Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Some Southern Tier News

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Some Southern Tier News

Post by Bobsy »

I figured this might be of interest to cross-border shoppers. Southern Tier is exanding, adding two new beers and retiring two, as per this site:

http://beernews.org/2010/02/southern-ti ... w-brewery/
Owner, Phin DeMink, discussed the brewery’s growth in a Post-Journal story from March of last year: “Really, what we need the most is warehouse space. [...] We’ve expanded our product line and we just need more space for the products and the raw materials.” Space is just what the brewery will get with this expansion.

Flash forward a year later and Head Brewer, Paul Cain, explains, “We have moved our operations out of the 10k sq foot leased space that we opened in 2002, into a brand new 30k sq foot facility that we designed and built from the ground up, and we own it! Highlights in the new Southern Tier plant include a 2,000 bbl fermentation cellar and a 6k sq foot cooler to accommodate all finished product for cold storage.”

To boot, the new pub area will now have 14 draft lines and an imported bottle selection.

To kick off a new decade and the new brewery, Southern Tier will re-introduce its entire 12 oz. line in new packaging by this summer. Each beer will have a new label and the six-pack holders will have higher sidewalls.

Two new beers are also on the schedule: Southern Tier 2xIPA and Southern Tier Farmer’s Tan Imperial Lager. Says Cain, “2xIPA is a totally new beer, 18 degrees, brewed with Maris Otter malt and whole hops while Unearthly runs at 23 degrees and is primarily Cara malts and wheat.” This will be available in six-packs (and presumably on draft). The Imperial Lager will follow in 22 oz. bottles and on draft this summer.

Cain, however, lamented the discontinuation of two beers: Uber Sun and Cherry Saison. Cherry Saison is among Southern Tier’s lowest-rated beers on RateBeer. More will be disappointed in the loss of Uber Sun, which has earned an A- grade on Beer Advocate.
Goodbye Uber Sun and Cherry Saison. Hello 2xIPA and Farmers Tan!

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

As previously mentioned in some other threads, the brewery's move to a new location was a very complex exercise and was the reason our last private order was delayed. However, Southern Tier really needed to expand its facilities as they're dealing with an ever increasing demand for their beers.
Right now we are working on details for the next round of ST private ordering and will post the information as soon as it is finalized.

A sizeable quantity of Choklat is destined to hit the LCBO stores this fall in and hopefully in its tracks will be another ST product.

It is great to know that Bar Towelers contributed to the brewery's expansion, as well as its continuous success, through your orders, support of Southern Tier IPA at the LCBO and by sharing your beer and your impressions with others. Your support is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roland + Russell wrote:
A sizeable quantity of Choklat is destined to hit the LCBO stores this fall in and hopefully in its tracks will be another ST product.
Ecstatic! Should be a killer success.

Iit's getting harder to find the IPA during the expansion, but still worth it for a solid fix of nice hops. I like what these folks do.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Good info.. thanks Bobsy + R&R.

Has anyone been to the brewery (old or new)? Thoughts?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Good to see success coming to those who earn and deserve it.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

.....and the six-pack holders will have higher sidewalls.
Thank heavens... those sidewalls were dangerously low....the LCBO must be really happy now...

Missed this thread earlier. Look forward to the new offerings, new six-packs holders and all.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I would love to see the LCBO bring in Heavy Weizen.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Ralphus wrote:Good info.. thanks Bobsy + R&R.

Has anyone been to the brewery (old or new)? Thoughts?
I've been to the brewery twice. Once in Summer and once in Spring. I would highly recommend making the trip to all TO beer geeks. If you think their beers are good in the bottle...well, let's just say that the Pumpking on tap brought me to my knees. The old tap room was nice, but way too small, and got pretty crowded after a Sat tour. Their bottle selection was poor because of the limited warehouse space. There is a hilly state park (Allegany) 30 mi East that has plenty camp sites and cabins. Nothing beats a day of hiking followed by a fresh Unearthly. Looking forward to checking out the new digs Victoria day weekend.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

note that their tasting room is only open thursday night through saturdays

My oldest son works in the summer at a camp nearby, so maybe this year is the one to visit him