Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quiz Night

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Quiz Night

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Some years ago I attended these in English pubs and found them enjoyable and stimulating.

Who in Metro does this, if anyone?

Gary
Gary Gillman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Some years ago I attended these in English pubs and found them enjoyable and stimulating.

Who in Metro does this, if anyone?

Gary
There were some in Hamilton that I quite enjoyed a few years ago.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Used to have them at the library back home

I've always liked the NTN trivia in bars - shame nobody I know will compete with me.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote:Used to have them at the library back home

I've always liked the NTN trivia in bars - shame nobody I know will compete with me.

Time to man up! I'd be glad to!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

There is a (monthly or every second month...not sure) quiz night at Magpie. It always seems to be on a Thurs., and starts around 8. Four rounds, varied categories, always lots of fun, and last time, we came in last place (which netted us a prize of a shot each of the bartenders choosing - CC and tabasco, mmmmm...)! There is a 10 dollar buy in per team, and the winner takes the pot. Not sure any more details - pretty sure the Magpie has a Facebook page - you may find more info there...

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks for that, I'll check further into the Magpie's version.

I recall attending one in London, a friend there brought me to his local. They had a series based on different themes: literature, history, sports, music and so forth. There was a small fee to pay and the prizes were modest - flavoured chips (crisps) and similar fare - but it was fun and some of the questions challenging.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Yo, in London The Grad Club at University Western has a quiz night and it's pretty intense. 3 rounds, covering arts, literature, mathematics, philosophy... pretty much every subject. It's quite a challange, and a hell of a good time. However, I attended the event in the summer, I don't know if they still run it now.

And their tap list isn't bad. Mill St, Unibroue, Wellington, Leffe, etc, probably 12 taps or more in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Guybrush wrote:Yo, in London The Grad Club at University Western has a quiz night and it's pretty intense. 3 rounds, covering arts, literature, mathematics, philosophy... pretty much every subject. It's quite a challange, and a hell of a good time. However, I attended the event in the summer, I don't know if they still run it now.

And their tap list isn't bad. Mill St, Unibroue, Wellington, Leffe, etc, probably 12 taps or more in total.
Yes and they have the Big Rock Cider and Barking Squirrell now as well.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Cider, you say?

How is it?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Cider, you say?

How is it?
I really wasn't expecting much, but it was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Not earth shattering of course, but better than average for sure.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I love a good pint of cider now and then. I don't pretend to know good from bad though.

I know that of whats available at the LCBO, I've enjoyed Bulmers, Stowford Press, Waupoos, and Magners. I don't care for Strongbow on it's own, but it's fine for mixing a Snakebite. I really don't like Cracked or Blackthorn.

Would love to see Harpoon Cider in Ontario someday.

Not cider, but I'll pick up a can of Sir Perry now and then. That Rekorderlig stuff, the berry flavoured cider from Sweden, is awful. That artificially flavoured chemical mess of an alcopop is a waste of what little fruit went into making it.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

velovampire wrote: last time, we came in last place (which netted us a prize of a shot each of the bartenders choosing - CC and tabasco, mmmmm...)!
Shudder. You should have made a deal - he leaves out the tabasco, and you leave out the vomiting in the bar part.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JerCraigs wrote:
velovampire wrote: last time, we came in last place (which netted us a prize of a shot each of the bartenders choosing - CC and tabasco, mmmmm...)!
Shudder. You should have made a deal - he leaves out the tabasco, and you leave out the vomiting in the bar part.
Yes, it was truly vile. Next time I'll decline the "prize".

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

if you don't want the prize, don't play the game. :lol:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I think it's great to see the non-NTN efforts that some locals put together. I really can't give a rats ass about pro sports or other fluff cake pop culture celebrities that NTN spends too much time on, so all the trivia about who's shoe size is bigger than their score in 1974 is pretty much lost on me.

The quiz games get real interesting when the organizers actually dig into history, geography, or more socially challenging questions.

Maybe we should try and convince a beer forward bar like Volo to host a beer themed quiz night? The geeks could go at it and the loser will have to quaff a poorly stored Keiths!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.