Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

How do you bring home the bacon (or beer)?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Ohhh I forgot to add.............

I bring home actual bacon about twice a week. Usually double or triple smoked from the local organic farmers. I also bring it home in back bacon style. Mmmmmmmmm delicious!
What a coincidence, I picked up some double-smoked bacon bits from St. Lawrence just yesterday.

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

shintriad wrote:

I bring home actual bacon about twice a week. Usually double or triple smoked from the local organic farmers. I also bring it home in back bacon style. Mmmmmmmmm delicious!
What a coincidence, I picked up some double-smoked bacon bits from St. Lawrence just yesterday.

Sure. Try this out.

Cook that double smoked in a pan. Once cooked, drain most of the drippings out, but keep some (couple tablespoons).
Add diced shallots (2) to the renderings and cook them until they get soft, about 2 minutes. Add a cup or so of white wine (or chicken broth) and let that simmer away for a few minutes. Once it is reduced, add a jar of store bought alfredo sauce, mix it in with the pan stuff, add chopped arugala, stir quick and take off the heat. Add this sauce to freshly cooked noodles of your choice. Salt and pepper to taste, shave reggiano over top. Delicious.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

flip

Post by flip »

I'm a Software Developer for a multinational, with our office located in downtown Toronto.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
shintriad wrote:

Sure. Try this out.

Cook that double smoked in a pan....
All this bacon talk is making me think of getting some naturally-raised local bacon (antibiotic- and hormone-free) and also buy a those 'bacon press' which makes perfectly flat bacon.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm lucky enough to be able to get bacon from my Mum's farm - home cured and smoked and still on the rind so I can slice it off as thick as I desire.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I'm a 19th century cockney bootblack.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Torontoblue wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:International spy and Jai-alai champion.
I thought that was your next role, not real life? :wink:
This is my next role;
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 ... id=28&cs=1
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
shintriad wrote:

Sure. Try this out.

Cook that double smoked in a pan. Once cooked, drain most of the drippings out, but keep some (couple tablespoons).
Add diced shallots (2) to the renderings and cook them until they get soft, about 2 minutes. Add a cup or so of white wine (or chicken broth) and let that simmer away for a few minutes. Once it is reduced, add a jar of store bought alfredo sauce, mix it in with the pan stuff, add chopped arugala, stir quick and take off the heat. Add this sauce to freshly cooked noodles of your choice. Salt and pepper to taste, shave reggiano over top. Delicious.
Sounds great, I'm definitely gonna try that. Thanks!

(You may now resume your not literally bacon-related discussion.)

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I'm a software developer.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Mechanical engineering student. The consequence of this is drinking way too much Rickard's White at bad bars. Luckily the student bar brought in Tankhouse this year, and Kickoff is right beside campus :)