Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Top 10 beers brewed in Ontario by ratebeer average

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Queef wrote:I was out at Beaus this past weekend, and in the retail shop was a sign stating that coming soon was not only the Beaver River IPA, but a Belgian Imperial Stout. According to the girl there at the store that day, aged with oak in the fermenters. Guess I'll be heading back out that way in a few weeks for some.
Awesome! The IPA is fantastic and a Belgian Imperial Stout could be magical.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bobsy wrote:
Queef wrote:I was out at Beaus this past weekend, and in the retail shop was a sign stating that coming soon was not only the Beaver River IPA, but a Belgian Imperial Stout. According to the girl there at the store that day, aged with oak in the fermenters. Guess I'll be heading back out that way in a few weeks for some.
Sounds like they're really picking up their game, looks like all that traveling they've been doing has started to rub off.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
Queef wrote:I was out at Beaus this past weekend, and in the retail shop was a sign stating that coming soon was not only the Beaver River IPA, but a Belgian Imperial Stout...
More Ontario imperial stouts the better. Not every new stout is likely to be great (or to everyone's liking) esp given the lack of local experience - so the more attempts the better.

How you guys find the GR Russian Gun now that it's been around a few years? I personally find it sort of sweet and almost winey like one made by Weyerbacher or something. It's different!
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Not really, no.

Just like Ontario, Quebec has a few really solid breweries, and bunch of mediocre ones, and more than a few awful ones.

I agree, and yet disagree

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

My Ontario list would have one more from Durham Brewing on it -- either Black Eye or Red Dragon. And something from Grand River (Vlaams Rood?), also perhaps Amsterdam Bock.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote: How you guys find the GR Russian Gun now that it's been around a few years? I personally find it sort of sweet and almost winey like one made by Weyerbacher or something. It's different!
I love the Russian Gun from last year, but I've always thought of it as more of a stellar old ale than a russian stout.

That said, it did beat the Wellington Imperial at the last Canadian Brewing Awards (rated according to BJCP style).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm finding the bottled Russian Gun a little nicer than draught, Derek. I dig Grand River, and this is honestly an 'odd duck' brew for me - it's just not trying to be what other Impy Stouts seem to be.

Should I age six or eight of these, or is that a bad idea? (And the Hirsch?)
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:I'm finding the bottled Russian Gun a little nicer than draught, Derek. I dig Grand River, and this is honestly an 'odd duck' brew for me - it's just not trying to be what other Impy Stouts seem to be.

Should I age six or eight of these, or is that a bad idea? (And the Hirsch?)
i just had a russian gunn that was bottles feb 8th, it was the best this brew has ever been! this is one that needs some bottle time to come together. 1 - 3 months from bottling time @ least

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Thanks Matt, yeah exceptionally tasty, almost a rooty spice flavor to it also.
In Beerum Veritas

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

Sad thing is that list is full of beer I will never have the chance to try as distribution is so poor.

The lack of distribution hurts so many brewers I would think. I don't know all the costs or politics involved with distributing in Ontario but have to assume it's high. A shame really for the brewer and the consumer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Matty D wrote:Sad thing is that list is full of beer I will never have the chance to try as distribution is so poor.
Is the case at Cooper St a fluke (lab testing) and will I have to drive to Guelph to buy more?

Could hardly call it part of a 'seasonal relrease' if if doesn't even count for most of Ontario.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:
Matty D wrote:Sad thing is that list is full of beer I will never have the chance to try as distribution is so poor.
Is the case at Cooper St a fluke (lab testing) and will I have to drive to Guelph to buy more?

Could hardly call it part of a 'seasonal relrease' if if doesn't even count for most of Ontario.
what beer are you referring too?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oops, I meant Russian Gun - the GR.
Should have posted the Q: in forum thread LCBO - SPRING SEASONALS:
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:Oops, I meant Russian Gun - the GR.
Should have posted the Q: in forum thread LCBO - SPRING SEASONALS:
the distrobution is supposed to be pretty good on that one. 90 stores.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

thanks matt, I am going to rerate from the bottle