Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What are you cooking with right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Braised some brisket with 2/3 bottle dark horse reserve and 2/3 bottle of aged peche mortel. Absolutely fantastic.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

mad some chili with a bottle of Smashbomb. Turned out pretty good.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:Braised some brisket with 2/3 bottle dark horse reserve and 2/3 bottle of aged peche mortel. Absolutely fantastic.
I tried Peche Mortel in cooking my oatmeal this morning, and I can see how a very malty stout would bring out the beefy flavors of brisket & make killer gravy. I'd maybe use a non-coffee / non-hoppy Imperial, St-Ambroise Oatmeal or even Sinha stout which seems to have some ideal qualities.

Tuqueboy also mentioned Brooklyn Black Chocolate, possibly the strongest bargain stout we ever had here.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:Used my Creuset cast iron wok on a induction burner while glugging some Canonico Salento. Its Italian, its ruby red and peppery and cheap. When you cook wth Sambal Oelek chili paste anything else is wasted.
MEZZOMONDO NEGROAMARO SALENTO
Italy | Mgm Mondo Del Vino S.R.L.
LCBO 588962 | 750 mL | $ 7.95

Anybody got some non-expensive wines for cooking they use? And for what dish? Of course I'm finding old Belgian Strong Ales work just fine too...
In Beerum Veritas

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Since tomorrow is Stir-Up Sunday, I thought I'd post a link to the pudding recipe I used last year. I used DDC Aphrodisiaque instead of Guinness and it was fantastic! This year, I'm trying Cannery Maple Stout. Also, I reduced the amount of raisins and prunes by 1/2 cup each and added a cup of chopped dates.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/yuleti ... ecipe.html

Edit: Stir-Up Sunday was last week. Crap.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I found a recipe for a Coffee Bourbon BBQ sauce that I want to whip up. Any suggestions on an inexpensive bourbon I could use for this purpose?

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:I found a recipe for a Coffee Bourbon BBQ sauce that I want to whip up. Any suggestions on an inexpensive bourbon I could use for this purpose?
I always use Maker's Mark as my cooking bourbon.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Mind sharing the recipe? Sounds intriguing. Any idea what you're going to use it for, or just making it for no particular recipe?

maple99

Post by maple99 »

I made a "Guinness" cake but subbed DDC Aphrodiadiaque for the Guinness. Delish!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I made some Indian chicken tenders with chipotle dip.

Cubed some chik breast and dusted with lots of Tikka, a bit of Masala, some grey salt and fresh-ground ppr. Let the cast skillet get nice and hot over several minutes on medium (the handle should get hot when the iron is evenly saturated with heat) When the seasoned pan was just slightly smoking threw on some butter and EVO - and just before adding on the cubes of seasoned chicken I tossed them in whole grain flour. Browned the cubes about 5 a side (adjusting the heat to control the rate of cooking.) Let them rest on paper towel a minute to degrease.

The dip was a sealed pak of take-out Swiss Chalet rib sauce - trailer style! It ate good with the Red Racer IPA.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gonna make an ipa pizza dough this week with a red racer...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Iceman wrote: I always use Maker's Mark as my cooking bourbon.
Cool, I'll get that one. Too bad we can't get it in a smaller bottle.
andrewrg wrote:Mind sharing the recipe? Sounds intriguing. Any idea what you're going to use it for, or just making it for no particular recipe?
Sure. It's one of those "doctor" recipes where you take a store-bought sauce and give it steroids:

-In a small sauce pan, bring 1/4 cup of water just to boiling
-Stir in 4 teaspoons of instant espresso powder. Stir until dissolved.
-Stir in 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of bourbon
-Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat.
-Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.

The magazine I found it in suggests using it on chicken wings, but I don't have any kicking around. I do have a couple chicken breasts and sides of back ribs that need using up though, so it'll be one of those.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Thanks! I will definitely try this out. I usually put bourbon in my BBQ sauce when I make it, but never thought of putting coffee in before.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

andrewrg wrote:Thanks! I will definitely try this out. I usually put bourbon in my BBQ sauce when I make it, but never thought of putting coffee in before.
I love what bourbon does to BBQ sauce. I don't know too much about the drink itself (other than enjoying a good mint julep) but since it looks like I'll be buying a 750mL bottle I'll have to do a little exploring. :D

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Yeah, I've made a bunch of BBQ sauce batches with whiskey and with bourbon, respectively, and the bourbon batches always come out better. Which reminds me, I'm out of bourbon.