Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Denison's Weissbier

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Denison's Weissbier

Post by Chris »

I've been elated ever since Denison's Weissbier has become available in cans -- buying out the stock at my local LCBO with each visit. While I love the current flavour, even before it was available in cans, the Weissbier that has been available on draft didn't seem to be "as good" as what I remember back when I had it in the old Denison's Brewpub on victoria street (the site of what is now Duggans brewery). It didn't seem to have quite the intensity of flavour as what it used to have.

Normally I prefer consistency in beer from one bottle to the next (or can to the next as the case may be!). As I sit here on my back patio enjoying the weather, I am overjoyed to report that my current can of weissbier is very inconsistent with the others that I've had thus far. In this can is a wonderfully flavoured beer, exploding with a strong banana and other fruity flavours. It is the closest thing that I've tasted to that original brewpub flavour. I hope this is a sign of things to come and not some random can that perhaps was filled from the bottom of the tank with extra yeast in it.

Don't get me wrong -- I still think even the draft that we've had over the past few years is the best wheat beer available. This can however is absolutely incredible! Anyone else experiencing this difference in flavour from one can to the next?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Chris wrote:I've been elated ever since Denison's Weissbier has become available in cans -- buying out the stock at my local LCBO with each visit. While I love the current flavour, even before it was available in cans, the Weissbier that has been available on draft didn't seem to be "as good" as what I remember back when I had it in the old Denison's Brewpub on victoria street (the site of what is now Duggans brewery). It didn't seem to have quite the intensity of flavour as what it used to have.

Normally I prefer consistency in beer from one bottle to the next (or can to the next as the case may be!). As I sit here on my back patio enjoying the weather, I am overjoyed to report that my current can of weissbier is very inconsistent with the others that I've had thus far. In this can is a wonderfully flavoured beer, exploding with a strong banana and other fruity flavours. It is the closest thing that I've tasted to that original brewpub flavour. I hope this is a sign of things to come and not some random can that perhaps was filled from the bottom of the tank with extra yeast in it.

Don't get me wrong -- I still think even the draft that we've had over the past few years is the best wheat beer available. This can however is absolutely incredible! Anyone else experiencing this difference in flavour from one can to the next?
The first batch of cans was awful. The second one was better but not great. Hopefully the latest one is a sign of what it will be on a long-term basis. I've got to go get some now. What's the date on the cans you got?