Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Top 10 beers brewed in Ontario by ratebeer average

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:^ Agreed. Pretty confident we are thinking of the same two. Ugh.
Some people just like chocolate. I've heard people describe both of those beers as the best beers they've ever had in their entire lives. I don't get it either.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:^ Agreed. Pretty confident we are thinking of the same two. Ugh.
Some people just like chocolate. I've heard people describe both of those beers as the best beers they've ever had in their entire lives. I don't get it either.
Chocolate tends to make everything taste overwhelmingly... like chocolate. It's probably not even the beer they like - but I'm happy if they do. Maybe it's a gateway beer to something with more balance.

Hell people like red wines that taste more like a spicy raspberry chocolate dessert than anything I would ever drink. There's gold in them thar hills...
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I've had friends from the states RAVE about both FM chocolate beers.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sprague11 wrote:I've had friends from the states RAVE about both FM chocolate beers.
People here on BT rave about Southern Tier's Chokolat and I think the FM beers are very similar.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

If you know what to expect I think they're good beers....the FM chocolate ones. I've had chocolate indulgence (Ommegang) and Choklat from ST...they're all pretty crazy, but great to enjoy every so often.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, fair enough, and I've been known to serve Choklat in small portions at the end of a special occasion dinner. But Top Ten beer in Ontario? Never. To me that means something you look forward to sitting down and having a couple of nice pints of. But I suppose others' criteria may vary.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:I've had chocolate indulgence (Ommegang) and Choklat from ST...
WADR to Southern Tier (esp. the MoKah) I think the Ommegang Indulgence is on a whole higher level of chocolate ex-beeriences, it's just quite good and worth a grab, even at the seemingly high price. Maybe I lucked out on a particularly good bottle?

I remember Rogue Chocolate Stout (where'd Rogue go?) used to do well here, and the beer had a nice balance and even kept a long time in the beer cellar. I was always hoping for the excellent Mocha Porter to show up...
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I'm currently drinking Chocolate Manifesto for the first time. The aroma and taste both remind me of Pot of Gold chocolates, not one piece, the whole fucking box at one time.

I don't dislike it, but it's not Top 10. If it were in the $6-8 range I would consider getting it again, but at $12, no chance.
"There's always money in the banana stand."