Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BrewDog Brews a 41% IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

BrewDog Brews a 41% IPA

Post by Pub Style »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 517607.stm

A controversial Scottish brewery has said it has reclaimed the title of the world's strongest beer from German rivals - with Sink the Bismarck at 41%.

BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, made headlines last year when it unveiled a 32% beer called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

However, Schorschbrau released the 40% strength Schorschbock.

BrewDog said its newly released 41%, Sink the Bismarck, would cost £40 for a 330ml bottle and would only be sold online.

Alcohol Focus Scotland had previously expressed concerns about BrewDog's approach.

Alcohol Focus Scotland chief executive Jack Law said: "Over the past few months BrewDog have continued to produce stronger and stronger beers.

"By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make."

But BrewDog's managing director James Watt said the company was doing all it could to promote a new and responsible approach to beer drinking.

He added: "Beer has a terrible reputation in Britain, it's ignorant to assume that a beer can't be enjoyed responsibly like a nice dram or a glass of fine wine. A beer like Sink the Bismarck should be enjoyed in spirit sized measures.

"It is important that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy."

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State, then Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I won't comment on the whole strongest beer thing, which is a little silly, but I will say that Brewdog know how to get some press, and that beating out a German beer with something called 'Sink the Bismarck' brought a smile to my face.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Those dudes are like Apple - anything they do gets talked about. Good for them.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

"By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make."

I love it! Just piss off the government enough and eventually they give up. Too bad no one in Ontario does this (not that I blame any of them).

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

kwjd wrote:"By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make."

I love it! Just piss off the government enough and eventually they give up. Too bad no one in Ontario does this (not that I blame any of them).
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't believe Alcohol Focus Scotland is a government organization.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Bobbyok wrote:
kwjd wrote:"By commenting on this irresponsible brewing practice we only serve to add to their marketing and therefore we have no further comment to make."

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't believe Alcohol Focus Scotland is a government organization.
Oh, I thought they were. I guess they are a charity designed to increase the government intervention in alcohol, not the actual government.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Pub Style wrote:"It is important that you be careful with this beer and show it the same amount of sceptical, tentative respect you would show an international chess superstar, clown or gypsy."
God DAMN, I love these guys! :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm vaguely interested in the Paradox oak-aged series of beers - costly as they are, a few oak-aged products of late seem to live up to the hype & added expense.

Had the IPA again recently, and while it's good I think we can do just as well loclally with Great Lakes Canuck (ie. for a dry, hoppy pale that has a crisp, lean malt balance.)
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

their video on this beer
may be offensive to some people

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The Vimeo link wouldn't work for me, but I found it on YouTube:

And anyone who finds it offensive either has no sense of humour, or is a lousy sausage muncher! :lol:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

northyorksammy wrote:

their video on this beer
may be offensive to some people
Why can't these guys spend some real money and get some babes for their ads? :lol:

I wonder if Great Lakes is slowly inching their way in this direction? Maybe they will brew up a "LCBO Enema" for the next project X.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Duggan is working on something with rice that will be in the 30% range

but why not just drink vodka?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

northyorksammy wrote:but why not just drink vodka?
Because there's no RateVodka or VodkaAdvocate.

You should know that better than anyone, Sammy. :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There COULD be vodkatowel comments in the Uncorked thread Len started.

Just sayin!Varietal potato vodka, anybody? :)
In Beerum Veritas