking news coming in...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cannondale wrote:
Belgian wrote:There typos in a the article.

Shameless pedantry. Remarkable.
Belgian wrote:But to cry 'conspiracy' for a minute, it really does look like LCBO's prohibitive policies are aimed squarely at keeping out a lot of Craft Beer products - and THIS could be seen as self interest, facilitating the LC in making sweetheart deals with certain major producers, for whom our Province would be seeking to eliminate most competition.
Stop the press! We have breaking news coming in...
You're the first one to make these types of comments on Bartowel.com. Way to lead the way!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You guys are really funny.

Sometimes you really do need to meet people in person to figure out what the hell they are about. Except Frankie D'Angelo. I know enough about him already.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:You guys are really funny.

Sometimes you really do need to meet people in person to figure out what the hell they are about. Except Frankie D'Angelo. I know enough about him already.

I was trying to be funny!!! Man, my sense of humour is ABSOLUTELY not appreciated round these parts!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!