Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beer Carriers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Mill street brewpub sells these black reusable foldable 6-packs that I bring everywhere with me now. You can see them in their website, top-left in the picture, second shelf from the top:

http://www.millstreetbrewpub.ca/content/retail-store

Wish I would have bought more for presents...

Anyways, they are perfect for LCBO shopping.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm sure that sturdy ABS plastic crates would catch on, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere here.

Having these would shift the responsibility onto the consumer to actually use crates. But the least the LCBO could do is offer crates for sale at stores (for 8 or 12 or 24 bottles.) These crates are totally secure, have a real 'green appeal' and will last virtually forever.

I almost get the feeling the LCBO wants to marginalize or ignore the sales of single-unit beer as much as they can get away with, politically for their own convenience. While they wish to appear "socially responsible" not pushing you to drink more, there are still so many products that have to be bought in 6 or 12 pack format, and this "multi-bottle unit" is to make their store-keeping a lot simpler, not to help you drink responsibly. They are forcing you to buy multiple units, hence they appear "socially irresponsible" by their own dogmas of stated purpose.
In Beerum Veritas

Queef

Post by Queef »

support local initiatives and use these.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=28916326
it's beer o'clock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah it's similar to the LCBO canvas ones - cheaper!
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Queef wrote:support local initiatives and use these.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=28916326
I believe those will be available at the Homebrew event at Amsterdam
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Belgian wrote:I almost get the feeling the LCBO wants to marginalize or ignore the sales of single-unit beer as much as they can get away with, politically for their own convenience.
Where are you getting that idea? Have another look at the selection criteria for all the upcoming beer releases from the LCBO. You'll notice that one phrase occurs more than any other: Single serving format preferred.
Here's to the slow path.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
Belgian wrote:I almost get the feeling the LCBO wants to marginalize or ignore the sales of single-unit beer as much as they can get away with, politically for their own convenience.
Where are you getting that idea? Have another look at the selection criteria for all the upcoming beer releases from the LCBO. You'll notice that one phrase occurs more than any other: Single serving format preferred.
I know. I still think they do control and limit the 'single size format' seasonals. How, you ask? They seem to like a very limited shelf allocation. They often order tiny quantities. They dilute the releases with questionable choices, and handle release dates with extreme imprecision so that beers straggle in well out of season. It just seems to me like it's a big chore for them & they just want these pesky seasonals here and gone without attracting too much attention. Why? So that really excellent, popular beers don't bring too much trouble for them - namely, if people got used to a lot of world-class beers, the LC would no longer be able to just have their tiny seasonals section while they keep the rest of the beer area bulked out with swill. The beer shelves would start to look more as they do in the USA. They'd lose control.

Naturally maintaining their Status Quo requires some controlling behavior, some subterfuge, and to this end they seem to do everything in their power to stymie the success of good beer. And here's the fun part: they can't really stop it.
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Belgian wrote:
Wheatsheaf wrote:
I know. I still think they do control and limit the 'single size format' seasonals. How, you ask? They seem to like a very limited shelf allocation. They often order tiny quantities. They dilute the releases with questionable choices, and handle release dates with extreme imprecision so that beers straggle in well out of season. It just seems to me like it's a big chore for them & they just want these pesky seasonals here and gone without attracting too much attention. Why? So that really excellent, popular beers don't bring too much trouble for them - namely, if people got used to a lot of world-class beers, the LC would no longer be able to just have their tiny seasonals section while they keep the rest of the beer area bulked out with swill. The beer shelves would start to look more as they do in the USA. They'd lose control.

Naturally maintaining their Status Quo requires some controlling behavior, some subterfuge, and to this end they seem to do everything in their power to stymie the success of good beer. And here's the fun part: they can't really stop it.
I call bullshit!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

viggo wrote:
I call bullshit!
And I really, really care, LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't really see why they would do away with these when the prefer beers in a single serving format. I think it is a supplier problem and they will be back shortly.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't really see why they would do away with these when the prefer beers in a single serving format. I think it is a supplier problem and they will be back shortly.
Hopefully they come up with something stronger as I have a had couple carriers have the handles rip out, once with traumatic results.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't really see why they would do away with these when the prefer beers in a single serving format. I think it is a supplier problem and they will be back shortly.
Hopefully they come up with something stronger as I have a had couple carriers have the handles rip out, once with traumatic results.
If that happens, make sure you return all broken product to the store for a refund or replacement please.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
icemachine wrote:
If that happens, make sure you return all broken product to the store for a refund or replacement please.
I did, but its still makes me sad to see this

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/I ... C00372.jpg

carguy

Post by carguy »

Interesting that they are discouraging the sale of single serving formats. Of course, in typical LCBO mixed messages, the ST Porter, which I purchaced a six pack of a few weeks ago, is now avaliable ONLY as single bottles, not a six pack in sight. And of course now nothing to put them in, other than the empty flats of cans that are laying all around the beer section now, making it look very messy.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Dont they come in cases of 24, with 4 x 6-packs? If so that would mean they chuck the carboard before they put it on the shelf.

At american beer stores I go to, they keep these cases for customers to "make their own 6-pack".