Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Change in Duggan's Bottle Size?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Flood

Change in Duggan's Bottle Size?

Post by Flood »

I came past these bottles upon receiving our latest shipment of #9.
They're smaller now, 275 mL in volume.... yet, the decrease in volume was not reflected on the invoice price!

Any thoughts on this?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sometimes being different is smart, other times.......

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Flashy new bottles that look nice, but this is ultimately assuming the customer is too dumb to notice.
I won't be buying them anymore.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I bought the old Mill St Organic teeny-tiny bottles once and never again.

It's disappointing that Duggan's is going ahead with this smaller size. I won't be buying any.
lister

TJ

Post by TJ »

20% less beer for the same price? Pass.

First the pints at the pub are smaller and now this? I find these sorts of niggardly practices incredibly off-putting.

Anyway, if I was you I'd call them out on this.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TJ wrote:20% less beer for the same price? Pass.

First the pints at the pub are smaller and now this? I find these sorts of niggardly practices incredibly off-putting.

Anyway, if I was you I'd call them out on this.

One other thing I find a bit nefarious is that at my local bar, these new #9s were delivered as usual, but the bar had no advance notice of the size change, and as the OP said, were charged the same on the invoice.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

SteelbackGuy wrote:One other thing I find a bit nefarious is that at my local bar, these new #9s were delivered as usual, but the bar had no advance notice of the size change, and as the OP said, were charged the same on the invoice.
That's the part that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Duggan can sell #9 by the thimble for all I care, but the price should reflect the volume of beer sold. Adil/Milos really should complain. I would.

If it's because the bottles are more expensive then it's an even dumber move because the previous bottles were perfectly fine and I can't think of anybody who would choose less beer in a fancier bottle if given the choice.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

lister wrote:I bought the old Mill St Organic teeny-tiny bottles once and never again.

It's disappointing that Duggan's is going ahead with this smaller size. I won't be buying any.
I remember doing the exact same thing when they came out, I bought them once and immediately felt ripped off. I may pay a smaller premium for an organic beer in a regular sized bottle, but getting the smaller bottle just seems deceptive. Was Duggan at Mill Street when they released the original Organic in the "sample size"?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Milos

Post by Milos »

I have yet to call the brewery to find out if this is just a clerical error or if the price really remains the same.
So many beers and so little time!!

WilliamEstevan

Post by WilliamEstevan »

That's damned annoying. I hate how companies feel that consumers are too dumb to notice decreases in volume like that; and I hate how many consumers ARE too dumb to notice it.

In the past year I've seen price increases on the awful coffee my parents buy, which went from a 1kg tin price @$8 to a 970g tin, priced at $10. No fanfare, no price decrease, just a retooling and adjustment of the label. Crackers? Same deal, went from a 250g box @$2.39 to a 225g box @$2.69.

Sadly, I think the bottles look pretty cool... but they should be a promotional thing sold cheaply (at a loss, even) to bars which wouldn't normally carry decent local beer. There's ways to spin this positively, but why do that when you can take advantage of your customers?

Okay, I think I'm done ranting.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

WilliamEstevan wrote:...Okay, I think I'm done ranting.
Well then, I'll pick up the rant! I'm not well informed on the details of the beer bottle deposit/return programme, but where do you take those non-standard bottles back for credit? The pub? The brewery?

I stopped ranting a while back about overpriced badly roasted crap coffee. I buy beans wholesale with some buddies, and we roast our own. Yum!

Milos

Post by Milos »

All the bottles can be returned to Beer Store, there is no difference there.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Can anyone confirm whether or not the new size bottle still comes in a 4 pack? I was under the impression that they were moving to 6 packs with the smaller bottle size, in which case the same price is a deal because there is an overall volume increase. If, however, they are still charging the same price for a 4 pack of the smaller bottles, then that, indeed, is a rip off.

Milos

Post by Milos »

I did have a chance to exchange an email with Michael earlier today. I do not want to start quoting from a private email; let Michael do it if he feels the need.
aside from other, he points out his price was much lower than others.
It was an intention since the beginning to use the 275ML bottle. It was just delayed. It is true that #9 was cheaper on a case that all the other craft beers.
I was always aware of it and the cost is reflected in our selling price in Chancey Smith's. There is no question in my mind that #9 is still a great beer!! We will continue to offer it on our beer list and as a good will gesture lower the price per bottle from $4.55 to $4.25.
It will be up to every beer drinker to decide if it is worth the price or not.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not the new size bottle still comes in a 4 pack?
It WILL be available in a six, but there are packaging hold-ups for the fancy new bottles so they are only selling Duggan's #9 in 24-packs at the moment.

It used to be $8.75 for 4 x 341ml. That's $52.50 for a 24-pack.

Now they sell a 24-pack of the 275mls for 42.50.

Before was = 6.41 a liter, now is = 6.44 a liter.
Same cost per ml if what they told me is accurate. Not factoring the extra bottle deposit refund.

Kip at Duggans believes the sixes will sell at the brewery for <> 10.50 but please don't go on that as he was not yet sure. MS Organic was cheaper than that for a six but then those were 200ml pipettes, 37.5% smaller, not to compare the beers.

Mike D's not being the bad guy here, especially if you buy the #9 take-out.
In Beerum Veritas