Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO customer service at its finest

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

LCBO customer service at its finest

Post by matt7215 »

This happened last night @ store #95 in Cambridge ON

Customer in line in-front of me (cu)
LCBO employee (lc)
Me

cu : "I want to buy a gift card for my brother, but he lives in BC. Will an LCBO gift card work there?"

lc : "Yeah, it will"

cu: "OK, I'll take a $50 gift card then"

me: "Wait!"

cu: "Why?"

me: "Dont buy that gift card"

cu: "Why?"

me: "Because an LCBO gift card wont work in BC. The LCBO is run by the Ontario government, LCBO gift cards arent gonna work outside of Ontario because there are no LCBO's outside of Ontario"

lc: "I was in BC this summer and they have LCBO's"

me: "uh, they have government run liquor stores there but they're not LCBO's"

cu: "OK, I'll pass on the gift card" (walks away)

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

matt7215 wrote: lc: "I was in BC this summer and they have LCBO's"
That's 16,000 different kinds of awesome. First time I read through I thought it was the customer that said it. Which, while ignorant, isn't necessarily surprising. But the LCBO employee saying it is just, well, wow.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

clap.......clap........clap.......well done sir.

In stark contrast, I was at store 467 in St. Catharines about two weeks ago to pick up some ST IPA and Anchor Liberty Ale. When I got to the check out I asked if they ever thought of carrying Flying Monkies Hoptical Illusion. The woman replied she never heard of it, but would pass the request to the "beer guy". About one week later it was in stock.

So of course I raced over to grab some while they lasted. A different clerk told me that they had only received one case, so it might be on hold for some one (fair enough), but if not asked how many I would like. I could hear her in the back speaking with someone else and it quickly became apparent to me that it was the same employee I had made the request too. I heard her say "Its probably the same guy from last week" Sure enough it was the same young woman and as she opened another check out yelled "YEAH! Its him! Just bring it out!" and I happily walked out with 2 six packs.

I left the other 2 for other patrons. However, if no one buys them by Friday they are coming home with me :D

So the moral of the story, not every LCBO employee is a douche.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Maybe buddy thought the LCBO had a mail order service.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

dutchcanuck wrote:

There might be one or two of us that actually care, heheh.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:

Len you need to transfer to Cambridge, I think the product consultant @ 95 just left...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:

Len you need to transfer to Cambridge, I think the product consultant @ 95 just left...

I've already applied!! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

I've already applied!! :)
thats sweeter then samichlaus! hope you get it :D

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

dutchcanuck wrote:clap.......clap........clap.......well done sir.

In stark contrast, I was at store 467 in St. Catharines about two weeks ago to pick up some ST IPA and Anchor Liberty Ale. When I got to the check out I asked if they ever thought of carrying Flying Monkies Hoptical Illusion. The woman replied she never heard of it, but would pass the request to the "beer guy". About one week later it was in stock.

So of course I raced over to grab some while they lasted. A different clerk told me that they had only received one case, so it might be on hold for some one (fair enough), but if not asked how many I would like. I could hear her in the back speaking with someone else and it quickly became apparent to me that it was the same employee I had made the request too. I heard her say "Its probably the same guy from last week" Sure enough it was the same young woman and as she opened another check out yelled "YEAH! Its him! Just bring it out!" and I happily walked out with 2 six packs.

I left the other 2 for other patrons. However, if no one buys them by Friday they are coming home with me :D

At least they brought it in for you. In Windsor I asked if they were going to get Peche Mortel and was told no, but they could ship it in from another store if I wanted to pay the shipping costs. When I said no thanks, they told me I should try Guiness if I like dark beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Raisy wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:clap.......clap........clap.......well done sir.

At least they brought it in for you. In Windsor I asked if they were going to get Peche Mortel and was told no, but they could ship it in from another store if I wanted to pay the shipping costs. When I said no thanks, they told me I should try Guiness if I like dark beer.
That doesn't even make sense. The employee there is really just lying to you. There's no option for us to charge a customer for shipping costs. It is a decision made by an employee based on discretion.
So if you wanted 6 bottles of Mortel shipped from let's say, Chatham to Windsor, well you wouldn't get it. Based on the cost of the bottles at about $24.00, and the shipping for that would be around $30.00+, the LCBO would take a loss to ship.
But if you ordered 16-20 bottles, well then that would make it worth while to ship.
It is really based on common sense. And we can't charge you for the shipping, so tell whoever that is to smarten up.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This is just pure gold haha.

I guess I'm lucky that I've largely had only positive experiences with the lickbo employee's in my area. The ones at the store nearest me tend to be pretty unfriendly, but never incompetent or uncooperative. The ones at the store I most frequent recognize me and are quite friendly and helpful.

What did the cashier say after the customer said they'd rather not buy it? Just wondering.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Matt7215 probably ran into a seasonal employee. In my area you travel around the stores to get what you want and I have never had a problem. Many are quite knowledgable and even chatty. I have never had one say, as they do at the big box stores, "If we had any they would be over there"!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

@ jessem, she just rang me through as if the whole thing never happened, she was very polite about the whole thing, just very confused

@ ukie, the employee wasnt seasonal, she was a gold tagger

i would like to add that at no point have i had rude/poor service from this store, but i thought id share this expeirience

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That's funny!

I actually grew up a couple blocks from that store... though it wasn't there at the time!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

That is pure comedy gold. I'd have reported her piss poor customer service to her manager. Not that it would have achieved anything other than filling me with a sense of smug self-satisfaction.
dutchcanuck wrote: So the moral of the story, not every LCBO employee is a douche.
It's too bad the 99% that are douches ruin it for the slightly tolerable employees.