Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where's the smoke?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Derek wrote:More local, I liked the pulled pork from:
http://www.highway61.ca/index-en.html
Be wary about the other stuff there, Highway 61 has been savaged on chowhound.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Tapsucker wrote:I would like to also nominate Lou Dawgs on King St. They won't blow you away, but the food is good value and it's a nice spot for a quick bite. Taps are not as good, I think they have a pact with Sappporo.
We've been once and didn't care for the food. we found it lacked any punch and flavour. It's been a while so it could have improved... still we live nearby and haven't bothered with a return visit.

They do have a deal with Sapporo. :(

When Reggie's, nearby Lou Dawgs, opened I thought the pulled pork was good and the poutine decent. Sadly both have deteriorated and have stopped going there after about 10 visits. I think there was a change in chef.
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

lister wrote:We've been once and didn't care for the food. we found it lacked any punch and flavour. It's been a while so it could have improved... still we live nearby and haven't bothered with a return visit.
+1

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

lister wrote:
Derek wrote:More local, I liked the pulled pork from:
http://www.highway61.ca/index-en.html
Be wary about the other stuff there, Highway 61 has been savaged on chowhound.
For good reasons mostly. I went once and don't really plan to go back, but it wasn't horrible. For a place that talks about their smoker, nothing had the taste of it. Many people on chowhound have talked about issues like getting pieces of meat that are majority fat and the management didn't care about the complaints.

The beer list was pretty good though, with only Ontario micros on tap. I'm a big fan of the Cobblestone Stout so it was nice to have with the meal.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

An interesting topic.
I have a friend here in London who wants do open a real BBQ place/brewpub. I think it is a great idea. It would be great to see a real BBQ place here. Though I don't know how realistic the options are.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Buffalo has a good BBQ joint called Fat Bob's Smokehouse, which is situated in Allentown:

http://www.fatbobs.com

It gets the thumbs up from beer lovers too:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19494

I think I'll stop by there again next time I visit Buffalo. The food is damn good, and they have Gemini on tap, which aint too shabby.
Last edited by Bobsy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:and they have Gemini on tap

You had me at "and."
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Cool! There is another BBQ place in Buffalo (Kentucky Greg's) that we were planning to go to but the beer selection is terrible. I think we'll do Fat Bob's instead.
lister

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Has anyone tried Camp31 in Paris? I've had their ribs at ribfest, but never ventured to their restaurant which isn't far from me.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

phirleh wrote:Has anyone tried Camp31 in Paris? I've had their ribs at ribfest, but never ventured to their restaurant which isn't far from me.
Lots of reviews on chowhound. Seems to get mixed reviews.

We went last summer when we were out that way for a wedding. Overall we liked the food but didn't find it amazing. The pulled pork sandwich was really greasy but was otherwise good. Service staff were friendly. Out of all the BBQ places we've been my girlfriend still loves the ribs at Dinosaur the most.

Beer on tap at the time was Great Lakes Red Leaf and one of their lagers. Better than the macros but kind of dull.

So if you happen to be over that way Camp 31 is worth a visit but I wouldn't drive all the way out there just to go there.
lister

jcc

Post by jcc »

lister wrote:
phirleh wrote:Has anyone tried Camp31 in Paris? I've had their ribs at ribfest, but never ventured to their restaurant which isn't far from me.
Lots of reviews on chowhound. Seems to get mixed reviews.

We went last summer when we were out that way for a wedding. Overall we liked the food but didn't find it amazing. The pulled pork sandwich was really greasy but was otherwise good. Service staff were friendly. Out of all the BBQ places we've been my girlfriend still loves the ribs at Dinosaur the most.

Beer on tap at the time was Great Lakes Red Leaf and one of their lagers. Better than the macros but kind of dull.

So if you happen to be over that way Camp 31 is worth a visit but I wouldn't drive all the way out there just to go there.
I've not been to Camp 31, generally don't feel like eating more BBQ after the competition in Paris each year, but imagine they are fine.

There was a fairly critical article in the Ottawa Citizen a couple years back about what passes for BBQ at ribfests. May explain why most commercial BBQ doesn't really taste like BBQ (there are exceptions of course).

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 0abe9bed69

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Beer Bistro has an amazing pulled pork sandwhich imvho...I purchased their cookbook just for the pulled pork recipe (unfortunately they didn't give away their sauce recipe).