Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

32% abv beer offered by BrewDog

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

32% abv beer offered by BrewDog

Post by pootz »

The more I see of these BrewDog guys the more I like them. Raging politically incorrect and fully right in big nanny's face. Young guys making it in the brew game and playing by their rules....good on 'em

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 380412.stm
A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance
Tactical Nuclear Penguin label warning

He said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries, it is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level."

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures".

A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost."

However Jack Law, of Alcohol Focus Scotland, described it was a "cynical marketing ploy" and said: "We want to know why a brewer would produce a beer almost as strong as whisky."

The beer has been launched on the day alcohol was at the top of the political agenda with the unveiling of the Scottish government's Alcohol Bill including proposals for minimum pricing on drink.

Meanwhile, BrewDog's plans for a new headquarters to produce millions of bottles of beer a year have been approved by Aberdeenshire Council.

The decision was taken at a full council meeting despite having been recommended for refusal by officers because the site at Potterton, near Aberdeen, is in the green belt.
The price obviously reflects the cost of production. If this is a stronger version of their 18% Tokyo, it is an all malt brew made with a super concentrated wort (triple or quadruple grain bill) and a super attenuating yeast, long ferment/conditioning cycle and buckets of whole cone hops in the aging tanks. I wish I could get one just to say I lived through a bottle in one sitting
:lol:
Last edited by pootz on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I like their attitude and approach. Their beers are interesting and passable, but not outstanding.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i appreciate the insight, pootz!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

pootz wrote:The more I see of these BrewDog guys the more I like them. Raging politically incorrect and fully right in big nanny's face. Young guys making it in the brew game and playing by their rules....good on 'em

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 380412.stm
A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance
Tactical Nuclear Penguin label warning

He said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries, it is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level."

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures".

A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost."

However Jack Law, of Alcohol Focus Scotland, described it was a "cynical marketing ploy" and said: "We want to know why a brewer would produce a beer almost as strong as whisky."

The beer has been launched on the day alcohol was at the top of the political agenda with the unveiling of the Scottish government's Alcohol Bill including proposals for minimum pricing on drink.

Meanwhile, BrewDog's plans for a new headquarters to produce millions of bottles of beer a year have been approved by Aberdeenshire Council.

The decision was taken at a full council meeting despite having been recommended for refusal by officers because the site at Potterton, near Aberdeen, is in the green belt.
The price obviously reflects the cost of production. If this is a srtonger version of their 18% Tokyo, it is an all malt brew made with a super concentrated wort (tripple or quadriple grain bill) and a super attenuating yeast, long ferment/conditioning cyclem and buckets og whole cone hops in the aging tanks. I wish I could get one just to say I lived through a bottle in one sitting
:lol:
It's actually a 10 or 11% imperial stout that they froze and concentrated.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Carole MacNeil just did a brief story about this beer on the CBC News Network. It is probably a good thing that beer got a mention in the mainstream media, but they are treating it like a big joke. I'm sure tomorrow some of my friends will be asking me questions about BrewDog. :)

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

"We want to know why a brewer would produce a beer almost as strong as whisky."

Because they want to. Last I checked Scotland was a free nation and its citizens can do as they please within reason. Goddamn nanny states.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

viggo wrote:
An eisenstout ...way cool 8)
Aventinus rules!

Chris

Post by Chris »

I'd love to try it....interesting video from these guys:
http://www.vimeo.com/7812379

bartle

Post by bartle »

This is a rad concept. This could be one of those wild mythical beers that people will go a little insane to capture and cellar for their whole lives.

Ice cream stout?
at 32%... :o
enjoi

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'm willing to try (and usually do) everything once. I say good on them!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Flood

Post by Flood »

I'd love to try this as well... Should be interesting.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

viggo wrote:
i'd dare say there was probably some use of enzymes...

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

tuqueboy wrote:
viggo wrote:
It is hard to brew without enzymes.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

viggo wrote:
tuqueboy wrote:
viggo wrote:
smartass. you know what i mean.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

tuqueboy wrote:
viggo wrote:
tuqueboy wrote: i'd dare say there was probably some use of enzymes...
smartass. you know what i mean.
Haha! Actually I'm not too sure what you're getting at!