Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Boycotting the LCBO-BS 2010

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

$

Boycotting the LCBO-BS 2010

Post by $ »

Yes, I'm going to almost avoid the LCBO-BS all next year. Well, maybe every couple of months to get a few seasonals.

So join me - or go finish your Miller Genuine Draft Light!

Here's the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 2076330783

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

I might reconsider this if I were you...

The argument could easily be made that you'd have a greater chance of accomplishing whatever it is you're trying to by actual going to the LCBO and buying up all of their good offerings and all the good seasonal products (especially those that haven't or don't seem to be selling so well). In this way, you're supporting the importation of quality beers, you're supporting the agencies that import them, you're supporting the LCBO's efforts to (at least, seasonally) bring in the more esteemed and niche products and you're making it quite clear (nothing speaks louder than the almighty buck) that there is a market in Ontario for innovative and artisan products.

I am a strong believer that one person can make a difference so I support (and sympathize) with your quest. Again though, I think there is a much more effective way to go about it. Besides, what are you going to do with all your empties? :o

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

What a great idea! I'm so there!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

$

Post by $ »

"Besides, what are you going to do with all your empties?"

oh I always take my empties to the BS...anything that resembles a beer bottle goes...

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

$ wrote:"Besides, what are you going to do with all your empties?"

oh I always take my empties to the BS...anything that resembles a beer bottle goes...
The irony there is that the Beer Store (technically) makes no money on the sale of beer - they are "officially" a not-for-profit distribution center. The ODR (Ontario Deposit Return Program), on the other hand, is the Beer Store's survival tactic. If they persist as an entity it will inevitably be on the recycling front. They've successfully reinvented themselves to the Ontario government, and much of the public, as a "socially and environmentally responsible company". (As a former employee I can also tell you first hand that this ODR program may be the only reason they're still around today and you're not seeing cans of Bud on the supermarket shelf!)

Not to be such a pest $, but again I'd rethink your logic. Returning your empties may be supporting TBS a lot more than buying your case of Mill Street or Magnotta there.

$

Post by $ »

biegaman wrote: Not to be such a pest $, but again I'd rethink your logic. Returning your empties may be supporting TBS a lot more than buying your case of Mill Street or Magnotta there.
so if nobody bought beer at the beer store, they'd still be around giving me 10 cents for my empties - but no longer selling beer...?
Sounds good to me.
The argument could easily be made that you'd have a greater chance of accomplishing whatever it is you're trying to by actual going to the LCBO and buying up all of their good offerings and all the good seasonal products
I think you missed the part about boycotting because #1, I want private liquor sales.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wait, I work there. I don't think this will be possible. What was I thinking?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

$

Post by $ »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Wait, I work there. I don't think this will be possible. What was I thinking?
You were thinking correctly! You can be the inside informant...

Just buy less from them and more from other sources. Easy to do.

Just think, one day, maybe maybe maybe you could own your own store...and hire the old lcbo managers to be your causal working no benefits workers

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

$ wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Wait, I work there. I don't think this will be possible. What was I thinking?
You were thinking correctly! You can be the inside informant...

Just buy less from them and more from other sources. Easy to do.

Just think, one day, maybe maybe maybe you could own your own store...and hire the old lcbo managers to be your causal working no benefits workers

Ha! They'd rue the day they chose to cut my hours back!

cirrosis

Post by cirrosis »

the other option is to send the Beer Store an email stating why you think they "suck", they are listening and want input as to how they can improve their business.
if you need me i'll be in the fifth circle of hell

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It's a pointless exercise to "ban" either the LCBO or the BS for any duration of time. Neither corp will be affected by the absence of a small minority of customers and really nothing quantifiable will be achieved beyond denying yourself some decent beer.

The goal here is to implement change by working WITH the system that exists not working AGAINST it. Unless you can organize a group that would impact more than 10% of gross sales you really don't have the power to affect anything. It's like the pointless movement to not fill up with gas on a certain date to show big oil companies we don't like high prices...how effective was that?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

cirrosis wrote:the other option is to send the Beer Store an email stating why you think they "suck", they are listening and want input as to how they can improve their business.
They can improve their business if stopped being a government mandated private monopoly. Getting TBS or LCBO to improve their businesses is just a band-aide solution. The root cause of the problem is the complete government control of our alcohol sales/distribution. No matter how good an LCBO seasonal release may be, we are still going to hope that the next seasonal release will have some of the beer we want.

It is ridiculous that people have to say we have to support products like ST Creme Brulee so that the LCBO may bring more ST stouts in the future. Clearly this is true that if Creme Brulee sells a lot, maybe we'll get Jahva next year, but it shouldn't have to be that difficult. We shouldn't have to accept this crap. If we had private stores that aren't controlled by a giant bureaucracy, they could respond rapidly to consumer demand.

Yes we can go to the US or Quebec to get beers many of the beers we want, but why does it have to be so difficult? There is no other product in my life that is so difficult to purchase just because I live in Ontario.

$

Post by $ »

Jon Walker wrote:It's a pointless exercise to "ban" either the LCBO or the BS for any duration of time.
Not at all, I will quite enjoy it.
Neither corp will be affected by the absence of a small minority of customers and really nothing quantifiable will be achieved beyond denying yourself some decent beer.
Well, then they have nothing to fear. As for decent beer, you know I can get it elsewhere.

The goal here is to implement change by working WITH the system that exists not working AGAINST it.
The system is the problem.

Unless you can organize a group that would impact more than 10% of gross sales
Right, that's why I've started it up. It has to start somewhere.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Can't we just spread viral anti-propaganda?
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Belgian wrote:Can't we just spread viral anti-propaganda?
Yeah! Let's give 'em all H1N1 !!!
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman