Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ola Dubh 40 in the T-dot?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

viggo wrote:I agree with Jer here. You can't just sell your beer to a distributor here and have them to the legwork after that. If a brewery in Toronto wants London to get their beer, I believe the only option is to deliver it themselves.
Nope. It's just not tradition here. I can only attribute it to that. Amsterdam sells and delivers their beer outside of GTA through Premier. It is more likely that both parties (crafts and Premium/Premier/etc) have not been able to see where the margin is going to come from. TBS does it for some at big cost. It's just the way it has evolved here.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Gedge wrote:I understand your pain, but bitching about the LCBO not bringing an expensive/limited beer to Barrie is like bitching about U2 not playing Timmins. :wink:
Do you think that U2 drinks Ola Dubh?? :P

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

probstk wrote:
Do you think that U2 drinks Ola Dubh?? :P
They probably own Harviestoun via some offshore tax shelter.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:
viggo wrote:I agree with Jer here. You can't just sell your beer to a distributor here and have them to the legwork after that. If a brewery in Toronto wants London to get their beer, I believe the only option is to deliver it themselves.
Nope. It's just not tradition here. I can only attribute it to that. Amsterdam sells and delivers their beer outside of GTA through Premier. It is more likely that both parties (crafts and Premium/Premier/etc) have not been able to see where the margin is going to come from. TBS does it for some at big cost. It's just the way it has evolved here.
And to counter what Steel says, it makes no point to drink less of a micro simply because they limit their distribution. There is no "tit for tat" in this equation. The Brewery is doing what it can, where it can. We should appreciate that!

And I won't go into my 'local beer is traditional' thing, you've all heard it. Not everyone in Canada is my Uncle living in Bavaria, who when buying bottled products prefers locally-made beer as a traditional, and sensible, option. We also don't have the incredible number of local brewpubs that Germany used to have. Micros here are stuck in the middle!
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:
And to counter what Steel says, it makes no point to drink less of a micro simply because they limit their distribution. There is no "tit for tat" in this equation. The Brewery is doing what it can, where it can. We should appreciate that!
That makes sense. I really should clarify that I don't stop buying from a brewery altogether. But often a brewery becomes second fiddle if you know what I mean. I look at London as an under serviced (though things are picking up thanks to Milos) area and I feel a lot of breweries could penetrate this market if they so chose. I buy more stuff at the LCBO from the breweries that are present in our bars. I don't own a brewery and know almost nothing about marketing of course, so my opinion is mostly rubbish, but it is still mine.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

All this twaddle aside I really do look forward to the 40! I hope we can all score a few, or help our friends get ahold of at least a bottle. Cheers.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Had a chance to taste a sample of both 12 and 40 yesterday. Both are excellent beers, and the differences between the two are subtler than I expected. The most striking difference is in the aroma - in terms of flavour, they're really in the same ballpark.

According to Bill, the "beer guy" at LCBO Queen's Quay, he's had a lot of requests to reserve bottles of the 40. He anticipates that given the limited quantity available, it will barely make it to the shelves. So those interested may want to contact one of the stores in the lists earlier in the thread to see if they'll hold a bottle or two.
Last edited by GregClow on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

just tried to reserve the ola dubh 40 but i was told that since it's no showing in inventory yet, that he can't hold any.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote: According to Bill, the "beer guy" at LCBO Queen's Quay, he's had a lot of requests to reserve bottles of the 40.
I imagine some establishments can justify re-selling for 60-75 dollars a bottle. Thanks for the heads-up Greg as this is exactly what I was wondering, if it just became an 'insider deal' and the consumer never sees it (360 bottles for the whole of Ontario is pretty scarce...)
Sanchex wrote:just tried to reserve the ola dubh 40 but i was told that since it's no showing in inventory yet, that he can't hold any.
Well if Bill can hold it, can't others? What store you call?

Luckily many locations listed are wandering distance from my work. Not everyone is so fortunate...
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Had a chance to taste a sample of both 12 and 40 yesterday. Both are excellent beers, and the differences between the two are subtler than I expected. The most striking difference is in the aroma - in terms of flavour, they're really in the same ballpark.
I wish the LCBO wouldn't allow reserving for such a limited supply. Based on your description I'm not going to try too hard to procure a bottle of the 40. If I can great, if I can't I'll be content with the 12 particularly given the price difference.
lister

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

Belgian wrote:
I call Queen's Quay store but no Bill.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sanchex wrote:
Belgian wrote:
I call Queen's Quay store but no Bill.
Given the fractured communication throughout the system, you might want to stroll in & talk to whoever the 'beer guy' is & ask to get on that list.

But to contradict my own statement, I still agree with Lister that perhaps an order this size should all HAVE to go through the inventory system, rather than be held off for a few people on special pre-release lists. This ain't no "Bordeaux Futures" program (and even those are clearly open to the public at large with no special favors.)
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Found Ola 12 at Summerhill today. One of the employees saw me looking at it and told me to "get it while I could" as they only got a couple of cases. What was on the shelf was all they had, so she told me.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Cass wrote:Found Ola 12 at Summerhill today. One of the employees saw me looking at it and told me to "get it while I could" as they only got a couple of cases. What was on the shelf was all they had, so she told me.
We must have passed like ships in the night.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

So? How is it? Any tasting notes?